Woodcock!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Woodcock!

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:52 am

Our season closed monday. :cry: :( I'll have to live through your posts and pics now.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:08 pm

Today was The Day. Yes, the day when I would take my pup, Josie, for her first woodcock hunt of this season. She got to tag along last year but never hunted by herself. In the Spring, she got to hunt on her own and flushed many woodcock. Actually, it was over 50 flushes during an 8 day period. Due to playing dog games and guiding some trips, I had not had a chance to take her. I went to my "honey hole". For her first hunt, I wanted her to get plenty of contacts and do it quickly. This spot could produce a limit of birds in 15 minutes. Well, the birds were not there and we hunted for over an hour to no avail. So we moved to another place. This one proved productive. After a short walk, she flushed her first woodcock for the gun. I was fortunate to to poke a shot and get the bird. She stayed steady through the action and went for the retrieve when I called her name. In short order, she was back with the bird and a nice delivery to hand. A short distance away, she produced her second bird which I missed. About a half hour later, we found a third bird and I was able to bag it. 2 for 3 shooting on woodcock over an 18 mth old pup that held onto its training and did things the right way. I could not be any happier! I think I have just brought another nice pup into "hunting dog" status. What a journey!

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:17 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Our season closed monday. :cry: :( I'll have to live through your posts and pics now.
It's got to be tough for those in WI that like woodcock. Season is closed, but they are still around. My seter pointed three more today. At least I was able to bag a grouse.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:38 am

Grange wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:Our season closed monday. :cry: :( I'll have to live through your posts and pics now.
It's got to be tough for those in WI that like woodcock. Season is closed, but they are still around. My seter pointed three more today. At least I was able to bag a grouse.
I love to hunt woodcock, far better than grouse. For me, once they're gone, the woodlands are an emptier place.

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:51 am

Had a nice hunt yesterday. Took a friend on a hunt. We were moving birds quickly. Didn't take long and he was holding 2 birds with 2 shots. But he got greedy and tried to go 3 for 3 and missed twice. Then missed on the next flush. But finally connected on the second shot on the following flush and finished his limit with 7 shots. I had one bird at the time and had missed several times. Some days are like that. So, I told him he would just have to follow me and watch me run out of shells. LOL Didn't take long and I made a couple nice shots and finished my limit with my last shell. Maybe I need to just take more shells! 80 min from the truck and we are holding a couple limits of birds. Can't beat it. We moved 10 birds and had 16 flushes. From what I was seeing, I am sure we could have moved more birds due to not hitting all the possible productive cover. My last bird was a "hanger" meaning, it could get to the ground when I shot it. Lee worked the area but couldn't come up with the bird. Finally as he was working, I see him stop and look up. I crawl on my knees into the cover and finally find it about 6 ft off the ground. I take a couple of pic's before getting the bird and easing out of the brush. What a nice day. Oh, and we really don't have woodcock in Missouri. Just Saying ....

Lee with the guest's limit and the old '97 Winchester. I don't know the age of this gun but they made as late as the 1950's. I like it when folks bring old guns to a hunt and shoot them well.

Here is the Last and Last pic. (Last shell and Last Bird)

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Nice pics AND hunt! I'm quite jealous, we were covered with 2 inches of wet sloppy snow last night, I got to believe it is here to stay, we had to go out this morn anyway, one grouse put up, no woodcock, they have moved on!! The lakes are freezing, I think winter is close by, time to take the bird dog south!!
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:17 pm

Wow! Hunted Josie again this morning. She did nicely and helped by producing woodcock for the gun.

Did a couple real nice 'hunt deads' out about 30 yds in the cover. Took a line to the area and then came up with the bird. Made me smile

First limit of woodcock shot over this dog. AND we went into the thicket following two groups of known woodcock hunters that have dogs that find birds. Put up 3 birds in the first 5 minutes. I was smiling!

Same birds, different pose:

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:52 am

Had a blast yesterday. Took a couple of guys woodcock hunting. We hunted for 2 hours and were able to bag 3 limits of woodcock. These guys could shoot well and we should have been finished sooner but for a few misses. They had a GSP that worked nicely and I was hunting with Lee Roy. What a fun time.

Today they got a mixed bag!

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:46 am

5 more weeks till the season opens down here!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:02 am

We are sending plenty of birds your way. Educated as well! I am sure you will have fun with them as well.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:32 am

Been chasing them here in MD (Southern MD) for about a week now. Pups first season hunting Timberdoodles and he has some learning to do as I have to stay on him to keep it close. Not finding any birds to speak of but he did bump one yesterday running right over top of it...the good news is he knew he botched it as he got to working the area really hard after the fact with his tail going a buzzilion m.p.h. He then seemed to not have such a draw to the upland fields and started working the cover pretty thoroughly.

