grouse reports

doop

grouse reports

Post by doop » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:13 am

well theres still a full canopy on the trees, but i wanted to watch the dog work and see what the bird population was like. i hunted about a mile of trail, first 30 ft. he gets birdy runs in and flushes five I couldn't get a shot, but it was sure fun way too start the season. He flushed 6 more singles up the rest of the trip, looking like it might be better here this year. Last year wehad massive flooding around hatch time. Good luck, and be safe this season.

jeff shumaker

Re: grouse reports

Post by jeff shumaker » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:53 am

Thats a good sign for the little bit you where out. Down here in southeast Nebraska the quial are really coming back I have seen 2 or 3 coveys on the weekends when I have been working my old dog trying to get her into shape for season. What kind of dog do you have. Good luck this sseason

Sodey

Post by Sodey » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Doop, where in MN were you hunting?

mik

Post by mik » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:20 pm

Was a little hot and GREEN here as well yesterday...Took Otto out and in an hour and a half he pointed 5 woodcock and one grouse...No shot at the grouse and gotta wait a week on the doodles but a good start to the season in warm conditions.....

doop

Post by doop » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:42 pm

Went out again for a bit today. I'm hunting Carlton co. With my lab. We put up 8 today, 2 doubles the rest singles,. Shot once, but no luck. Really thick vegetation, and extremely hard to get more than a glimpse before they disappear. Looking promising though.

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:31 pm

I've been running dogs in different areas of WI and what I've been seeing is that there as still enough grouse to have fun, but the numbers aren't what they were a couple years ago. I haven't been seeing covey's like I'm used to, but have found enough woodcock.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:38 pm

between woodcock and sharptail kept the dog pretty busy the couple hours we where out, seemed like we found more woodcock this year then last for some reason

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:45 am

Hunted up in northern wisconsin this morning: 11 grouse finds. Took two shots and had one in the bag. Breakfast was delicious!!
Total hunt time was 2.5 hours.

Heading further north for this afternoon.

doop

Post by doop » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Went out Monday put up twenty got two Tuesday put up 8 got one wednesday tried some new ground spent 4 hours saw only 4. My best spots seem to be good just about every year, but they are prime with food and cover. It seemed .in 09 there were at least some birds everywhere. Not the case this year.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:47 am

doop wrote:Went out Monday put up twenty got two Tuesday put up 8 got one wednesday tried some new ground spent 4 hours saw only 4. My best spots seem to be good just about every year, but they are prime with food and cover. It seemed .in 09 there were at least some birds everywhere. Not the case this year.
Last year I hunted some areas that only saw traffic from big game hunters, and they are mostly friends of the family. Had grouse flushes frequently. It is still hard to tell if that will be the case this year in those spots. Yesterday was really hot, and this morning it was still pretty muggy. We will see what it will be when we get cooler temperatures...

This morning we had four grouse finds, one shot and one adult bird in the bag.

Yesterday was a real test of sorts. Brought Morgen for the afternoon hunt and some action we didn't want happened on our second stop. Got out of the truck and walked down the path with her working both sides. We get about a hundred yards from the truck and she got on some scent. Her body language at first was "yup its bird" but the further we got in she kept looking back at me. Then her tail started to puff up while she was on the scent. we get to an opening pocket below a hillside and thirty yards away, walking across the side of the hill was a really large bear. Never even noticed we were there nor looked in our direction. I was sure glad Morgen followed me back instead of getting curious about what the big black animal was.

msuhunter

Post by msuhunter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:05 pm

Hunted today after work hunted 1.5hrs had 10 flushes. Managed to get a shot at 4 of them all misses, cover is still very thick. Dog had a couple of points but birds were jumpy. The best chance I had was a bird I flushed back past me. I had a real good look at it but I hesitated as it was so close. Never got the head down on the stock.posting.php?mode=reply&f=81&t=44026# Can't hunt this weekend so it will be next week before I can go again.

