Quail looking good in SW Missouri.

Stoneface

Quail looking good in SW Missouri.

Post by Stoneface » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:40 pm

Been out spying Woodcock coverts and contacting quail virtually every outing with the exception of two. Last night Moxy nailed two covies within two hundred yards of the pickup and we were done in forty five minutes. Pretty exciting since I've not seen hardly any birds at all in the six years I've lived here.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

birdhunter68

Re: Quail looking good in SW Missouri.

Post by birdhunter68 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:05 pm

Nice report and glad your moving birds!
I hunt just west of you in SE Kansas....
Good luck this season and please post some pics....

bpope

Post by bpope » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:21 am

Stoneface, thanks for the update. Where were you at in SW Missouri? I live in Springfield, MO.

mlittle

Post by mlittle » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Any GPS coordinates on that covey? :D

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:01 am

The covies I found are at Shawnee Trails. I have trekked all over that place and only have two places with any bird finds whatsoever. If anyone wants directions, let me know. I'm only willing to tell a few people for sake of the covies.

Pope, I'm south of Joplin in Seneca. Been hitting the same two spots at Shawnee Trails. It is my go-to. One section of the area is just naped with crops before the opener and that is where I have gone for summer training the last several years. The other spot (where I have two covies pegged) is a new area that I was turned on to by the area manager. I only spend about two hours in the field at once because don't usually find anything, but this year that time is passing a lot faster.

Have you been out to Talbot or Bois D'Arc yet? Anything to report? I have one area, behind the HQ office, at Talbot where we ran a trial last year that looks promising. I had one tree line I ALWAYS found birds on at Talbot, but showed up for the opener about two or three years ago and they had removed the entire tree line. I couldn't believe it. I only have one covey at Bois D'Arc, but I hear it is supposed to be the best quail area in the region.

Going out in the morning for the opener and will post photos if I have any.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

bpope

Post by bpope » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:47 am

Thanks for the info! I have been out to Bois D Arc a couple of times for Dove hunting without too much luck. I was going to try out there for quail too, but this is my first time quail hunting - so I doubt I know where to look for sure or where the good spots are. :wink:

I think I may try Talbot too since it is just about a 45 minute drive for me. Hope you had some luck!

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Stoneface----------I need your phone number, I will be heading south within a day or two and I don't have a laptop so I won't have acess to a computer!
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA