Condition pup to gunfire

Wyobohunter

Condition pup to gunfire

Post by Wyobohunter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:19 pm

What age do most folks start? What methods are used?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: Condition pup to gunfire

Post by birddogger » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:46 pm

There is plenty of info on methods used on here if you do a search. IMO, age makes little difference. It is more about proper intro. It is all about association....associating the bang with something good/fun. Like I said, do a search on here and you will find the different methods used.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:09 pm

Get the Perfect Start DVD - it shows you exactly how to do good gun intro.

www.perfectionkennel.com

Wyobohunter

Condition pup to gunfire

Post by Wyobohunter » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:59 pm

It's probably worth every penny but I can't swing it right now. Ordered the NAVHDA "green book" for now.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:07 pm

That'l work.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:33 am

As stated, lots of info out there. I have started the process when the pup is around 3-4 months and never had any issues. But some dogs just seem inherently more sensitive to noise.

I always do it by having someone shoot a .22 when I am playing with the dog, from far enough away that it is barely noticeable, and not in any way loud. Have them slowly move closer while you and the dog are playing, and when the dog starts to pay attention to the sound, back off or quit. Eventually they stop paying attention, or start associating the shot with fun times.

Whatever method, I think the key is to do it slowly and gradually, and keep an eye out to how the dog reacts. The pup should associate guns with fun. And be sure to introduce the dog to a shotgun using a similar slow, gradual method while the dog is doing something fun (preferably involving birds).

I am always dumfounded by the casual bird hunter that tells me their bird dog is gun shy, but then proceeds to tell the story of how they took it out hunting and shot a 12 gauge over it for the first time, and ran the other way! Or they took the dog along and left it in the back of their truck while they sited in their 7mm mags.....