Hunting Colorado

SD44

Hunting Colorado

Post by SD44 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:28 am

Looking to find a place to hunt pheasants in Eastern Colorado. The walk in access areas here in Colorado are always crowded and over hunted. I am hoping to find someone that will access on their land for my son and I to come hunt. Hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction.
Cheers,
SD

Deets

Re: Hunting Colorado

Post by Deets » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:10 pm

Check out the Burlington Rooster Round up. It used to be $100 to hunt all season. The rotary club puts it on, and they get the local farmers to enroll their land. Opening day can be crowded, after that the crowds dwindle. A lot of it is corn fields, but there is usually a creek or tail water pit that hold a few birds. Or you can drive another 15 min. And hunt some better public land in Kansas.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:32 pm

If possible hunt on weekdays or right after it snows. I understand this is not an option for some folks. I've had mixed results with the rooster roundup and ringneck raider hunts. Those areas can get pretty hammered. My best hunting was near Crook, but the landowner is now leasing that property to Cabelas.

I would suggest NW Kansas, but it sounds like the bird numbers are down. If you do hunt NE Colorado WIA try to hunt away from the larger towns. You may also have more success finding private access in these areas. Stop at the local small town café or grain elevator and visit with the locals. You just may get a good lead. Be persistent, and don't get discouraged. You may need to make a few trips eastward before you locate a good area with access, but you can find it.

Good luck,

Nate

SD44

Post by SD44 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:20 am

Thanks for the advice Deets I will look into the Burlington Rooster Roundup. Sounds like a good deal.

Nate appreciate the advice as well. I will be going out East this weekend and see I can find some ol timers that wouldn't mind letting me hunt on their land.

Thanks again.
Cheers,
SD