Grange

Re: Woodcock!

Post by Grange » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Tico pointing a grouse.

Finally my lab.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:31 pm

Just got back from the Ackerman Wildlife Area west of Antigo, Wi, still 8-18 inches of snow on the ground, altho around every spruce it was bare ground. This is where the Woodcock were found, Ally had some nice points but it was very windy and the Woodcock were very jumpy. I will go back again next week and hopefully the snow will be gone and I won't be breaking thru every other step!
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:04 pm

I went out twice this weekend. My setter, Tico was noticeably tired today, which means she needs work on her stamina. We still had some long points and her range was good, but her tail set was low and her speed was down a little, which is a sign of being tired.Yesterday we had 9 birds, 8 woodcock and one grouse and this morning I only had three woodcock and no grouse. My father had a couple woodcock with two of his brittanies.

The best from this morning.

Pointing a woodcock. The wood ticks were out in force today.

CH JD's Hawks Phoenix, backing my setter on a woodcock.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:05 pm

We hunted, starter pistol, the Ackley WMA, near Antigo, again today. Snow is all but gone. We put up about 14-15 Woodcock. Ally, my GWP, pointed 7-8, 1 grouse. A friends Small Munsterlander, pointed 2-3 more. This dog is an 11 month old pup, his first time hunting in the woods, N & S Dakota, but no woods. These are beautiful, somewhat rare dogs, which he ships all over the US. I have had my GWP out here in Phelps but the snow has been way to deep. I stay on the frozen snomobile trail and she did point a Woodcock and a few grouse the other day.Just nice to finally get out with the dog and see her work. The snomobile trail that I was on runs down and old forest service rd. I went to the other end of the rd the next day and found 2 deer carcasses, probably starved. It has been a terribly tough winter on them but it is also done! The highlight of this walk was seeing a White Pine with a 40 inch diameter. We don't have many White Pine left in this area, and this was a big one.
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:02 am

Gonna try my hand at woodcock hunting in east Texas with my pointer and brittany - may be an exercise in futility since I have only seen a few in my life but what the heck what else do I have to do on New Years Days

PS

We found 1 woodcock pointed by my brittany and I hit the bird I just couldn't find it in the brush - two non productives on splatter.
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp