SW Kansas

skeetermc

SW Kansas

Post by skeetermc » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Hunted SW Kansas this weekend. They aren't lying when they say the bird population is way down. The two of us manged four rooster, three Bob-Whites and one Pririe Chicken. It was worth the trip just to see a chicken no to mention harvest my first one.

KsHusker

Re: SW Kansas

Post by KsHusker » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:34 pm

Was the Prairie Chicken a Lesser?

Thats the only upland species that has eluded me in KS to date. Nothing goes right when they are in season and Im near them or I see them in January flush to my dogs point and I cant shoot. Ive got a few greaters and if cooked right they taste pretty good.

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:47 pm

KsHusker wrote:Was the Prairie Chicken a Lesser?

Thats the only upland species that has eluded me in KS to date. Nothing goes right when they are in season and Im near them or I see them in January flush to my dogs point and I cant shoot. Ive got a few greaters and if cooked right they taste pretty good.
wow! If you can eat that dark blacl purple meat you must think quail and phez are filet mignon wow!!!

KsHusker

Post by KsHusker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:36 am

tailcracken pointer wrote:
KsHusker wrote:Was the Prairie Chicken a Lesser?

wow! If you can eat that dark blacl purple meat you must think quail and phez are filet mignon wow!!!

I do a couple things. #1 is what I call wet age the meat for a week or more, I do the same for pheasants. #2 I found some old timer recipes online. After I wet age it, there isnt much blood left in the meat.

I figured if this bird used to be market hunted like crazy and sent back to restaurants in the east, if cooked right it must taste pretty good. It went over well with the family when I cooked it at Christmas time. Did include some bacon, shallots and wine but was darn tasty.