Layout Blind?

Double Shot Banks

Layout Blind?

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:27 am

Hello,
Me and my dad are looking for layout blinds for next season. We aren't really sure what is the best, and I would like some suggestions to cheap, quality blinds. I understand any blind is better than laying in a hole in the plowing, but I would like to know if there is anything to stay away from, and anything I should look for.
Thanks,
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

duckn66

Re: Layout Blind?

Post by duckn66 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:50 am

No such thing as cheap, quality blinds. I would NOT skimp on a layout blind. These are the items that make you comfortable during your hunt and help keep you warm.

If you have all winter and summer to save up I would go with quality.

Final Approach Xlanders are nice, I have one of those, GHG are nice as well I have one of those to. I prefer the GHG over the other for ease of use.
Last edited by duckn66 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:37 am

Depending on what kind of fields you hunt, you might want to consider a 'hay bale' blind.
Holds two people plus a dog.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:02 am

No such thing as a cheap lay out blind. I use final approach blinds; they keep you dry when it rains, warm when it's cold, you boil in them when it's hot.

Don't over look a plain old Ghillie Suit. You lay flatter and are concealed in a field with practically nothing. Lay on a sleeping pad. Thing with a ghillie suit is that you have it for all of your hunting, ducks in a marsh, turkey, watefowl in fields. Couple things it wont' do is keep you dry and warm.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Okay,
You got my on the quality, so what are some good brands to look for? Is Avery good with blinds? What about Cabelas, and Rig em Right
Isaac and Banks

SD44

Post by SD44 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:35 pm

I hunted out of a Cabelas Northern Flight Ultimate last season. It is a good blind and roomy. I don't know how it does in mud or flooded fields but it did its job. I would also look at the Foiles Strait Stealth Blind or the Drake Stake-Out Blind both are excellent blinds but are not cheap.

I have to echo what everyone else has said on here, quality, quality, quality. When you are laying out in the field you want to be comfortable roomy and warm.

Good luck with your search.
Cheers,
SD

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Ill look at all the recommended blinds, also going to get one for banks so he can come along.
The bale blinds are nice but a little too spendy for me. I would also like more portability that that big hog, looks nice though.
Isaac and Banks

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:39 pm

I've never felt the need to put a dog in a blind. Money thrown away. Just make him "down" alongside of you and if you really feel the need, lay a piece of came over hum.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:56 pm

If you have a lot of waterfowl hunters in ur area try getting on craigslist after Christmas. We usually have a ton on there that are in really good shape and they are much cheaper and not all shiny. As for dog blinds I either make the dog lay down by my blind or bring a sheet of chicken wire and stake down the corners leaving it in a u shape then just brush it up.

tmas

Post by tmas » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:48 pm

I really like the Xlander blind. The cabelas northern flight is very similar too. The xlander works great for a light mobile blind, and i've used it as my decoy bag for hauling a couple dozen duck floaters and it rocks. The big nice blinds are a lot more comfortable, but you will get killed by the shadow on those taller blinds with wary birds. You can dig them down if the farmer will let you, but sometimes when you dig it just makes a big blotch of dark soil around your blind and highlights it.

HUNT 24/7

Post by HUNT 24/7 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:22 pm

I've hunted out of quite a few different blinds, Final Approach SUB, nice roomy blind but a pain to put together, the material is very tight. FA Eliminator express, I have one of these because it packs up small & has a very low profile, not a lot of room if you are a bigger guy, but it's not meant to be big. GHG Groundforce, good medium sized compact, full frame blind. It's a good working blind but being a bigger guy (6'1" 250lbs) I find it to be a pain in the arse to get in & out of, good medium sized blind for a medium sized guy. Avery Powerhunter, small, low profile blind, not a big fan of the hood, makes it hard to watch the birds. Avery Finisher, nice large, good working blind, good amount of room for a big guy. FA Pro Guide XL, if you are a XXL kind of guy, this is the blind for you! I own one & it is MASSIVE, I fit in it more than comfortably & can put half of what I own in there with me! Buddy of mine is 6'6" 360lbs & fits in it no problem. That being said, it is a big blind & you will need a truck with an 8' box or a trailer to haul it. Avery M2 or Migrator, nice big blind, works great, easily fit in it. The blind I use & like the most is my Hunter Specialties Hitman, it is a large blind, good amount of room for me & has a really thick, comfortable pad to sit on. It is the best combination of comfort & function I have tried. It is a full frame & requires lots of room to transport.
I know I am missing some, but these are what I think of these blinds

Duckdog

Post by Duckdog » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Someone above mentioned Craigslist,...I've seen some really good deals there.
I have a Cabelas Northern Flight, It's comfy and put together well, but (to me), kind of a pain to set up, especially since it's still so big when broke down and folded. I still use it the most because it is a little more roomy AND comfy than my others.

I also have a GHG Groundforce. Nice blind, folds up easier, folds up smaller, still pretty comfy, just not AS roomy.
I also have a Rogers Sporting Goods Goosebuster. Cheap(cost) blind and very low profile, but not near as comfy or roomy as the other two.

If I were going to buy a new one today, it'd probably be an Avery Finisher.