First duck hunt of 2013

yamadirt426

First duck hunt of 2013

Post by yamadirt426 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:23 pm

I wont bore you with the details except that Mater made 6 good retrieves for us. One bird was hiding under the grass in the marsh. Its very tricky, even for dogs out here. I also walked over to a fellow hunter who could not find his downed bird to offer my dog services. It took about 5mins to find his bird as it was just winged and hiding deep in the grass. He was very happy. Its awesome to see the tail a wagging away on scent and then go stiff as a board when he locates his quarry. Cheers all and good luck this season.

millerms06

Re: First duck hunt of 2013

Post by millerms06 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:31 am

Glad to hear you were kind enough to help find a downed bird for another hunter. My young GSP has had a couple hunting weekends already doing water retrieves and finding a cripple here and there. The lab owners give me weird looks, and sometimes say "pheasant season isn't open yet." But they do not say much after she charges into the water after the downed birds and brings them back kindly. I have had more fun this year hunting than I ever had, a lot of it is because of the dog. Sounds like your season is going to be just as fun.