Ohio pheasant releases

lockedncupped

Ohio pheasant releases

Post by lockedncupped » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Brother in law took a job in Cleveland area. Lives 5 minutes away from state game area that releases birds throughout the season. We are planning on coming up for Thanksgiving. Is it worth it to bring the dogs and try and get in a hunt for some of the pheasants? He said the guys at his new job told him it was a dove hunt atmosphere only guys were shooting released pheasants. I also read a post on another site where the guys were involved in arguments with others about who shot what bird. This is mind boggling to me. Just wondered if it was possible to slip away find a remote piece of land and get the dogs some action. I of course would have to get out of state hunting license and my sons license. Hate to spend a bunch of money to be really dissapointed.

Reilly Auld

Re: Ohio pheasant releases

Post by Reilly Auld » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:16 pm

All I have ever heard about the released ringneck hunts in Ohio is that they are dangerous.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Well, likely a slight exaggeration as to arguments or fisticuffs but that can happen many places with concentrations of hunters needing desperately to kill something....raining shot would be more likely.
But, any pheasant release area near a high population center will find a lot of folks early in the season and on weekends.
Holiday time?....do the math.
Not sure how large the state fields are you are thinking of but more than one group will often move in or follow another group....irregardless. :)
Not much remote land or sections of state release areas :) ...if so, they will be hunted.
Dogs encountered will be of varying ability but, with more than one group, can be a handful.
Birds themselves may not be of the best quality....luck of the draw there.
I have lived in Ohio for nearly 61 years and Ohio, which once had some fine wild pheasant hunting, now has a comparably poor release program...in all aspects, often including cover.
I would pass on the experience, especially with a younker, but if you do.....try early in the day, in mid-week and if the weather is bad.
Not an impossible situation as you may well be lucky.
Good luck....I just talked to some fellas today from TN that leased the farm next to mine for deer hunting.....that craziness is now Ohio's small claim to hunting fame.
All else is pretty much lost in Ohio to the selfishness of Leasing and the ignorance toward proper forest management.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:28 am

I can't speak for Ohio, but Illinois has a similar program, and I enjoy it. It's a decent option for people who don't have access to lands with good bird populations.
1. It takes place in a large state park. You'll sometimes have to change course to avoid running into other hunters, but that doesn't bother me. If you're familiar with the area, it's possible to find sections where you're less likely to encounter other hunters, particularly on weekdays or during the deer gun seasons.
2. It's $30 for two birds. I figure I can hunt there every day of the season for what it would cost to make a single trip to South Dakota. It's also slightly less expensive than most of the clubs in my area. Basically, I'm able to give my dog a lot of bird contacts and exercise all winter.
3. The birds they release are mature, decent flyers.
4. I enjoy checking out all the other dogs when the hunters are congregated for the check-in. There's also a lot of camaraderie and bragging and lying among the hunters.

No, it's not the same as hunting wild birds. But it's a good option.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:58 am

When I took part in the IL program I always went early and sat in the car till the hunters had moved out and it was quiet. Then I got the dogs out and started in behind everyone else. We always had our limit in a fairly short time and would give birds to other hunters who couldn't find a bird. That way we could hunt all day. Worked well and we seldom saw any other hunters close by unless you went looking for them. My advice is go but wait till the rest move out before you even start.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gtnbirdy

Post by gtnbirdy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:39 am

Released pheasant hunting on ohio state grounds can get pretty crowded in the morning at shooting time which is 0900 but hunters spread out pretty quick as hunters go their own way. Thanksgiving is probably the busiest release date because many people are off from work and kids are out of school. Thanksgiving hunting is also a tradition with many folks but it does thin out pretty quick as hunters return home for thanksgiving dinner. If you have dogs, I would wait until the main body of hunters are through the fields and are back or on the way back to the parking lots and then I would let the dogs out and hunt. That's what I do and works pretty good. Many hunters out there without dogs so they miss a lot of birds. I think you can get a nonresident 3 day tourist license for about 40.00 (check odnr website). If you are coming to ohio anyway for thanksgiving I cant think of a better way to work off that thanksgiving meal than walking behind some good hunting dogs.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:49 am

Going late is indeed not a bad idea as would be walking opposite the bent grass as most hunters all hunt the same direction in a field....it can look like a state fair has been through the field.
The other possible thought is to ask the neighbors for a short hunt...most will say no but you might get lucky and find a pushed pheasant as the birds rarely acknowledge fences.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:26 pm

I can tell you about Grand River Wildlife Area . If you go early Thanksgiving morning and hunt near the roads and parking areas it can get wild with people not knowing how to be courteous. We have went day after and had good time with dogs.

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:03 pm

I live in the tri state and am planning on doing the afternoon on the weekends and giving it a shot through the week has anyone had any better luck at rush run over caesars creek or vice versa.

lowerGSP

Post by lowerGSP » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:39 pm

not sure about Rush Run but Ceasers is packed out for the first week. Opening days i wouldnt recommend even going out there. I went last year and will never do it again. To say it was a dove hunt for pheasants is dead on to what it is. Its a shame they release the way they do. After the 2nd weekend its calms down and hunting is harder but a lot less stressfull.