quail hunting with a springer spaniel

KCZIE

quail hunting with a springer spaniel

Post by KCZIE » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:54 pm

Has anyone out there had any experience hunting quail with a Springer? I just recently moved to North Florida and have never hunted for quail before only chucker and pheasant. I was looking at a pointer thinking this was my best option. But I love the Springer’s so much, I was wondering if anyone has any input on them being able to hunt quail as well or should I just stick with the pointer. Thank you!

rkappes

Re: quail hunting with a springer spaniel

Post by rkappes » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:31 pm

I’ve never hunted quail but I would think your springer would do fine. Take him out and give it a go.

Quailcommando

Post by Quailcommando » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:41 pm

Where you hunting in North Florida?

L.B.C

Post by L.B.C » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:59 pm

I have both a pointer and an Eng cocker that flushes. She does a great job and still find a lt of birds. Some say pointers find more birds and they may do so. But sometimes I have the advantage when in heavy brush and privot. She will get them up and out and even if you shoot one that's almost impossible to retrieve they crawl though briars to please you. Love my ECS
Last edited by L.B.C on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Firelight

Post by Firelight » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:00 pm

I have a couple of acquaintances that both hunt Florida quail with flushes, one ESS and one FBECS. They sure seem to have fun even though bird numbers aren't great. Give it a try!

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:25 pm

I spent a few years hunting quail over a flusher (lab) to be honest it was a blast shooting flushed quail over her. You will never see a covey rise like when a fired up flusher pushes them out of the giggle weeds.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

KCZIE

Post by KCZIE » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:49 pm

I haven’t found a good place to hunt out there yet, but I have been looking at a few different plantations. I've been reading that going out and finding wild quail is darn near impossible and going to one of the hunting plantations is the only way to go. I have been looking at the Llewellin Setter as well, I just want to make sure that I’m not wasting my time (or money) by going with the Springer when I’m mainly hunting quail for the time being. But you are right, they sure are a blast to hunt over!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:38 am

The birds will have to be very plentiful or you are in for a lot of walking.

A flusher stays within shooting range, 20 - 30 yards, so you will only cover that much ground at a time. There are reasons most use wide ranging pointers for quail, they will go from objective to objective, often 100's of yards from you.

Flushers work well on preserves, where the locations are more defined.

KCZIE

Post by KCZIE » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:47 am

I just wanted to thank everyone for their response! As much as it pains me to say, It looks like I may have to forgo getting the Springer; I just don’t know if it will be the best for me out here. My other two choices are the Vizsla or the Llewellin Setter, and that’s a new challenging choice!!!!

Quailcommando

Post by Quailcommando » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:54 am

Neil wrote:The birds will have to be very plentiful or you are in for a lot of walking.

A flusher stays within shooting range, 20 - 30 yards, so you will only cover that much ground at a time. There are reasons most use wide ranging pointers for quail, they will go from objective to objective, often 100's of yards from you.

Flushers work well on preserves, where the locations are more defined.
Neil hit the nail on the head. I personally use bigger running GSP' s grew up using big running EP's but they both serve the purpose very well in Florida numbers have not been great so I have found it better to use a big running forward moving dog to cover the Land. We also have walking areas, horseback areas and areas they allow vehicles it's a big benefit to have dogs that are versatile enough to do all three it opens up a lot more hunting opportunities.