Long Pheasant Tails

Double Shot Banks

Long Pheasant Tails

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Shot two birds today, one of them gave me and Banks a run for our money. literally ran probably 300 yard, and 3 dogs (banks and 2 pointers) to get it. One of them was probably the biggest I've shot, (in pictures) and the tail was 24 inches long.
Just curious; whats the longest tail you've had on a bird?
Isaac and Banks

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Long Pheasant Tails

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:28 pm

I'll tell you Isaac, 24" is a heck of a bird. When I lived in Idaho, they had a longest pheasant tail contest each year. I never won but the winners were always 25-26". 24 is a trophy.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

LtsHnt

Post by LtsHnt » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Heck of a bird! As a sd native I have shot many roosties and 24 is rare. Last year was my best at 27. I hunted the same slough all season and he always seemed to find a way out unharmed. Had to Chang it up and finally got him. :D good story and happy hunting. So far this yr the birds have been all young and my group shot 30 opening weekend. Only one was over a year old.

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:58 pm

24" is a nice tail.
I have a pickup headliner full of 21-22s, longest was just over 23. Mostly all 1 year old birds.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:01 pm

cutty72 wrote:24" is a nice tail.
I have a pickup headliner full of 21-22s, longest was just over 23. Mostly all 1 year old birds.
I learned a trick at a Montana FWP check station from the lady biologist checking game: hold the pheasant by its lower jaw and lift it. If the beak bends/breaks it is a juvenile bird. I usually check all the roosters I shoot and they are almost always <1 year old birds. Many times big, long tailed birds make me think they are older, but they usually are not.

LtsHnt

Post by LtsHnt » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:18 pm

It has always been my understanding to look at the spurs to determine age. Not tail feathers. Never heard of the beak trick. I'll have to try it.

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:29 am

Wyobio wrote:
cutty72 wrote:24" is a nice tail.
I learned a trick at a Montana FWP check station from the lady biologist checking game: hold the pheasant by its lower jaw and lift it. If the beak bends/breaks it is a juvenile bird. I usually check all the roosters I shoot and they are almost always <1 year old birds. Many times big, long tailed birds make me think they are older, but they usually are not.
I was basing my aging off of spurs, like LtsHnt said.
Good info that I will have to try though!