Little contact sure does not help the situation :?

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:08 pm

Another great hunt! Loving this little brown dog!

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:06 pm

Beautiful little brown dog! Do you hunt public land?
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

Life Member NRA

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Is there much Woodcock hunting in TX?

What type of areas would they be found in?

With Quail numbers down, looking for next best thing for the dogs.
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:51 pm

Rod W,

I only hunt Public Land.

East Texas is good for woodcock hunting.

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:16 pm

Do they mainly stay in river bottom areas?

Would creek areas with heavy or thin woods be better?

Do they hang around flood plain of areas lakes? Even though most lakes around N. TX are 3-6' below average levels.
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

akardos

Post by akardos » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Hello
Here in GR, woodcocks have start to seem in our mountains.
Last week i had 3 flushes and took 1 bird.
Tomorrow I hope to be better...because enough birds arrived here, from central Europe.
Today, me and my hunting friend, took 8 woodpigeons.
Enjoy life, is too sort...free time is civilzation

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:17 pm

Another nice hunt today.

Firelight

Post by Firelight » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:35 pm

We were quail hunting yesterday and wow, was I ever surprised to discover that the dogs didn't have a covey on this point next to the field but instead two woodcock went up! We are hoping to find more tomorrow, the season is open u til the 25th.

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Firelight,

How far west of the Kansas State line were you when you found the woodcock. I have found them around Parsons, and have heard reports north of topeka and west of Wichita.

Just curious. Kansas birdhunters are somewhat like Missouri birdhunters. They say they don't have many woodcock but I have a theory that you all have many more than the bird hunters realize.

Firelight

Post by Firelight » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:29 pm

Dude, we were in north central KS. I am new to KS (see my intro on the newbies page) so I didn't know to expect wc here.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:36 pm

[quote="SpringerDude"

[/quote]

Just noticed the birdie headstone...lol

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:43 am

I shot one opening weekend o pheasant and quail season. I am north of Topeka.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:15 am

When the woodcock migrate back through in early March, it is a great opportunity to put your dogs on wild birds. No, you can't shoot them then but you can really get a chance to work on obedience and watch young dogs come into their own. It is a really great resource for working dogs in late winter/early spring.

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:03 pm

Got out again on Saturday. May have been my last birds of the season.
All the training for the dog games paid off. I have really enjoyed hunting with my little brown dog.
Here are a couple of pic's taken with Josie and the birds.

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Well the woodcock season is coming to a screeching halt. The season closes tomorrow, November 28. It has been another great season with a lot of memories made. I donated a woodcock hunt to 3 different charities through the year and helped raise some money for some great organizations. I had the pleasure of hosting some guys from Louisiana that are avid woodcock hunters and they really enjoyed their time in the Ozarks. By coming to Missouri, they were able to get their dogs on birds 6 weeks before their season opens. This early start helped give them a perspective on some new pups progress. Then, I had the pleasure of taking a couple of retired quail research biologists and showing them the opportunities that woodcock provide giving their dogs some great bird work. But one of the best memories was watching my young pup, Josie, come of age. This was Josie's first season to woodcock hunt on her own. She was steady to flush and shot and handled several situations very nicely. I was able to take limits with her several times. I am really excited about her progress. This season I had 4 dogs to rotate through the hunts. This kept the wear and tear down somewhat on any particular dog. It was tough later in the season trying to decide which dog to take hunting. They all had the chance to be on the ground at least 5 times during the season. I shot my first woodcock over a dog on point this season. I had a chance to see some really nice English Pointers and a nice German Shorthair work my thickets. I even helped a guy with a Braque Francais get his young dog on a woodcock. Watched the show as the dog pointed the bird and the owner walked in, flushed the bird and then shot it with the right barrel of my side x side. I had some great shooting days and some where I shot the third bird with my last shell.

The "blues" will start setting in as the last day comes to a close tomorrow evening. I look forward to the return of the little russet bird each fall. That little bird has provided me with such anticipation and enjoyment over the past 23 seasons. A very nice and challenging game bird. It will be a long cold 60 days ahead as I await its return in late Winter. However, when I start seeing them again, Spring will be in the air and Winter will be loosing its cold grip on the Ozarks. Turkeys will be gobbling and the white bass will be spawning and the lawn will be begging for my attention. Of course these distractions will only help bid the time until October comes around again. We wait so long for such a short period of time. Maybe that is why we have such fond memories of the hunting season.