mik

Post by mik » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:10 pm

hunted 2-1/2 hours today in Marathon County, WI....5 grouse put up ( 2 twice), shots at 3 and missed them all :evil:
15 woodcock on the same walk and came home with one...think I need a skeet choke for the Franchi :D a few less leaves on the trees would help a ton.
The dog got schooled by running birds today hopefully more practice on those and he'll get them figured out.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:05 pm

Hunted 2 hours yesterday . Moved 14 grouse , 6 birds pointed . All birds singles but a pair. ZERO in the bag , took 2 shots. Hunted a hour this evening in marginal cover . 1 grouse , 1 woodcock pointed. Kate pointed and retrieved her first woodcock today. It was great watching grandma Cage back Kate through the whole process

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Hunted about 5 hours Saturday with 7 birds encountered, one covey of 5 and 2 singles. Sunday hunted from 9 to 12 and saw one bird on the trail. I was hunting north central in the Outing and Remer area. Lots of cover still out there but "bleep" was it nice to be out and watching the shorthair move through the brush. I am also making a conscious effort to save all hunts this year on the Garmin Astro, should be interesting. With duck hunting already this pass weekend wasn't to much in the way of competition for any one spot.

doop

Post by doop » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Went for a couple hours Sunday, the tall grass is starting to lay down. Saw eight got 3 one adult and two young ones. I've noticed a lot of small juveniles, must've been a late hatch.

mik

Post by mik » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:25 pm

2 hours out with the Otto today in Marathon County woods yielded 4 pointed grouse and 6 grouse flushes and 2 woodcock...came home empty handed...no shots at the grouse and missed the one woodcock I had a shot at...
Ruffies were runnin today or at least 3 of them little @#$%@#'s were! Good work for the dog ...Soon the leaves will drop then it will be advantage dog and gunner :D

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Our season here in NY opens next tuesday. We have been putting up grouse and had a couple nice points on grouse & some woodcock that I had to work to get to fly. I have seen a lot of grouse this summer. In the woods, along the roadway, in my yard. I feel this year will show an increase in numbers in our area. As always since birddogs have become a major part of my life I look forward to this upcoming season as I am sure many can agree . Safe hunting to everyone with no injuries.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:24 pm

We have a few grouse in ND.
pvh2DSC_5361.JPG
pvh2DSC_5368.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:23 pm

Here are a couple videos from this evening that are not that far off from what I've been seeing so far this fall.

The first one is me working a long point (276 yards). I came up empty so I relocated her.

The second video is the third relocate. As I was walking in for the flush a grouse got up.

The relocates were all around 70 yards. The biggest difference this time was that the bird ended up being a grouse instead of a woodcock.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:49 am

The Woodcock are coming in, we had two limits, 6 birds yesterday. Probably 40 - 50 points, I have two different 2-3 hour circles where I pointed/put up perhaps 25 grouse earlier in the season. A few circles where we put up 10 -15 and all to many where I see/hear NOTHING!! Very spotty here in N Wis.
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:37 pm

All of these Woodcock that we are killing are females, do the males come in a little later as in the spring?
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

Life Member NRA

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:29 pm

And, The second hatch of woodticks is happening right now

Life Member NRA

msuhunter

Post by msuhunter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Got out for about 3 hours Saturday flushed 5 grouse shot at 3 got 1. Only flushed 1 Woodcock which was fine as I don't shoot them anymore. Leaves are starting to fall which helps. Sunny and windy today nice day for a walk in the woods, I just didn't get my legs in shape before season which is why I only hunted 3 hours.posting.php?mode=reply&f=81&t=44026#

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:42 am

Rod W wrote:And, The second hatch of woodticks is happening right now
The ticks have been horrible this fall and they seem to be more persistent. I've pulled out more than a dozen ticks out of my setter and she's current on her tick repellent (I've used two types over the last two months and they both aren't working well). At the trial I was in this weekend I bought a tick spray to see if that works.

PiperGrouse

Post by PiperGrouse » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:29 am

millerms06 wrote:Hunted up in northern wisconsin this morning: 11 grouse finds. Took two shots and had one in the bag. Breakfast was delicious!!

