PA Grouse

Cptmorgan177

PA Grouse

Post by Cptmorgan177 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:06 am

I'm heading up to PA this year and would like to get on some grouse. I am visiting family just north of State College. Anyone know of somewhere I can get on some birds? Also, I am flexible on the time of year if that makes a difference.

Gooseman07

PA Grouse

Post by Gooseman07 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:02 am

I've been told you can find them on most of the game lands up there. Don't know for sure where but my brother stumbled across some when bear hunting near state college.

mudhunter

Re: PA Grouse

Post by mudhunter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:54 am

Look on the PA game commissions website and you can find maps of the game lands. Then just start looking for young forest, anywhere they have lumbered in the past decade. You should find some birds. Early November is my favorite time, leaves are falling so you can see more, woodcock might be around, and birds aren't as spooky as they will be in late season.

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:20 pm

Bald Eagle State Forest/Park is a great place to find them. It's where I shot my first one about 20 years ago.

It's very close to State College. You can also find them in Sproul which is to the north and R B Winter to the east.

Make sure you have a good dog and good boots. Miles of hiking with a shotgun in that area should yield at least a bird or two.

I would use google maps to scout the area. Look for young forests and pine stands. I always find birds when there is a mix of the two.

There is also a huntingpa.com website with a lot of guys with good grouse info.

carnage1990

Post by carnage1990 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:07 pm

will-kelly wrote:Bald Eagle State Forest/Park is a great place to find them. It's where I shot my first one about 20 years ago.

It's very close to State College. You can also find them in Sproul which is to the north and R B Winter to the east.

Make sure you have a good dog and good boots. Miles of hiking with a shotgun in that area should yield at least a bird or two.

I would use google maps to scout the area. Look for young forests and pine stands. I always find birds when there is a mix of the two.

There is also a huntingpa.com website with a lot of guys with good grouse info.
I second this. I live and grew up hunting bald eagle state forest. Closer to the Mcelhatten/loganton side

Cptmorgan177

Post by Cptmorgan177 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:48 am

Thank you guys. I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe I'll find a few.