First deer recovery

dugger13

First deer recovery

Post by dugger13 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:34 am

My buddy shot a 6 point and need help finding it. Took out my dog Ruger and started him on the bloodtrail. That was his first time doing this. He is 4, but have never had the chance to do this yet. 200 yards later we found this. Took about 5 minutes.
I am amazed at what a Drahthaar can do. I will never own another type of dog.

Donnytpburge

Re: First deer recovery

Post by Donnytpburge » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Cool stuff

Glad you recovered it

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:44 pm

Great job. I have seen quite a few breeds that do a great job of trailing from hounds and most of out gun dogs. Too bad some states do no allow it but I think it is a great way to save game that wouldn't be found otherwise.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:43 am

ezzy333 wrote:Great job. I have seen quite a few breeds that do a great job of trailing from hounds and most of out gun dogs. Too bad some states do no allow it but I think it is a great way to save game that wouldn't be found otherwise.

Ezzy
I agree. I don't see anything wrong with leashed tracking for game recovery. Not sure what the law makers reason is fo not passing it.

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:59 pm

It didn't even cross my mind to check if it's legal.

On another note, does anyone know the rule in a state located between minnesota and michigan?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:23 pm

My brother arrowed an antelope one time and he tried tracking it till past dark. Early the next morning I grabbed the shotgun and my Lab and asked him if he knew a good field I should go upland hunting in. I had to cut my upland hunt short because 10 min. into the hunt my dog found a dead antelope that appeared to have been arrowed the night before and I had to track down the hunter. :D
My wife shot a good whitetail and it ran into a willow thicket that rabbits have trouble entering. The blood trail ran out quickly and a search till after dark yielded no dead deer. When she says she is confident of her shot, then it was a good shot. The next morning the landowners son came over to help her look with their mixed breed yard dog. Turns out the deer had figured that a willow thicket rabbits couldn't get into was no place for him and had turned around to fall dead about 200 yards the other direction in the aspens. Took that kid all of 5 min. to find his dog on the kill.
I don't understand why it is illegal around here either.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:31 pm

dugger13 wrote:It didn't even cross my mind to check if it's legal.

On another note, does anyone know the rule in a state located between minnesota and michigan?
http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/stat ... /?state=wi
Google is your friend.