Kansas hunting

cale88

Kansas hunting

Post by cale88 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:14 pm

Anybody have any good bird reports for ks? I've been up north atound axtell and ouf west by Wilson lake. Both times it was a warmer weekend but did not see or hear any birds. I'm thinking either noth west or southwest.any fellow hunters have good days in those areas?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Kansas hunting

Post by topher40 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Bird numbers are spotty depending on area. In my neck of the woods, quail are doing well. I have been averaging a covey per each 80 acres that I hunt.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:49 pm

Like Topher said birds are spotty, at best. I think we are all hoping for several years of ideal weather and even at that with the habitat going away the pheasants may never make a substantial come back.

Think Iowa............ Once upon a time a state that was mentioned when speaking of pheasant hunting. I don't think the pheasants ever made a comeback even close to what they were in it's hay day. Corn is king and CRP is now the step child.

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:38 am

Went out Sunday morning on private land 4 of us. My EP just turn 2 Friday I didn't carry a gun just working the dog. She did pretty good we had 5 birds around 11:00 that morning. We probably seen around 12 birds that morning. This was all in heavy grass found nothing in stubble field. I have brag on the pup a little. The last bird of the day she was rock solid. I had a CC on her and 2 guys came in to flush. The almost unloaded their gun on that bird and missed. They came over to pet my dog and apologize to her for missing the bird. That made my day. There are birds out but have to look hard. Good Luck
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

skeetermc

Post by skeetermc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:51 pm

I've been to KS twice this year and had blast hunting with old friends and good dogs. We found very few birds. The best area we hunted was around Meade. We hunted WIHA that had Milo or Corn crops adjacent to or in the vicinity. Hunt the areas that are on the far edges of populated centers. Good chicken population this year and quail are descent too. Good Luck! Let us know how you did.