Dogs first pheasant- pictures

ruffbritt4

Dogs first pheasant- pictures

Post by ruffbritt4 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Saturday the 12th was opening day for junior pheasant here. We went out Saturday and Monday due to no school Monday. There were a few groups of my dads friends with their kids. They had a blast! Together we had 2 weimaraners, 1 pudel pointer, an english setter, and my Brittany. We split into groups and my dad and I went with our Brittany. We moved a few birds but i was waiting for a nice point to shoot. After an hour and a half we all met back at the truck. We then decided to run my Brittany with my dads friends pudel pointer. Everybody else left, and we went to the field again. My dog found a hen, and I didn't shoot. The birds were really running so I wanted to wait for at least a little point until the dogs started to relocate and the bird flew. We went into a thick cover with young trees and the dogs got birdy. A little point, then a relocate, and a hen flew, I shot it and hit it. The dogs set her up for my gun. We were looking for it and sent the dogs to go hunt while we looked for it. Another hen then flew and the dogs set it up perfectly for my shooting. I shot that bird too. Not too bad shooting, 2 shots and 2 birds. These pheasants are stocked so you are allowed to shoot hens.On the walk back to the trucks, my boy found a rooster and hen, and slammed onto a solid point until my dad flushed the birds. We went there on Monday and ended up moving about 20 birds each day. Great time to watch the dog! He got plenty of bird experience. He also did great with the other dog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cstokes/southeast,ks

Re: Dogs first pheasant- pictures

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:48 pm

I applaud you on only taking shots when good dog work was applied. More often than not people loose there patience and cant stand to watch birds fly. It will pay off for you in the end! X1 on getting the kids out also,,, that's what its all about.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:33 am

Outstanding! And great job with your patience on the dog! If I read your post correctly, you are young enough to hunt the junior hunt which tells me you are WAY ahead of most adults I know! Most don't have the self control to not shoot at a flushing bird the dog hasn't set up on... Keep posting & enjoy yourself! I hope you have many more years of birds over your dogs!... 8) 8) 8)
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:09 am

Thanks guys! I am very excited for tomorrow which is the grouse and woodcock opener. We are going to try to get some woodcock. I will let you know how we do!