Desert Quail

codym

Desert Quail

Post by codym » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:24 am

Ive been out a few times and it looks like the late moisture benifitted the scalies, but the gambles still seem to be down. So far I've had some great dog work which is sort of unusual for these birds since they prefer to run and flush wild. Sorry for the tailgate shots, I will try and get pictures of the dog work on the next few trips. The first pic is from thanksgiving day, I went alone. The second pic is from the following day with a few good friends.

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

azquailhntr

Re: Desert Quail

Post by azquailhntr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Beauty! Love the pointer! I need to get out after the scalies here in AZ. Those and Mearns are still on the list this season.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:17 pm

Nice, I have got to take my two out after desert quail some time.
Steve

codym

Post by codym » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:22 pm

azquailhntr wrote:Beauty! Love the pointer! I need to get out after the scalies here in AZ. Those and Mearns are still on the list this season.

Thank you, she's my favorite dog. We were actually thinkin about making our way to AZ for mearns. I saw your pup on the other thread, looking good. I think if you can get a dog solid on scalies and gambles theres no birds they won't be able to handle.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:29 pm

codym wrote:
azquailhntr wrote:Beauty! Love the pointer! I need to get out after the scalies here in AZ. Those and Mearns are still on the list this season.

Thank you, she's my favorite dog. We were actually thinkin about making our way to AZ for mearns. I saw your pup on the other thread, looking good. I think if you can get a dog solid on scalies and gambles theres no birds they won't be able to handle.

I would bet that you are right about that
Steve

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Sweet Cody! Looks like a great time, flat ground would be a nice change.

See ya in a few weeks.

azquailhntr

Post by azquailhntr » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks Cody...she is starting to come around. Let me know if you make it to AZ...maybe I can free up from work to come hunt with ya!

codym

Post by codym » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:55 pm

I will. We were talking about the end of the month maybe. Not sure where maybe sierra vista or sonoita.

codym

Post by codym » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:49 pm

Started the new year with a few of these guys. Only missing Bobs for the NM slam!

Image[/URL]
Last edited by codym on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

KsHusker

Post by KsHusker » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:59 am

codym wrote:Started the new year with a few of these guys. Only missing Bobs for the NM slam!

What kind of quail are those?

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:28 am

Mearns, So you can still find some decent spots, in NM ?
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

codym

Post by codym » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:47 am

Theres still some good spots, but you gotta know where to look and people are pretty protective of their spots. The limit on mearns is only five and you really have to work hard to find them here. Lots of steep ridges and remote canyons.

KsHusker

Post by KsHusker » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:56 pm

Rod W wrote:Mearns, So you can still find some decent spots, in NM ?

Was thinking thats what they were as Ive only shot scalies and bobs here in KS. Have seen Gambrels in AZ when visiting but have never laid eyes on Mearns before.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:18 pm

KsHusker wrote:
Was thinking thats what they were as Ive only shot scalies and bobs here in KS. Have seen Gambrels in AZ when visiting but have never laid eyes on Mearns before.

I guess the Mearns hunting in Mexico is great, shall we plan a hunting trip? YOUR GUNS!!!
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

Life Member NRA

KsHusker

Post by KsHusker » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:18 pm

Rod W wrote:
KsHusker wrote:

I guess the Mearns hunting in Mexico is great, shall we plan a hunting trip? YOUR GUNS!!!
Mexico is on my list of places to go!

muleskinner

Post by muleskinner » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:36 pm

codym... where are you located in NM? I live in Ruidoso...have 2 GSPs...litter of 3 pups that are 4 weeks old...I have an invite to quail hunt a private ranch north of Deming...don't know the name of the ranch but looking forward to it in the near future.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:33 pm

Nice! Was actually just talkin' the other day about gettin' the itch to get back after some mearns...been a few years since I last center punched an oak tree with a load of 7.5's or ran cylinder/cylinder in my gun!! :lol: :lol: Pretty fun little birds...and you are right, I think the terrain can be very similar to hunting chuks in places.

codym

Post by codym » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:34 am

There alot of fun Doug especially after you spent a few weeks chasing scalies and gambles, you appreciate a bird that will hold. I've never hunted az for them, but the Gila is pretty steep. I hope I can get after them a few more times this season. Let me know if you make it out here or az this year I would enjoy meeting up, especially since I didn't make to Idaho with josh this year.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:48 am

Absolutely beautiful Mearns, photos. And here I am, back in the frozen tundra of N. Wis. Next year I will stay for the entire season, hopefully!

Life Member NRA