Recommend a place...

cbump

Recommend a place...

Post by cbump » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:39 am

I live in North Texas and this will be my first year ever upland hunting. I have a vizsla and this will be his first year as well. There isn't really much around where I live but I do have plans for dove and teal hunts as well as preserve hunts for quail/pheasant. However, I want to go on at least one wild bird hunt somewhere north of me. Bird species does not matter, just looking for a place with good numbers of birds that you would recommend for a couple of newbies. I have no problem with walking lots of miles or primitive camping. In fact, I have no problem backpacking in somewhere to hunt. Also, would pay for private access. Any tips? Where would you go if you had 4 or 5 days to drive pretty much anywhere and hunt?

Thanks!

ruffbritt4

Re: Recommend a place...

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:28 am

I would go to Montana. But the Dakota's would be 2nd.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:53 am

Contact the Chamber of Commerce in any small town in the Dokatas, they want you to come visit and bring money.

cbump

Post by cbump » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:13 am

Definitely interested in both suggestions. What general part of the states would you recommend?

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:29 am

I have read articles that Lewistown, Montana was the top pick for wild upland bird bird hunting.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:08 am

I heard Lewistown was a good choice. there are sharptails, pheasant, and huns in Montana

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:01 pm

In SD, anywhere in the upper 2/3 of the state along the MO. River. There are a lot of walk in CRP ground(might be hayed in a very dry year) and waterfowl production areas(have to use steel, even for upland in these areas). You can get walk in maps from the state game and parks when it gets closer to the season. NOTE---CRP walk in areas are not open to non-residents opening week end---private ground is. Early season is 12 noon start, after a couple weeks it goes to a 10 AM start. Take a skunk kit---this state has MORE skunks than any other state I've hunted :!: ---they will be dead on the road all over :roll:

BC Hunter

Post by BC Hunter » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:37 pm

LEWISTOWN went south with the rain & ice pellets! :cry:

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:17 am

Chamberlain, SD. Right on the east side of the Missouri River. DFG has GPS downloadable maps with public and CRP lands color coded to overlay in your Garmin or other make. Don't go opening weekend or you'll be sleeping in your car or camping.

808allday

Post by 808allday » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:24 pm

I'm in lubbock and I'll be heading up north this pheasant season as well. Thinking about hitting northern SD

Herve

Post by Herve » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am

As it is your first season, I suggest you to use pay (for private lands or for a guide or for an organised hunt) to be sure to see birds and to have advices about dog hunting.
Do you have pointing dog club near your home? You can find friends to hunt with.

cmc274

Recommend a place...

Post by cmc274 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:37 pm

I would take the guided approach too with only one dog and making such a long trip. Too many things that could go wrong and spoil your hunt plus not being familiar with the area, game birds, their preferred habitat and tendencies, you could be disappointed.

Maybe something like this: http://6xoutfitters.com/mt-upland-bird-hunts/

Muygrande

Post by Muygrande » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:11 pm

I'm in Fort Worth and will be planning a trip possibly to Montana this fall and maybe to southern Kansas dependning on the reports I get. I have one seasoned dog and will hopefully have a new pup to take along. Shoot me a PM.

robert_lh

Post by robert_lh » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:20 pm

BC Hunter wrote:LEWISTOWN went south with the rain & ice pellets! :cry:
Is Lewiston just crap this year then? I was considering a trip over there this fall.

mask

Post by mask » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:53 pm

If you go to eastern Montana beware of the cactus. Nobody ever seems to mention it and it is tough on a dogs feet. Get the bma maps and steer clear of most blm ground, for the most part it is over grazed and birds are few and far between. The northeast corner has been productive for us. Don't be afraid to ask a rancher to hunt their property most are quite nice. If you only have one dog try to team up with someone else that has dogs.

cbump

Post by cbump » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.
Last edited by cbump on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

cbump

Post by cbump » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:27 pm

cmc274 wrote:I would take the guided approach too with only one dog and making such a long trip. Too many things that could go wrong and spoil your hunt plus not being familiar with the area, game birds, their preferred habitat and tendencies, you could be disappointed.

Maybe something like this: http://6xoutfitters.com/mt-upland-bird-hunts/

Thanks for this suggestion but I really don't want to pay that much or use a guide or their dogs. I don't mind not killing many birds, I just want my dog to learn on wild birds. He'll never get it if we stay home. He's been at the trainer as well so he's not completely green.

cbump

Post by cbump » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:33 am

Alright, so it looks like we will be going in late December so our options are a little more limited to states that still have seasons then. Montana and SD are tops. Any tips on where to go for late season?
Will the areas around Chamberlain, SD or Lewistown, MT be overhunted by then?

Really I just want to hunt some beautiful country and if we get a bird or two that is a bonus. Probably be able to hunt 2 days of the 4 or 5 we will be there depending on the distance the ground is from the cabin we rent.

Thanks

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:03 am

Check this article out. It may be a good place to start.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/the-2 ... m_content=

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:11 am

Since I see you are from Texas, you need to be aware that it will likely be REAL cold in late December in those areas. There also MIGHT BE a lot of snow at that time of year. I can't tell you about MT., but around Chamberlin the pheasants will be grouped in bigger bunches in real heavy cover like shelterbelts or heavy cattail patches. There will be a lot of birds to be seen but they will be wild due to being hunted since mid October. Also in SD at that time of the year it will be a 10 AM opening time to sun set so you won't be able to bust them out of their roost in the mornings. Good luck where ever you decide to go.

cbump

Post by cbump » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:02 am

Yes, the cold is gonna suck for me, lol. And I was actually wondering how snow on the ground will affect the hunting. Good tips.

Thanks for the link AZ, reading it now.

cbump

Post by cbump » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:13 am

Awesome link, AZ.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:02 pm

I would steer clear of MT or the Daktoas during late Dec unless you like to hunt in below zero temps and high winds. Only "Dedicated" bird hunters venture forth during that part of the year. I lived in ND (15 years) and MT (6 years) and if you have the time to pick and choose the days you go out, some good hunting can be had. If you only have a few days you may be forced to hunt in weather that wouldn't be suitable for man or beast.

Have you ever hunted at 20 below 0 with a 20 mph wind in 2 feet of snow? It's not fun.

Pheasants will be clustered together in available cover (finding and getting to the cover would be the hard part, snowshoes maybe required), Sharptails and Huns will be as skittish as a lone woman in a room full of sailors. Good luck at getting closer than 100 yards to them.

Kansas and or Nebraska would be your best bet. Or take the money you were to spend on your trip and visit a preserve close to home that has early released birds.

My $0.02
Tom

cbump

Post by cbump » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:45 pm

What are your suggestions for Kansas or Nebraska?

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:30 pm

I believe Kansas has a program that allows hunters access to private land. I would get one of those maps, if there is one. If there are any books or atlas's get them. Contact the fish and Game Department. I've always done best by hunting on the edge of the best areas. Less pressure that way and I still find enough birds.

Prepare to adapt and overcome. If you get there and find no cover or birds don't be afraid to move "base camp" to another area/town.

This is what I've experienced...The first time you go anywhere new you spend a lot of time exploring and also hunting. The second time you go you can focus more on the hunting and secondarily searching for new areas.

It appears that you're new to the hunting scene so I would do as suggested by the folks above, maybe get a guide for a day or two to see and experience the types of cover / habitat you should be looking for when you are on your own. Preferred habitat types differ in different regions. The type of cover I hunted pheasants in in ND is much different then the types of cover they inhabit here in Idaho. And in Idaho where I hunt Huns is miles from the nearest grain field.

during the late winter down that way I have heard that there's fairly good woodcock hunt'n on the east side of Texas, and LA with public land and all. If you like to see the horizon it might not be appealing, but they sure hold for the dogs.
Tom

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:26 pm

cbump wrote:What are your suggestions for Kansas or Nebraska?
With limited time planned to hunt, Southern Kansas is a good choice. Late season weather in the Dakotas and Nebraska can be very unpredictable. Plus, Nebraska is still a pretty long haul.

Check out this site. Jerry Wells is a good guy, and he has a lot of nice property to hunt. www.sandwellsoutdoors.com They are located near Liberal KS. You could easily drive up in a day, hunt a couple of days and drive home in a day. Travel cost to and from a hunting destination can really add up.

Kansas Pheasant and Quail season ends Jan. 31st. www.kdwpt.state.ks.us

Nate