Thank you for allowing me to share this season with you all. Many things to be Thankful for and definitely feeling Blessed to have experienced another woodcock season.

akardos

Post by akardos » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:40 pm

Hello..
Here in GR, from the first days of November, we had at many times, enough till too many woodcoks..
Now in December, fewer birds, in north territories and more in Southern...but most of woodcockhunters are happy...
Till now is a relative good woodcock season...
personally, i took till present days only 13 birds, because i had some orthopedic problems , and mostly hunt at these days hares, woodpigeons and waterfowls.

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Where is GR?

Sounds like you have had a good season. Rabbit hunting is fun!

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:22 am

Opens in 6 days!!!!!!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:05 am

northern cajun wrote:Opens in 6 days!!!!!!
LOL.....We're gonna smoke 'em....they are everywhere!

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:09 am

hi-tailyn wrote:Do they mainly stay in river bottom areas?

Do they hang around flood plain of areas lakes? Even though most lakes around N. TX are 3-6' below average levels.

You can't go wrong in the river bottoms. I don't know how much of the migration passes your way but you aren't very far west of us. My guess is that you can get into them. Along creek edges should be good too. The ground has got to be soft or loamy where they can probe for worms.....

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:24 am

mrcreole wrote:

You can't go wrong in the river bottoms. I don't know how much of the migration passes your way but you aren't very far west of us. My guess is that you can get into them. Along creek edges should be good too. The ground has got to be soft or loamy where they can probe for worms.....

That's a great place to start looking for woodcock but we don't always find them in the creek bottoms. Woodcock feed primarily at night. So they don't have to be in "feeding areas" during the day. The pictures I have posted were taken in areas where I killed the last bird of the pic. Most are well away from water and in the nastiest thickest cover available. However, where you hunt woodcock at the end of their migration both North and South are different from where you find them in the middle while migrating. Once you figure out where to find them in your local areas, then you will start recognizing other good cover that might hold birds.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:30 pm

mrcreole wrote:
northern cajun wrote:Opens in 6 days!!!!!!
LOL.....We're gonna smoke 'em....they are everywhere!

Can you get off next wednesday for the opener?
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:34 pm

SpringerDude wrote:
mrcreole wrote:

That's a great place to start looking for woodcock but we don't always find them in the creek bottoms. Woodcock feed primarily at night. So they don't have to be in "feeding areas" during the day. The pictures I have posted were taken in areas where I killed the last bird of the pic. Most are well away from water and in the nastiest thickest cover available. However, where you hunt woodcock at the end of their migration both North and South are different from where you find them in the middle while migrating. Once you figure out where to find them in your local areas, then you will start recognizing other good cover that might hold birds.

I think I have that figured out Springer I hunt them from New York down to the Gulf of Mexico.

My problem is picking out the best spot since they are all FULL of birds :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I guess out my backdoor about 150 yards will be the first covert I hit this year.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:43 pm

Northern Cajun. I've got a clinic scheduled Wednesday. The earliest I can head your way will be Saturday....I guess I could play hookie Thursday!

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Northern Cajun isn't joking about smoking them in his backyard either! He owns a little piece of sportsman's paradise for sure!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:03 pm

[quote="northern cajun")

I think I have that figured out Springer I hunt them from New York down to the Gulf of Mexico.

My problem is picking out the best spot since they are all FULL of birds :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I guess out my backdoor about 150 yards will be the first covert I hit this year.[/quote]
:D :D

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:10 am

I know nothing of the south, but up here they will be in dense maple stands of 1"-2" saplings. Same with oak stands. All the better if they have small evergreen mixed in.

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:15 am

northern cajun wrote:
SpringerDude wrote:

My problem is picking out the best spot since they are all FULL of birds :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I guess out my backdoor about 150 yards will be the first covert I hit this year.
Then obviously my helpful suggestion was not needed by you. Glad you have them that close and know all the great places. So, what states do you hunt them between New York and Louisiana?

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:47 pm

Right there!!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Got into them in my little honey hole this morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:58 pm

Checked my journals, I have hunted wc in SD, KS, MO TX, LA, MS, TN, WI, MI, ME, MN, WV, PA, SC, FL, and AL. Plus two trips to Canada. Other than flight birds resting or those seeking a sunny south hillside, all the birds were found in spongy areas near a river/creek, the same place you would dig for earthworms, it is where they eat.

