I want to learn.

kibafang90

I want to learn.

Post by kibafang90 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:32 pm

I want to hunt with my weim. But know nothing about hunting.
What do i do?
Can somebody on this forum teach me a bit?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: I want to learn.

Post by topher40 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:44 pm

Post your location to start with so maybe people in the area can help you and get you off to a good start. You need to start by going hunting with someone to see if it really suits you.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Know any hunting clubs in Taunton, MA. United States. ?

I don't own a car either.

I'm 23 years old 102 pound chic. With a 13 year old AMAZING weim that would love to hunt.

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:33 am

In addition to your location, what species are you looking to hunt? The tips and strategies for hunting duck for example is different than for grouse.

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:01 pm

FirearmFan wrote:In addition to your location, what species are you looking to hunt? The tips and strategies for hunting duck for example is different than for grouse.
Not a clue... Not at all...
Was hoping somebody on this forum could send me off the right direction. :)

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:52 pm

I realy want to be encouraging, really. But your question is like asking, "I have a sailboat, where can I go to use it?"

You must give us more information to help you.

And you need to do some research and perhaps get a younger dog, 13 is a little old for a new job.

Please respond,

Neil

RichK

Post by RichK » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:34 pm

You can hunt sea ducks on the Atlantic.

This link should give you info on stocked pheasant locations.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/df ... setts.html

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:14 pm

First thing you should do is get enrolled in a hunter education class so that you will be able to obtain a hunting license and learn about gun safety. Complete that and you will be well on your way.

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:23 am

Neil wrote:I realy want to be encouraging, really. But your question is like asking, "I have a sailboat, where can I go to use it?"

You must give us more information to help you.

And you need to do some research and perhaps get a younger dog, 13 is a little old for a new job.

Please respond,

Neil
Sorry! I understand what ya mean..
But ...where can i go use this sailboat?! :D haha!

Well, what sort of information will help you guys help me assist my weim? :)
What sort of research should i start with?

I just know my weim would have a blast hunting... And i want owner up and help her feel as fulfilled as possible.
You know..my weim knows more about hunting then i do...

Bird... how do i hunt bird?

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:41 am

RichK wrote:You can hunt sea ducks on the Atlantic.

This link should give you info on stocked pheasant locations.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/df ... setts.html
Thank you! <3

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:42 am

duckn66 wrote:First thing you should do is get enrolled in a hunter education class so that you will be able to obtain a hunting license and learn about gun safety. Complete that and you will be well on your way.
Thanks!!
Do i have to hunt with guns?

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:31 am

The search feature here and google are your best friend.
Neil hit the nail on the head regarding your dogs age though. Sure, senior might have fun with a bird or two but you're not looking at anything advanced with a dog who has that much life experience. Looks like the dog has had a darn fulfilling life already with all those hobbies.

Not having a car will inhibit you some, but if you can find your way to a pointing breed hunt test or a walking field trial, that might be a good start to seeing what these dogs are about. Also, things like the JH hunt tests and non retrieving field trial stakes don't involve shooting birds, but HUNTING with your dog generally implies guns and shooting, unless your sling shot skills are up to par with Katniss Everdean. ;)

Good luck!
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

RichK

Post by RichK » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:54 pm

kibafang90 wrote:
duckn66 wrote:First thing you should do is get enrolled in a hunter education class so that you will be able to obtain a hunting license and learn about gun safety. Complete that and you will be well on your way.
Thanks!!
Do i have to hunt with guns?
No, but I would recommend it. You could hunt with a falcon or a slingshot but a gun is the traditional method. If you're from MA and have never used a firearm sign up for a NRA intro to firearms type course, you will learn a lot.

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:49 pm

KwikIrish wrote:The search feature here and google are your best friend.
Neil hit the nail on the head regarding your dogs age though. Sure, senior might have fun with a bird or two but you're not looking at anything advanced with a dog who has that much life experience. Looks like the dog has had a darn fulfilling life already with all those hobbies.

Not having a car will inhibit you some, but if you can find your way to a pointing breed hunt test or a walking field trial, that might be a good start to seeing what these dogs are about. Also, things like the JH hunt tests and non retrieving field trial stakes don't involve shooting birds, but HUNTING with your dog generally implies guns and shooting, unless your sling shot skills are up to par with Katniss Everdean. ;)

Good luck!
Wait! What about hunting with a friend?! I could ask my mother's coworker to bring me and the dog.
What would my dog need to know to hunt bird?
Basics the dogs need to know?

I wouldn't need to even touch a gun, and my dog could have a blast.

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:03 pm

If you would really like to learn like mentioned hunters education would give you a foundation to start with. Even if you did not hunt your dog if you went to a navhda training day you would be able to see various bird hunting dogs. If you just google search navhda and your state it should tell you where the local groups are.

RichK

Post by RichK » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:14 pm

onuhunter02 wrote:If you would really like to learn like mentioned hunters education would give you a foundation to start with. Even if you did not hunt your dog if you went to a navhda training day you would be able to see various bird hunting dogs. If you just google search navhda and your state it should tell you where the local groups are.
This is probably the best choice, join NAVHDA. This way you can let you dog do some work without actually having to hunt.

Guns aren't dangerous, don't fall into the belief that they are. Check out a NAVHDA event, buy a gun, and take your dog hunting next season.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Not to say an old dog can't learn new tricks and be a debbie downer but 13 years old is pretty old to instill hunting drive into a dog... You say the dog could have a blast... do you know what the dog is supposed to do, or what a dog "hunting" is?
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Jaggerbush

Post by Jaggerbush » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:18 pm

Take your dog in the woods and let it run off a leash. It will naturally hunt for something. Be careful not to over do it only go for a hour or two. Your dog might get tired. You really don't need a gun unless you are going to eat what you find. Also look into pheasant preserves. You can buy birds and go hunt them there.

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:34 pm

Jaggerbush wrote:Take your dog in the woods and let it run off a leash. It will naturally hunt for something. Be careful not to over do it only go for a hour or two. Your dog might get tired. You really don't need a gun unless you are going to eat what you find. Also look into pheasant preserves. You can buy birds and go hunt them there.
Ill bring a camera and upload what we come across!
And ill look into those groups!

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks for the help everybody! Ill look up those clubs and the info! And record and keep you guys updated!
Thanks again!