A question on tapping a dog's head as "Fetch" is given

Thornapple

A question on tapping a dog's head as "Fetch" is given

Post by Thornapple » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:01 am

For years I have always trained and successfully released my dogs standing next to them using the "go", "heel", or "Fetch" commands. Each is used consistantly, has a specific purpose, and the dogs understand what each means. However I have been told recently that with my "Fetch" command I should tap the dog's head as I give the command and release the dog. Does any one understand its value, purpose, or why it is necessary?
I have heard a lot of guesses, but when I probe further I find out the answer is just that, a guess. Does anyone out there know for sure why this is used and for what purpose? I have my theories, but like all the other answers it is just a guess.
Thornapple

millerms06

Re: A question on tapping a dog's head as "Fetch" is given

Post by millerms06 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:40 am

Well what is your theory behind it then? I know the answer, but I would really like to see if you know it already.

drcrabbs

Post by drcrabbs » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:41 am

A number of amateur and pro field trial handlers send their dogs using the dogs name and/or touching the dog either on the head or rump instead of telling the dog to "fetch". The best explanation I have heard is using "fetch" may lead to a dog breaking in a backing situation when the other handler sends their dog using "fetch".

Dean

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:47 am

The theory I've heard (and practice) for tapping the dog's head is the same as intermixing their name with fetch. At some point, you can release with just their name, or just the tap. A "silent" fetch, if you will. Great for trials if you don't want to potentially screw up a brace mate's honor, especially if it has been trained to bolt on "fetch." Also nice for the duck pond if birds are working and a loud "fetch" could potentially screw up the next flock.

I tap my dog's ear on fetch for this very reason. Also because a back-of-the-head tap is for "easy" -- when I want him to relocate on a pointed bird I can't find, but that I don't want flushed.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:30 am

I agree with using the dogs name, but I tap em on the right flank. Tapping on the head can lead to a dog breaking when you go to collar him away from a find. If you don't grab the collar or slip and tap the head. Bye bye, pick em up. :evil:

Seen it happen more than once.

Doug

deke

Post by deke » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:52 am

I trained mine to do it because when we are in the duck blind sometimes things get hectic and he ends up next to someone else. He wouldn't fetch unless I told him to, and it got frustrating because I would not think about sending him if he was not next to me. So I started overlaying his fetch command with a head touch and now anyone can release him, from either side of the blind or boat. That is why I started doing it, but I am curious if there is another reason?

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:47 am

It's used as a silent command. Also to avoid confusion on the retrieve when handling multiple dogs.

Thornapple

Post by Thornapple » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:13 pm

MillerMS06
The answer to your question I believe is what others mentioned here. After I posted this question I spoke to a friend this morning who ran two national field trial GSHP champions many years ago. He mentioned it was designed for a couple of reasons in field trails many years ago. 1) To not confuse a brace mate on a backing if they word "Fetch" is used for the pointing dog, and 2) secondarily to maintain silence in the field as much as is reasonable especailly when being judged. I also spoke to a NAVHDA judge and they indicated it also shows control or obediance. It is not a major item as in the NAVHDA utility tests as each dog is being judged on its own merits, but again it demonstrates handler control and obediance. Except of course for the NAVHDA Invitational where it is important to demonstrate obediance when paired with a bracemate.
Does this square with your knowledge?

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Thornapple wrote:MillerMS06
1) To not confuse a brace mate on a backing if they word "Fetch" is used for the pointing dog, and 2) secondarily to maintain silence in the field as much as is reasonable.

That is my understanding behind it. With the exception that I use the dog's name instead of the word fetch.

Winchey

Re: A question on tapping a dog's head as

Post by Winchey » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:22 pm

[quote="Ricky Ticky Shorthairs"]I agree with using the dogs name, but I tap em on the right flank. Tapping on the head can lead to a dog breaking when you go to collar him away from a find. If you don't grab the collar or slip and tap the head. Bye bye, pick em up. :evil:

Seen it happen more than once.

Doug[/quote

Unless the dog marked the bird and ran and knocked itnwhen it set, why would a dog be picked up for essentially being released?

I do it so I don't accidently release my dog or have someone else do it in trials by saying something. Otherwise I don't care that much between the dogs name, fetch, a whistle, alright or whatever

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:41 pm

I cannot answer for anyone else. I have pointers and there is no retrieve required in competitions for this breed. But I do want them to grow roots once they establish point.

The reason I use a physical cue as a release is to assure that the dog does not move in any way once it has established point...until physically cued. This eliminates the possibility that any other distraction could be misinterpreted by the dog as a release. I also use a tap on the flank, to avoid an accidental touch on the head type release.

RayG