What part of northern Wisconsin? I was out last weekend for Grouse and got about 8ish flushes with only one bird I could shoot at, crazy cover last weekend yet, difficult to pull the trigger. We were in the Lac Du Flambeau and Park Falls Area.

mik

Post by mik » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:11 pm

Eight grouse and 9 woodcock found in 2 hours with Otto this morning in Marathon County....The one grouse we brought home he had a nice point and retrieve on...limit on woodcock for the freezer :D
Really enjoyin workin with my hunting partner this year! We'll be back out to take another crack at the grouse we left in the woods....

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Walked 3 1/2 hrs. today in prime habitat 3 grouse, 1 woodcock pointed. bagged agrouse and woodcock. Didn't see any woodcock splash. Winds have been 20-30 mi. hr. Hopefully the winds will change out of the north and we'll start seeing flight birds. Been a very poor season so far.

msuhunter

Post by msuhunter » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Sunday was about the same as Saturday 9 flushes of grouse a couple were reflushes. 1 bagged and a couple of nice points that I missedhttp://gundogforum.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=81&t=44026#. The first 3 birds I didn't even see. Weather was about the same also only less wind. Beautiful day to be outside in the woods the colors are about peak here.

woodDB

Post by woodDB » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:14 pm

PiperGrouse wrote:
millerms06 wrote:Hunted up in northern wisconsin this morning: 11 grouse finds. Took two shots and had one in the bag. Breakfast was delicious!!

What part of northern Wisconsin? I was out last weekend for Grouse and got about 8ish flushes with only one bird I could shoot at, crazy cover last weekend yet, difficult to pull the trigger. We were in the Lac Du Flambeau and Park Falls Area.
Just returned from this area... Didn't see any grouse which surprised us since the area we hunted held a decent number last year. We did manage to find a nice pocket of woodcock. Managed to bring two home while leaving the rest for all of you 8)

mik

Post by mik » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:15 pm

Hunted Otto 3 hours in Marathon County today.....Found 5 grouse with no shots at those :evil: and 8 woodcock and put 2 of those in the freezer :D shoulda had my limit of 3 but I'll give myself a break this time.....Lookin forward to the end of the week with cooler temps and a Northerly wind should bring some migrating woodies thru town.....

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:51 pm

[quote="msuhunter"]Got out for about 3 hours Saturday flushed 5 grouse shot at 3 got 1. Only flushed 1 Woodcock which was fine as I don't shoot them anymore. Leaves are starting to fall which helps. Sunny and windy today nice day for a walk in the woods, I just didn't get my legs in shape before season which is why I only hunted 3 hours.posting.php?mode=reply&f=81&t=44026#[/quotei

I had quit shooting them too, but last year started again for the new GWP, she is doing awsome! We had 15 today for brunch. The guys couldn't believe how delicious they are. To me, Quail is the best tasting upland bird and the legs (white meat) on these little Woodcock taste just like Quail or better! The breasts are also delicious----- But then aren't they always?? My wife browns the legs and the breasts in the fry pan first, egg and cracker crumbs, and then finishes them in the oven for an hour or more. She said the first time she did this, the breasts smelled a little strong, so she spread a little Soy Sauce over them and put them back in the oven. Try this and you will have fun hunting this great little bird for the rest of your life!
Last edited by Rod W on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life Member NRA

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:59 pm

The covey, only 5-6 now, finally came back out near the road, 21 grouse pointed/put up in a little over 2 hrs. Mostly in the pines, 4 shots--1 grouse. If you want good shooting, don't hunt the pines, I just do this to get my young GWP into more birds, and yes, they are running! We then move on to the popple where we find the Woodcock, very few grouse in the popple, though. I do believe, this should be the bottom of the cycle so better next year, hopefully.

