Ruffed Grouse chicks

Rod W

Ruffed Grouse chicks

Post by Rod W » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Well, they finally hatched, probably a few weeks back. 9 out of 10 of the eggs hatched out in the nest, I had found while mushroom hunting. That is not the reason for this post---I recently came across a video from the Ruffed Grouse Society forums of a hen grouse with 13 chicks in tow, they were filmed crossing the road. 8 ran or walked across and 5 flew across! http://lifewithllewellins.com/video-hen ... -the-road/ I truly believe both of these clutches were in the Milwaukee vicinity!!!!
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

CDN_Cocker

Re: Ruffed Grouse chicks

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:22 am

Awesome video!!!!!! The little guys are just specks flying across hahaha. I can't wait for grouse to open up. Easily my favorite thing to hunt - I daresay it even beats out deer hunting for me and I probably only ever get 1 or 2 grouse a year (maybe I'll increase that number now that I have the pup)
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Wonderful. About two Springs back on a dirt road just outside of Duluth, I came upon what I thought was an injured grouse. My wife thought I should get out and at least get it out of harms way from any cars. Turned out it was a hen taking a dust bath and there in the ditch about five feet away was a bunch of little feather balls waiting for mom to get done.

doop

Post by doop » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:10 pm

It's looking like it will be a down year around here. Normally I see numerous broods of chicks in the spring, and I haven't saw one this year, and me and my lab put on at least 3 miles everyday in grouse territory. Two years ago I could hear drumming from six locations at the same time while sitting on the front porch, last year 3, this two. Oh well, Maybe ill get some bowhunting in this year, or maybe ill have to spend more time chasing down them birds.

crappieguy

Post by crappieguy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:51 am

Didn't see many birds this year until the past week while out picking Chantrelle mushrooms. Monday we saw two batches of Ruffies in about 10 acres and we weren't even looking. Now I'm getting pumped wishing my summer away for fall.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." Benjamin Franklin