I moved more birds one week in LA, than a season in all other areas.

Now most times I was primarily hunting other birds; grouse, pheasant, quail, and took a detour for the wc, but still have had the experience of thousand of flushes. They cannot eat on a rocky hillside.

Think about it they have a 3" bill and eat earthworms. If you find one away from water, there are another 6 having a meal lower down.

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:54 am

Neil wrote:Checked my journals, I have hunted wc in SD, KS, MO TX, LA, MS, TN, WI, MI, ME, MN, WV, PA, SC, FL, and AL. Plus two trips to Canada. Other than flight birds resting or those seeking a sunny south hillside, all the birds were found in spongy areas near a river/creek, the same place you would dig for earthworms, it is where they eat.

I moved more birds one week in LA, than a season in all other areas.

Now most times I was primarily hunting other birds; grouse, pheasant, quail, and took a detour for the wc, but still have had the experience of thousand of flushes. They cannot eat on a rocky hillside.

Think about it they have a 3" bill and eat earthworms. If you find one away from water, there are another 6 having a meal lower down.

Soft Spongy areas will hold woodcock from time to time. If you are not supposed to be finding them on rocky hillsides, then I guess I have just been lucky the past 16 yrs finding them on rocky hillsides. And I don't just find a few. Since woodcock are nocturnal, they are not as interested in eating as they are in staying away from predators. However, we have shot them on the rocky hillsides with worms hanging out of their mouths. I have walked the more traditional looking areas in the creek bottoms and not find birds. Then move to the thickets on the hillsides and find 20. Maybe the birds are just mixed up and don't know where they are supposed to be by the time they get to SW Missouri.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:44 am

Yes, woodcock will be found in the oddest of places...at times, in numbers.
Wherever there is food and the soil conditions that are woodcock-acceptable to access the food.....this last being the key.
Rocks themselves do not always indicate much beyond...rocks.
But actually, I believe that cover dictates a migrating woodcock's landing choice as much as stopping for a meal....migrating being the operative word, fat stores the operative idea.
Something calls to them as they migrate some 50' overhead and that would be cover and safety ...not a worm noise below.
I suspect that sometimes they land and think..."Darn, no chow here...I should not have listened to Myron" and off they soon fly after a bit o' rest.

I like to find cattle grazing that feed the earthworms that feed the woodcock that feed me.
Others may have different keys.
Also, in Ohio, hillsides can be swell with or without a seep or three.
Best to never generalize.

akardos

Post by akardos » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:32 am

Good morning..
I wish you, happy new year..
Here in GR, the good woodcock hunting, is going on not as good as November-early December, but good..
Now birds, are wicked - walk very much and suspicious because of the hunting pressure, and shooting from hunters with good and experienced bird dogs..

akardos

Post by akardos » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi woodcock hunters.
Here in GR (my country), the w.cock hunting is on.
This season, south and central territories has more bird, than northern...but the most <original> w.cock hunters, are pleased.
In northern, we are waiting for the migrating back, about in mid February...We'll see the results.
These bird, always surprise us, are mysterious, discomfort us and test our's dogs abilities and IQ.
For that, i love the woodies.
BUT The bigger w.cocks' adversary, is the dog's mind ( IQ ) mostly and the hunter's experience in the region which hunts.
( How many times, has hunt that region with the same weather conditions )....
woodcocks' habits are same every year in that or every concrete region....looks like a < hare > with feathers...do the same things, occupies the same corners in the wood, escapes with the same way (angle of flight ) and after the flight,is sitting in a same concrete area usually.
That's my experienced opinion.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:13 am

Hey Tim, Are you chasing Woodcock or have they already moved on? Still waiting here, spring hasn't sprung!

Life Member NRA

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:42 pm

I went out on Sunday with my father and we came up empty. I was on day early because my dad found two on Monday. I went out tonight for an hour, which was the first chance I could and found a bunch of them and a couple grouse for added enjoyment. My setter's manners weren't perfect, but not bad considering the only birds she's been on is three months are game farm pheasant.

Here are a bunch of pictures and associated video to go with the pictures.

First woodcock of the season.

The video.
Woodcock video.
Last edited by Grange on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:44 pm

Summit backing Tico's point on a woodcock.
The point.
The video

Tico pointing a woodcock.
The video.

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:44 pm

Tico pointing a grouse.
The video.

Tico pointing a woodcock. I tried to zoom in on the woodcock, but it didn't really work well.