Kansas opener

whatsnext

Kansas opener

Post by whatsnext » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:34 am

How are the quail numbers in north central Kansas ?

KsHusker

Re: Kansas opener

Post by KsHusker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:10 am

Horrible. I wouldnt come here expecting much. Ive been out 4 different times with my dogs trying to get onto some birds and to exercise them before the season and only one hen pheasant found and one covey of quail found 100 yards from the truck as we were driving away from a place.

Hunted yesterday for the opener - didnt find one bird. Im guessing if you try you'll find more prairie chickens than quail or pheasants this year. I know I went that route last year and I had more bird contacts with pC than I did pheasants or quail.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:27 am

If you have contacts in that area of the state I would be calling them. Specifically the ones I hunt on.

I hunted an area yesterday with a deep tradition of quail hunting. Didn't see zip. Another reported hunting an area not 75 miles away and moved 7 coveys yesterday.

It's spotty at best. Quail are going away. Talked to several area managers last week and they all said if someone could answer the question as to why our quail are disappearing they could be a rich person. Several say becasue of this and that but none have been substantiated. The area I hunted looks pretty much the same as it did 30 yrs ago yet the quail are just not there.

But I would come out anyway. Still beats being at work!

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:09 pm

I am going to the same area i went last year around belleville in republic county, last year we moved enough birds to keep busy and i agree watching the dogs run with no contacts is better than a good day atw work :D

Deets

Post by Deets » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:03 pm

I went out yesterday and my dog found two decent sized coveys on public land. This was my first time in central Kansas I didn't really know where go. Just dumb luck and good dog work I guess.

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Deets wrote:I went out yesterday and my dog found two decent sized coveys on public land. This was my first time in central Kansas I didn't really know where go. Just dumb luck and good dog work I guess.
Man I love that pointer you got I love a ticked dog , nice blockey head

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:31 pm

I hunted SE Kansas the last three days, all WIHA. Saturday we found one covey with about 20 birds and killed 2 out of it and didn't see another bird for the rest of the day. Sunday we had a covey of 15 flush and fly to the other side of a river, we got around to the other side but never found them again. We had one prairie chicken hen pointed. Monday we worked a creek bottom and had 6 birds as singles or pairs flush and shot one. Later in the day when the cold blew in we were hunting another creek that was 6-7 feet of deep water, the dogs went on point and before we got there a covey flushed from the other side of the creek from under some ceders. We got around it but never saw them again. 3 days, 3 birds.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks nhachman, My son and i are leaving the 24th after i get off of work for three days of chasing birds and if we are moving a decent number of birds we will stay and hunt thanksgiving day too.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:10 am

My friend and I hunted 5 fields and saw 4 coveys, 2 roosters, and a woodcock. There are birds out there still, you just have to work for them and be in the right place at the right time. :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine