AZ Quail Opener

azquailhntr

AZ Quail Opener

Post by azquailhntr » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:37 pm

Well...it finally happened. Opening day arrived and has now passed. All of the anticipation proceeding this glorious Fall day has faded. Ah, who am I kidding, I get to go again in the morning and I can't wait. I get to take one of my favorite hunting partners tomorrow but, that will have to be another tale.

I must admit, I found myself being a less than stellar trainer this off season. When the final shot rang out from last year I was tired. Lexi and I took a good 3 months off from birds. She had progressed throughout the her first full year in the desert and had started to stick the occasional Gambles and I was tickled to death.

As June began to turn to July I decided I had better start to do a little work with her again. I figured we might as well have some fun so I signed up for the next NSTRA event and off we went. We had a great time and she had a respectable showing considering she wasn't even 2 at the time and neither of us had any idea what we were doing.

I'm lucky enough to live a bit on the outskirts of the greater Phoenix area with a number of open areas to be able to train on. With only 2 weeks remaining until the Quail season opened Lexi and I began running these areas hard. Development has started to encroach on some of the favorites we like to train in but, the local 'training' population of Gambles Quail has remained very strong this year.

Lexi is still learning to keep her distance but, she is young and it is pretty tough for her to do sometimes. That and these little buggers like to RUN! And they will run right under her! They use the little washes as escape routes. A full covey of nearly 20 birds ran right up the little wash in front of her not 10 feet away! She did great...that time. You can see one in the left hand portion of this picture looking back at her.

As young dogs do she could only take it for so long and had to try to chase. All in all she did a great job. The light colored bushes in front of her held about 10 birds. They shot out of the cover like a Roman Candle...one at a time about 3 seconds apart. It was the craziest thing I have seen them do.

Well, the time had finally arrived. October 4th, opening day Friday. I don't work until mid morning so I was out the door before dawn to one of the closer spots that has held a bird or two in the past. Last year there wasn't much here but, the year before there were quite a few. Since we only had about an hour to hunt we decided to stay in the flats. Some of the desert waking up...

I love the tall Saguaro Cacti with the Superstition Mountains in the back ground.

Now running a dog in the desert is a bit of a tricky thing until they learn what they can and what they can't step on. It took both Lexi and I a few minutes to remember to watch where we step but, once we remembered we started to hunt. It didn't take long until we found our first little covey of about 10 birds. Lexi rounded a tree and they flushed. We watched them fly a little ways and off we went to try to track down a single or two. There was virtually no wind at the time and we couldn't pin anything down. So on we walked. It didn't take long and I saw this.

Oh Man! This was the sight I had been wanting to see this morning! I was in a bit of a hurry so the camera went back in its pouch and I made my way over to Lexi's point. I was about 10 feet behind her still when the whole desert floor started moving. They were running everywhere and Lexi was rock solid! I took two more steps forward and it happened...two Quail had had enough and took off angling to my right a bit. I pulled up and fired hitting the left bird but, not hard. I stayed on it and finished it of before it could hit the ground running and give us the slip. Lexi was on it and made the retrieve.

We were about 15 minutes from the truck and had about 10 minutes left that I could hunt. We made a beeline back with no finds but, it had already been a great day in the AZ desert.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: AZ Quail Opener

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:31 am

Wow! Spencer Lexi is looking sharp keep repeating this scenario & you will have yourself a real bird dog.Hunting & shooting birds for her will solve the few small problems you were having!!
Keep posting the pics & stories,beautiful we all like seeing & hearing about them.Lexis's uncle Storm has been tearing the field trials up this fall just needs his retrieving points to finish his FC.
Have a good hunting season. :D

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:45 am

Great read , thanks for posting.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:03 pm

Very nice story Spencer, Now quit wasting time sitting on the computer writing this sappy story and get back out there pointing them thar birds :D

azquailhntr

Post by azquailhntr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:37 pm

Thanks Ted! She is coming around. Give her another year and we will be good to go.

Sky...sappy? I guess I need to share the link to your love story with your dog? LOL! Get out my wag Friday and let's go shoot some.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:09 pm

Love the picture of the Quail making the mad dash..I wish I could have had a camera ready when my dog was on point on a covy of scalies running right in front of him ...Good to have a dog that will hold that :wink:
I swear Gambles and Scalies are constantly auditioning for reebok Nike and addidas commercials
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:24 pm

Well, what's the latest on the Ariz Quail? How's the Mearn's population? I'm trying to finagle a trip a week or so after Thanksgiving.
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

azquailhntr

Post by azquailhntr » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:22 am

Hey Rod,

Quail numbers are better this year in areas that I hunt but, down overall in the state. The word on Mearns is cautious optimism. We had pretty good Monsoon rains and that has helped but, they have been hit pretty hard by drought that it is still considered a down year. There are definitely birds to be found if you are willing to work. Let me know if you make it down and we can try to get a hunt in.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:34 pm

What kind of --Cast Iron Boots--- do you put on your dogs for desert work? I remember the frist time in the desert,,,less than 100 yards out my dog was doing the twooo steeepppp
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

Life Member NRA

azquailhntr

Post by azquailhntr » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:55 pm

Hey Rod...no great option for boots...lewis dog boots seem to work best. I don't run Lexi with boots much anymore though. She is pretty good at avoiding it now but she does run on 2 to 3 legs some of the time. I pick it out every time she comes in for a drink. Mostly I try to find areas with less cactus ;)

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:57 pm

How's Lexi coming along Srencer? post up more pics when you get some I,we,like seeing them!
Hope you have a good season & Happy Holidays!!

Here is a pic of Lexi's mama! & littermate to my avatar dog Storm. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

azquailhntr

Post by azquailhntr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:14 am

Hey Ted...Lexi is starting to catch on pretty well. Still lots to learn but, the general idea has sunk in. Here are a few more pics from this season. Hope you enjoy! Make it down some time and we can chase these little suckers around the desert. :lol:

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:48 am

Rod W wrote:What kind of --Cast Iron Boots--- do you put on your dogs for desert work? I remember the frist time in the desert,,,less than 100 yards out my dog was doing the twooo steeepppp
The more you hunt your dogs in the desert the quicker they learn where to step. A lot of desert dogs learn to pull their own thorns out unless they are Jumping Choilla. They need help with those.

Mark Newman

Post by Mark Newman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:17 am

I totally enjoyed reading through your entire post here. I hunt pheasant in Wisconsin and plan on retiring in a couple years and spending winters in Arizona. I heard their was hunting down there but this is the first I have seen anything on the subject. Thanks for sharing. Also your GSP markings are almost exactly like my GSP. I would show you a picture but apparently am too old to figure out how to post a photo on this yet. :oops: Chip is 3 years old and I look forward to bringing him out there one day. Thanks again

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:37 pm

[quote="azquailhntr"]Hey Ted...Lexi is starting to catch on pretty well. Still lots to learn but, the general idea has sunk in. Here are a few more pics from this season. Hope you enjoy! Make it down some time and we can chase these little suckers around the desert. :lol:

Soooo-- When was the rattler seen? I don't know much about them and don't want to find out! Prior to the first Ariz quail hunt I called my uncle in Aho and asked him what about your snakes? He stated that after about the first of Dec I didn't have to worry, they hole up.

Life Member NRA

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:28 pm

That is a very false statement on snakes here....I have personally seen snakes come out in the afternoon when that morning was 7 degrees there in sonoita in the beginning of Jan a couple years ago same place one of the trialers Hank Hartnek had a rattler curled up under their trailer step.

Not that there are snakes every step you take ...They can be out there if it warms up enough during the day :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Yes, I Thank You for the clarification, I do understand that when it gets warm/hot in the afternoons the snakes do come out

Life Member NRA

azquailhntr

Post by azquailhntr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:21 pm

Rod,

That one was about a 2 weeks ago. It was cold that morning and I think it had eaten right there the night before. It wasn't making a sound. That is the first one I have come across this year. We found 2 all of last year. They are out there but, I haven't had to worry much...so far. I pretty much only hunt early mornings with my work schedule so I seem to be avoiding them.

KsHusker

Post by KsHusker » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:19 pm

Rod W wrote:
azquailhntr wrote:Hey Ted...Lexi is starting to catch on pretty well. Still lots to learn but, the general idea has sunk in. Here are a few more pics from this season. Hope you enjoy! Make it down some time and we can chase these little suckers around the desert. :lol:

Soooo-- When was the rattler seen? I don't know much about them and don't want to find out! Prior to the first Ariz quail hunt I called my uncle in Aho and asked him what about your snakes? He stated that after about the first of Dec I didn't have to worry, they hole up.

Id always pay attention to the high temps for the day. I had that same thought process until my dog got bit here in Kansas around the first of December 3-4 years ago.

The night before it got down to 14 degrees for the low. We were out in the middle of the afternoon around an old prairie dog town and the high for the day was only in the 50's, but the grass was quite tall (the prairie dogs had long been poisoned). Anyways, the wind was howling around 10-20 + that day if i recall from the north. Didnt feel the most pleasant. My guess was the old snake, had been sunning itself outside the hole, but was well insulated from the wind due to the grass. Needless to say I wont go near that pasture again until Im for certain its cold enough for the day. "bleep" thing was big enough it bit her on top of the head in the middle of the top of her skull. Wish I would have went over to see why she jumped back so I could have killed it. I had a hunch thats what happened but my mind kept telling me it wasnt a snake since it had been so cold. None of us figured it out till we messed with the wound and pushed the poison into her blood stream and then 20 mins later her head swelled up like a watermelon.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:45 am

I hate cholla cactus and snakes. But I love late season around Sonoita and over the ridge.