Nevada bird Hunting?

Waterdogs1

Nevada bird Hunting?

Post by Waterdogs1 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:47 pm

I am going to be in Nevada for atleast a week on a big ranch outside of Orevada. I have never been their I was wondering if their are any bird in the area. I guess the ranch has alot of Hay and Corn. I have no clue if their are any birds or not but was wondering if anyone might know. I will throw in a dog or two and a shotgun and plan on hunting if their is.
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"

fishvik

Re: Nevada bird Hunting?

Post by fishvik » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:10 pm

The area around Orvada has some real good chukar, quail and hun hunting in the Double H's, Santa Rosas and Bloody Runs.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:20 pm

As Fishvik stated most of the ranges in the region will hold birds, you are in the heart of Chukar country there...and I would have strong suspicions the ranch you are on will be loaded with Valley Quail.

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:51 pm

Sounds like I better take the dogs. I am excited now. Now I have to look into getting a license.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:17 am

Waterdogs1 wrote:Sounds like I better take the dogs. I am excited now. Now I have to look into getting a license.

Nevada also offers 3 day licences. When I worked for the BLM in Winnemucca we seeded our burns with a seed mix that was like ice cream for huns. Look for an area that has burned within 3-5 years ago and you should have some luck.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:14 am

Birds around there?? Nah....well maybe...sometimes...once. They will let ya' stake your horses and dogs out back of the bar though. :wink:

Quailcommando

Post by Quailcommando » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:00 am

DGFavor wrote:Birds around there?? Nah....well maybe...sometimes...once. They will let ya' stake your horses and dogs out back of the bar though. :wink:
Just make sure you put on the astro before you go in so the dogs don't lose you getting home that night.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:54 pm

DGFavor wrote:They will let ya' stake your horses and dogs out back of the bar though.
Almost all of the bars/restaurants have backrooms for parties and banquets. They were usually the biggest rooms in town so when the BLM had to hold a public meeting in towns like Orovada, Gerlach or Paradise Valley, thats where we held them. Being that close to the bar made for some very interesting meetings.

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:30 pm

Nice I am excited if it looks good I might have to make a yearly expedition of it. Not sur how far the ranch is from any gas stations bars or anything but I think it is a ways. Everyone has been reporting not great numbers in our area except my friend found a bunch last weekend that were close. I just want to work my dog.