Vizsla vs Llewellin Setter

KCZIE

Vizsla vs Llewellin Setter

Post by KCZIE » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:14 am

Looking for some advice out there on the better all-around bird dog, hunting and personality wise (I will be hunting primarily quail and pheasant). I have narrowed my choice down between the Vizsla and the Llewellin Setter, and really wanted some input on what is thought to be the better dog. Thank you in advance for your help!

Gertie

Re: Vizsla vs Llewellin Setter

Post by Gertie » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:22 am

That's kindof a tough question because both breeds are really fine hunting dogs. What is more important than the breed is the line that you choose. You'll want to make sure that you get a dog that fits your type of hunting based on input from the breeder. If you can see the parents work, all the better. Also, check references on the breeder from past buyers (most good breeders have a list of references). You can also post here for feedback on a breeder or particular line of dogs, it's likely someone has some experience with them. But keep in mind that dogs are individuals and you're going to get some variation even within a line.

All that said, I have a field setter from trial lines and I go chukar hunting with a friend who has a vizsla. In general his dog hunts closer (within 100 yards most of the time where mine will be out 300+ yards). Both dogs hunt hard and have a good nose. My setter seems to tolerate cold a little better but the vizsla seems to do better in the heat. My setter is really mellow (almost abnormally mellow) and his dog is just a little high strung but not to the point if being unmanageable. Both dogs have been pretty soft and required a lot of patience to train.

Like I said, in general, you can't go wrong with either breed. They're very nice dogs. Just figure out what it is you want in a dog and then do your research to find a breeder who can provide a likely good fit for you. I know you wanted a more definitive answer but I hope I at least kindof helped. At any rate, it'll be a fun process making your decision :D Best of luck to you.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:53 am

I have zero experience owning a setter but have a 9 yr old V and have spent a lot of time around the Vizslas. Have hunted over at least 10 different Vizslas. They are very people oriented and very smart. Mine does agility and obedience off season, loves to swim, has the best house manners of any dog I have, and really enjoys being with people. He hunts the way I like him to - closer than our Pointers. He loves to retrieve, we even use him to retrieve the rabbits when we hunt with the beagles. We've put a MH title on him and he did that quickly with no problems. As stated above, he doesn't care for 10 degrees or below type of weather. He will retrieve early season ducks. He's very clean and fastidious. He would NOT do well in a kennel at all - he is all family dog, all the time.

I don't own any long haired dogs, I prefer the slick-coated ones. Just do your research in order to find the best fit for you and your family - the more time you spend on the front end, before you get the dog, the better off you'll be in the long run. It would be nice to find a breeder that you can keep in contact with and that will help you through any situations. Mine has become a good friend through the years that I've owned Rooster.
RoosterDockDog.jpg
Gator_and_Rooster.jpg
Rooster Helping at Grouse Camp - Taking down the tents, smart dog kept running the duct tape to everyone that needed it during takedown. He's one helpful Vizsla.
Rooster Helping at Grouse Camp FB.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:25 pm

I have a couple of Llewellins and I have hunted with some really good Vs.

On AVERAGE, out of the gate, the setters are going to have more point in them. They will be standing their birds at a younger age. V's may have more natural retrieve.
The Vs will likely handle hot weather better than the setter, but the setters will take the cold better.
They are both good breeds.

I think setters are better looking :wink: , but their coat takes move care.

Steve

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:37 am

Kczie,
I would recommend that you locate a breeder or two of each breed (and trust us when we say the most important thing is to peruse quality breeders) and visit them and their dogs. Getting a feel for what each breed is like is probably one of the most important factors. People call the vizslas velcro for a reason. They live to be with you, unless we are hunting. Then they want to be with the birds :) setter it summed the coat and weather tolerance up well.
We have vizslas which hunt around 150 yards and we have dogs who stay out 300yards +. Finding a breeder who produces the style of dog you want is first and foremost. I would disagree with the idea that setters are your bigger running dogs. They just haven't met the right vizslas. :)
I digress...
Meet the breeds. Learn their personalities, then find the breeder that's producing the type of hunting partner you prefer.
Good luck!
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:12 am

Give Moulders Farm a call he has had Lewellins for years and can and will tell you the ups and downs of the breed. :)

Vman

Post by Vman » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:40 am

Having owned both, all the above. Nobody has given you any bad advice.IMO My only input is that I don`truly agree with the Vs can`t handle cold. They can as long as they are hunting. Colder the better actually. They can take more cold than I can. You will have less problems with ice balls between the toes with the V also. But you can remedy the hair on the Setters feet also. Don`t believe either would fare well on a chain in the winter here in Wi. Both are very affectionate. Both have a softer temperament.
The Setter is easier too see at distance in the fall or warm months. They disappear in snow and the V is more visible in the snow and less visible in the fall. The Setters coat will require combing or brushing at the end of the day the V requires nothing.
But a short stripped coat on the Setter will fix 60% of the problem along with some ShowSheen or Cowboy magic. Even tho I now own Vizslas, I always enjoy and look forward to working with a nice Setter. I love them to tell the truth. Nothing prettier than finding a stylish Setter on Point. I just got tired of the coat maintenance but I also live remotely and in the woods. If I were you I would find a reputable breeder of either near you and go with that. Kinda like buying a new truck, are you going to drive 60 miles for service on that Chevy or are you going to buy the Ford from the dealer 5 miles away? A good dog in either breed will exceed your limitations or expectations.

AlbertaChessie

Post by AlbertaChessie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:48 am

Vman wrote:Having owned both, all the above. Nobody has given you any bad advice.IMO My only input is that I don`truly agree with the Vs can`t handle cold. They can as long as they are hunting. Colder the better actually. They can take more cold than I can. You will have less problems with ice balls between the toes with the V also. But you can remedy the hair on the Setters feet also. Don`t believe either would fare well on a chain in the winter here in Wi. Both are very affectionate. Both have a softer temperament.
The Setter is easier too see at distance in the fall or warm months. They disappear in snow and the V is more visible in the snow and less visible in the fall. The Setters coat will require combing or brushing at the end of the day the V requires nothing.
But a short stripped coat on the Setter will fix 60% of the problem along with some ShowSheen or Cowboy magic. Even tho I now own Vizslas, I always enjoy and look forward to working with a nice Setter. I love them to tell the truth. Nothing prettier than finding a stylish Setter on Point. I just got tired of the coat maintenance but I also live remotely and in the woods. If I were you I would find a reputable breeder of either near you and go with that. Kinda like buying a new truck, are you going to drive 60 miles for service on that Chevy or are you going to buy the Ford from the dealer 5 miles away? A good dog in either breed will exceed your limitations or expectations.

Im currently in the market for my second dog as well. I currently own a 1 year old Chessie. Im actually debating between the V and the Setter. I think the 'cold' question and answer depends on where you live too. I just cant buy it that a Vizla would hunt harder in late October up in Alberta Canada than a Setter. We had a couple cases this year where we had a couple dogs shut right down. One instance was a Lab that was doing cold water retrieves in Late October.....Our two Chessies took care of things going forward after 2 hours of all the dogs sharing duties including the Lab. But that poor Lab had just had enough after a while. Did well for a couple hours, but after that he just quit. Another case was sharpie hunting in Late October as well. Had our GSP just quit. Had to use the old bay dogs again to finish the day flushing. Was a bit of a gong show as they aren't upland trained, but one of them had a good enough nose to get it done.

Anyways, I too am a little worried about the V's ability to handle pretty consistent snow and hunting in -15 Celsius. Good info here though!

ridgerunner

Post by ridgerunner » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:31 am

If I was serious about a llewellin then I would go to West Liberty Ky and talk to Bob Bailey at Straight Creek Kennels....they are the best!!

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:39 pm

I have hunted behind almost every breed except a vizsia . raised Brits & hunted with a frend that had GSp Then about 9 years ago got my first llewellin & have fallen in love with the breed they love to please you Not them selfs make great family dogs . Have breed & sold puppies for about 6 yrs. I do not have any puppys on the ground hoping next spring . The advice you have gotten is great talk to the breeders then go see there dogs work . some are breed to range & hunt horse back but I like a dog to hunt close but take in a lot of ground back & forth . also check the blood line in llewellins the Blizzard line seams to be just a littly more hard headed & take more presure , But the bondu line are a littly more natural in pointing & retreving but seam not to take as mush presure the wingum Roy sell & streat creeks all have good points my dogs have a littly of all those blood lines but mostly Blizzard & bondu . every puppy I have sold would point a puppy pioint at 8 weeks ^& most retreve a ball with just a little time .As all puppies the teaining should start easy with lots of love & understanding the day you bring them home & go at the puppys speed make it fun for him After all most of us buy a puppy to have buddy for several years

Vman

Post by Vman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:22 am

rick with dandy.jpg
Anyways, I too am a little worried about the V's ability to handle pretty consistent snow and hunting in -15 Celsius. Good info here though!
Took my V`s pheasant hunting on Wed. it was 3degrees F with wind out of the North at 10mph. "bleep" cold. Ran one dog the whole time with no problem whatsoever and were kenneled in my unheated Ainley truck topper both ways. I was froze, but the dog had a great time, even had too get wet too cross a stream, just kept going, didn`t swim across, but did get wet didn`t bother him one bit.
Went hunting again yesterday, with two V`s the temp was warmer at 17-19 degrees F. with a light breeze. Hunted for 6.5 hrs and both dogs hunted hard and both had too cross streams again and never once did they stop hunting. And we never had too stop and clean out ice balls.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KCZIE

Post by KCZIE » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:40 am

I think I'm getting myself into trouble by doing too much research! Because now, along with the Vizsla and Llewellin I'm also looking into the Brittany and the munsterlander. I don’t even know what to think about all of this talk I read of a pointing lab! I'm just looking for a fairly close ranging dog (I hunt on foot) and one that is also a great house dog/companion. I know most dogs can be trained to retrieve, but I’ve also read that some will just flat out refuse. I will be hunting mainly quail and would love to find a place that I can hunt pheasants as well. I'm also thinking about trying a bit of duck hunting, but upland is defiantly what I enjoy the most. Am I just asking too much now, or should I just close my eyes and pick one! haha

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:23 am

I would have though heat would have been more of an issue than cold, because you can always wear a sweater but you can get only so naked. :)

Too many good breeds out there and not enough life to have them all.

klewis

Post by klewis » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:59 pm

KCZIE wrote:I think I'm getting myself into trouble by doing too much research! Because now, along with the Vizsla and Llewellin I'm also looking into the Brittany and the munsterlander. I don’t even know what to think about all of this talk I read of a pointing lab! I'm just looking for a fairly close ranging dog (I hunt on foot) and one that is also a great house dog/companion. I know most dogs can be trained to retrieve, but I’ve also read that some will just flat out refuse. I will be hunting mainly quail and would love to find a place that I can hunt pheasants as well. I'm also thinking about trying a bit of duck hunting, but upland is defiantly what I enjoy the most. Am I just asking too much now, or should I just close my eyes and pick one! haha
get a pointer & have the best of both worlds just look at blood lines that is bred for foot hunting

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:41 pm

I've watched Vizslas in trials and in the field hunting. Darn things are fast. I may have written this before, but I remember a trial where a Vizsla was braced with a Pointer and at breakaway the Pointer was let go a few seconds sooner. Once the Vizsla was released it quickly caught the Pointer and raced by it. That Vizsla won the trial. I looked great on the ground and nice style on point. I'm a setter guy and have a field bred setter. I fell in love with the breed the first time I saw them at a trial in the grouse woods. I haven't seen another breed move as fluidly and gracefully as a setter. I'm also a fan of a high feathery tail on point. So I'll almost always recommend a setter over other breeds for upland birds, but if you get the right breeding you won't go wrong with either.

I am also very familiar with the Brittany. If I couldn't own Setters I'd own Brittanies. Great dogs in the field whether it's trialing or hunting. The ones I know well are great grouse dogs and handle pheasant well. Another breed you won't go wrong with.

KCZIE

Post by KCZIE » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:35 am

I've heard that the Setters don’t really retrieve worth a darn, but I could be wrong. Honestly at this point I think I will come down to what dog is the better as a companion in the home. I've looked for something to make one breed stand out over the other and outside of the retrieving issue I really couldn’t find any. So now I think I'm going to look at what one has the best personality, because let’s face it I will be at home just me and my dog a lot more then we will be out in the field (unfortunately)! Can anyone comment on what one will make a better buddy out of the field?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:52 am

Again,

I haven't had a setter. I do have 11 dogs and have said goodbye to 3 others of my own in the past. My Vizsla is by far, the best house dog and people companion I have ever been around or owned (with the exception of our sweet tempered aussie we had when we were kids). Mine is SUPER smart, eager to please, and a joy to have in the house. Mine was excellent with kids when my nephews were younger - and he still likes small people.

I would recommend STRONGLY - that you go out and meet some of these breeds, see them at the hunt tests or field trials, go to at least 4-5 breeders that you'll consider and visit with the dogs. The more of the dogs that you see, the more informed choice you can make.

Where do you live? I can put you in touch with some V breeders and I know others can find you some setter breeders as well.
Last edited by RoostersMom on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:39 pm

Your local NAVHDA would be a good place to start to see a number of breeds in one spot. On training day this past summer we had 8 breeds in attendance.

To muddy the waters I love my LM , friendly and loves to be with his people.

KCZIE

Post by KCZIE » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:45 am

I've owned a Vizsla before and loved him, but I had a lot more land then. Now That I’ve had to move I live in a house with a smaller sized yard. I fully intend on running at least 3-6 miles a day and of course training. But my only real concern that is holding me back from the Vizsla is I know they need a lot of room to run. Would it be unfair for the dog to have a smaller sized yard? I've also read that the setters seem to calm down more in the house and don’t quite need the same amount of exercise as the V?

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Roostersmom,
I think you really need to get a setter, it is just like a pointer, you have to try at least one:)

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:36 pm

KCZIE wrote:I've owned a Vizsla before and loved him, but I had a lot more land then. Now That I’ve had to move I live in a house with a smaller sized yard. I fully intend on running at least 3-6 miles a day and of course training. But my onls holding me back from the Vizsla is I know they need a lot of room to run. Would it be unfair for the dog to have a smaller sized yard? I've also read that the setters seem to calm down more in the house and don’t quite need the same amount of exercise as the V?
I have a pointer out of horseback trial lines and she is in a 800 square/ft yard plus a perimeter run of about 25 yds in the city. I've had her a couple years and she hangs with our lab just fine. She still runs big when in big country. The two dogs sleep in the house when we go to work. My big running breed seems to have adapted very well.

Steelcityred

Post by Steelcityred » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:44 pm

KCZIE wrote:I've owned a Vizsla before and loved him, but I had a lot more land then. Now That I’ve had to move I live in a house with a smaller sized yard. I fully intend on running at least 3-6 miles a day and of course training. But my only real concern that is holding me back from the Vizsla is I know they need a lot of room to run. Would it be unfair for the dog to have a smaller sized yard? I've also read that the setters seem to calm down more in the house and don’t quite need the same amount of exercise as the V?
Any of these breeds from a field line will need room to run. I have never seen a lazier dog in the house than my V tho. take her outside and she snaps into High enegery mode. the way i look at it is who wants. to deal with all that hair, but the again I have considered getting a Drahthaar or even a wire haired V, so don't listen to me...

Correct me if I'm wrong but the mental work is the hard put with a V. idle minds get them into trouble... at least that is the way mine is.

Oh and i own 3/4 of an acre that she has access to all day. she consistently waits until i get home to go outside.

tdbmd

Post by tdbmd » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:51 pm

I don't have experience with the setter but would agree with much of the positives written above about the vizsla. Super friendly and loving dogs.

TonyS

Post by TonyS » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:51 pm

Kczie,

If Setternut's picture of Indy (the white dog) pointing in the field doesn't do it for you I don't know what to tell you.

As far as Llewellins and shedding, there is a device out there in pet stores called a 'furminator'. Mine cost me $20 and eliminated 95% of the fur that used to lay all over the house.

I have a half humphries bondhu and half Blizzard. He learned fetch by 3 months old but now, except for when he forgets, won't do it. But he knows if the bird doesn't come back to me then we pack up. He blasts back to me with the bird I shot so he can get another.

Don't know anything about Vizlas.

TonyS

Post by TonyS » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:44 pm

KCZIE,

If you look at the pictures Setternut posted, especially the white dog (Indy) you are not going to find a more aesthetically pleasing dog on point then a Llewellin.

As far as companion dog, I can tell you I have never had a more affectionate dog than my Llew. Something else to mention is my Llew really doesn't let me get too far out of his sight. Ever heard the expression 'quit bird dogging me'? The epitomy.

As to retrieving, my pup had fetch down at 3 months. For the last 11 months, other than birds I shoot, he would retrieve and withhold anything thrown. With birds he knows if he doesn't bring it back we pack up and leave. He hates that. So he has fetched birds to get out and get the next one. I should mention he is half Humphrey's Bondhu and half Blizzard.

In the past 3 days he pesters me continually to throw stuff for him to retrieve. I have even started hiding stuff because he just doesn't stop.