Rooster Trip in South Dakota

Herve

Rooster Trip in South Dakota

Post by Herve » Mon May 27, 2013 10:20 am

I'm planning a Pheasant Trip in South Dakota for end of October.
We are a 3 or 4 hunters team, with 5 dogs. We begin with a long trip from Quebec... We hunt in public lands (WIA, CREP) without guide, probably in the east region of Aberdeen.

My problem is to find accomodation. On the web, I find only full service hunting lodges. Do you have advice about kind of accomodation (hotel, motel, lodge...)? Is it easy with dogs?

I plan to end the trip near Pierre and the Grasslands to hunt sharp-tail grouse and other birds I have nerver seen. I have not found info about it on forums. Any idea?

Scott Linden

Re: Rooster Trip in South Dakota

Post by Scott Linden » Mon May 27, 2013 8:28 pm

The people of South Dakota are welcoming and friendly. On the Grasslands, call and talk to a wildlife biologist. The same is true for other areas. Most towns will have hotels or motels that welcome hunters and dogs - just search Google for the area you want to visit. Aberdeen's chamber of commerce is also very helpful and populated by dog owners/hunters. You will be very late for sharpies - they will have been hunted since mid-September, so will be very hard to get close to.

Are you bringing pointers or flushers? Pheasants will run if you find them in crops; heck on a pointing dog. A flusher will excel in that situation. Remember, your 10-day non-resident license is broken into two five-day pieces; just run the dates together for a long trip; and watch the time of day you are allowed to start hunting. Good luck.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue May 28, 2013 5:56 am

If you can make motel reservations now most are full in October and November. Public land birds were down around Aberdeen last year due to drought. Good Luck Cj

david0311

Post by david0311 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:25 am

Herve wrote:I'm planning a Pheasant Trip in South Dakota for end of October.
We are a 3 or 4 hunters team, with 5 dogs. We begin with a long trip from Quebec... We hunt in public lands (WIA, CREP) without guide, probably in the east region of Aberdeen.

My problem is to find accomodation. On the web, I find only full service hunting lodges. Do you have advice about kind of accomodation (hotel, motel, lodge...)? Is it easy with dogs?

I plan to end the trip near Pierre and the Grasslands to hunt sharp-tail grouse and other birds I have nerver seen. I have not found info about it on forums. Any idea?

RamKota motel Aberdeen--good motel-dog friendly--

Pierre---can"t help you there--but will be guiding at full service lodge near there this year-

As previous poster said get reservations early--now not to early--some in popular areas book from year to year

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue May 28, 2013 2:23 pm

For finding public land, the easiest way is to download the map data from the Dept of Fish and Game into a Garmin GPS. The map data has color coded the public land so you won't ever mistake private land for public land. http://gfp.sd.gov/wildlife/gps/default.asp

Check with the biologists as recommended earlier and also check the drought monitor maps to make sure you're going to an area that has not be hit by the drought. http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/ Aberdeen looks like it's ok.

For accomodations, I think you should be able to find a motel after the first weekend of the season.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Tue May 28, 2013 3:04 pm

FYI: South Dakota requires a bill of health from a vet for your dog(s).

Herve

Post by Herve » Wed May 29, 2013 3:22 am

Many thanks for all your answers!
We bring English Setters. Only one knows pheasant (and she knows that it's not easy to stop these running birds!). The challenge is to discover new game species and to see how the dogs adapt to them!

I hurry to book a motel!

What is the best way to contact biologists? By the Dept of Game & Fish?

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed May 29, 2013 10:46 pm

Ramkota in Pierre also good - my dog has spent time in the bar!

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed May 29, 2013 10:48 pm

Pierre---can"t help you there--but will be guiding at full service lodge near there this year-

Where are you guiding? I spend some time in the area every year making shows.

deke

Post by deke » Thu May 30, 2013 11:02 am

Scott : Are you the guy on t.v. with the wirehair named "buddy?"

Herve

Post by Herve » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:01 pm

david0311 wrote:As previous poster said get reservations early--now not to early--some in popular areas book from year to year
20 emails, a half has been answered, only 1 available. So I've booked!
And hunting is in 5 months!!!
But if everythink is already booked today, it's maybe because South-Dakota is a hunter paradise!

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:18 pm

I usually hunt around Huron/Alpina on a friend's place, and have for 20 yrs off and on. But I may not go this year. It's been mediocre for a few years on his land. I'm usually the only one with dogs and there are about 15 hunters, 2/3rds of which are kids or young adults. Some of those kids have some bad gun habits with those black plastic autos they carry. I'm about burnt out on running my dogs for that many people, especially with bad gun habits. I guess I'd never make it as a dog handler for money.

david0311

Post by david0311 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:08 am

Scott Linden wrote:Pierre---can"t help you there--but will be guiding at full service lodge near there this year-

Where are you guiding? I spend some time in the area every year making shows.
If that question was for david0311---will be guiding at Scatter Gun--checked out several and settled on there after looking over several operations--dc

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:29 am

roaniecowpony wrote:I usually hunt around Huron/Alpina on a friend's place, and have for 20 yrs off and on. But I may not go this year. It's been mediocre for a few years on his land. I'm usually the only one with dogs and there are about 15 hunters, 2/3rds of which are kids or young adults. Some of those kids have some bad gun habits with those black plastic autos they carry. I'm about burnt out on running my dogs for that many people, especially with bad gun habits. I guess I'd never make it as a dog handler for money.
Small world Chuck,

One of my best friends lives and works in Alpena, SD.

We may meet up one day yet.

Nate

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:46 am

take it easy on the dogs. hard to keep them running for that long of a hunt. Cj

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:07 am

Not sure if you have booked something for Pierre yet but Mike and Jodi at the Fort Pierre Motel are hard to beat.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:26 am

bigdaddy wrote:FYI: South Dakota requires a bill of health from a vet for your dog(s).
Most states have similar laws. It's just that nobody enforces them. Even my vet said that when I asked her to give me a vet check certificate the first year I took the lab to SD. I've never had a agricultural checkpoint in any state ask for dog vet check papers. Although I've had them ask for horse vet check papers.

Fieldwalker

Post by Fieldwalker » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:12 am

When we originally started traveling to areas that (luckily) wasn't easily researched via the internet... we actually would call local restaurants and gun/hunting shops. Most small towns still have "off the map" lodging available.

-Scott