Life Member NRA

msuhunter

Post by msuhunter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Short hunt after work today produced no grouse flushed but my GWP Lucy pointed and then attacked a skunk.posting.php?mode=reply&f=81&t=44026# It was in a group of tag alders and some high grass. I thought she might have a Woodcock as when I got close to her nothing happened. When I released her she reached into the grass to grab something and I feared another porkie but heard her yipe and backup. I finally saw the skunk and got her away, I think she took a small shot to the mouth. I think the skunk couldn't raise its tail to spray as I almost stepped on it. I backed off several feet and turned loose a couple of loads of 8's. Lucy is sleeping in the back of the truck tonight, I will give her a bath tomorrow. Not sure how to get the smell out of her mouth. While Lucy is a very nice dog she has tangled with 2 skunks and 6 porkies in 3 hunting seasons. A very slow learner.posting.php?mode=reply&f=81&t=44026#

mik

Post by mik » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:46 pm

7 grouse and 6 woodcock found today in 3-1/2 hours and WE GOT SCHOOLED!!! Otto is pretty ticked at me for missin (all 3 times) that one he put up in a leafless tree...He's passed out next to the lazy boy currently....I thought he was in shape, apparently he needs to be hunted some more :D

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:45 pm

9 grouse, 14 woodcock today. We bagged 1 grouse 7 woodcock. Nice sunny day. Rod we find the pines very producive on misty days.
IMG_5476 (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ms. Cage on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:51 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:9 grouse, 14 woodcock today. We bagged 1 grouse 7 woodcock. Nice sunny day. Rod we find the pines very producive on misty days.
Oh, I agree! Productive, but almost impossible to get the shot.

Life Member NRA

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:51 am

Yesterday we hunted 5 hours moving 6 grouse and 12 woodcock. We put 6 woodcock in the frying pan 0 grouse. When we got up in the woods Howie looked at me grinning and said we're gonna pound the ground today. Little did I know we wouldn't return to the truck for 5 hrs. The norm is we'd hunt and couple of dogs for a couple hour,return and change dogs.Howie and Gary cut Cage and Heidi loose , away we went The last few days have been a blast hunting with Gary Moe , Chuck and Heidi. Bracing Heidi with her mom , dad was great. It's cool watching offspring develop into nice bird dogs.

Sodey

Post by Sodey » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:23 am

Walked for five hours yesterday. Pointed one, jumped four, shot at two, got one. Didn't see or hear a single WC where we usually expect to. They were really jumpy. Maybe there is more pressure this year, though we didn't see any other hunters. I think I'll head north further next week. Maybe into WI. Seem to be better number of encounters over there. Here's Boone with his very first grouse.

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:50 pm

Spent much of the weekend cutting wood, but did get out for about 3 hours. In those three hours we saw at least 20 grouse and probably that many woodcock.

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Hit a spot I haven't tried in a long time and we probably had 15 grouse contacts with my setter pointing around 10 times in couple hours. Of all those birds I didn't have a single shooting opportunity. The grouse were running this weekend. The only time I could shoot was on some woodcock, but I don't shoot woodcock anymore so I just used them for training.

msuhunter

Post by msuhunter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:55 pm

I got out for few hours both days this past weekend not much success. 6 flushes on Saturday 2 shots one bagged GWP tangled with another porkie 2nd of the week.posting.php?mode=reply&f=81&t=44026# Sunday 4 flushes not shots conditions were good but I am just not finding birds like last few seasons.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:47 pm

Well, my little Ally, 21 month old GWP, also found her second porkie in 3 days. The first, she only had one quill but this time she had a mouth full. They put her out and pulled many I hadn't seen, but there was also another hunter at the vets with 2 dogs that tangled with Mr Porkie. His bill was $400. We sure do love this game of bird hunting!!

Life Member NRA

mik

Post by mik » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Found 6 grouse in four hours up in Lincoln County,WI today....otto pointed 4 of them just had no open shots at the birds....

He also managed to point the crap out of a porcupine and got some quills for a reward....luckily he's a smart dog and didn't go back for a second round

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Spent three days hunting grouse this weekend. Found several birds including woodcock and we bagged a few grouse. As I mentioned before the grouse are running. These aren't your September or October birds anymore. All told we probably found around 20grouse and maybe 10 or so woodcock. One of the birds we took: