New to Morgantown WV any grouse hunters around?

twmiller0829

New to Morgantown WV any grouse hunters around?

Post by twmiller0829 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Hey all,
I just relocated to Morgantown, WV. Is there anyone in the area that grouse hunts within an hour? Always looking to meet new contacts and enjoy hunting in a new area.
Thanks,
Trey

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: New to Morgantown WV any grouse hunters around?

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:10 pm

An hour will not get you much and most, not all, WVa timber and coal lands are leased by deer and turkey hunters.
My suggestion is pony up for a lease if any are open....not for me as it leaves a bad taste but Leasing is sadly there to stay.
Most federal land is too old but you might find a bit of young stuff and the Marcellus is opening up some areas of Private which won't hurt....still, ruffed grouse will never be close to what they once were.
State lands are few and not managed for early successional....there is one small piece just west of Morgantown across I79.
Might also consider a trip to Canaan Valley or NC Pennsylvania.
If you have no dog then consider learning quoits.
Go 'EERs and good luck.

twmiller0829

Post by twmiller0829 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:05 am

Mountaineer, thanks for the advice. I have two GSP's so I won't be taking up quoits just yet. I'll look for some leases and see if any are available if not I'll keep searching the area. I've found a few birds in the 3 weeks I've been here while out on hikes but not any in concentrations or in cover that looked promising(or what I've learned to imagine as "grouse cover"). Birds seem to be scattered with random flushes as they are just out "grousing" around.

Trey

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:36 pm

Hey Trey,

I usually hunt the Laurel Highlands in the area of Laurel Ridge. (Westmoreland, Somerset, Cambria County PA) I have 1 female GSP who'll be just shy off 3yo when grouse season starts. I'm always looking for new hunting buddies, most of my friends are more interested in deer hunting than birds. Birds aren't exactly abundant, but we can usually locate some.

-John