pheasants and quialhunting

jeff shumaker

pheasants and quialhunting

Post by jeff shumaker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:22 pm

I have gone out everyweekend and since the start of the season I have not walked a spot that has not had a covey or 2 of quial.Went today and we got 7 quial and 2 pheasants should of had alot more. I have seen more quial this year then any year. We got 5 pheasants and 2 quial the day before. The pheasants are hit and miss. Anybody around beatrice area having any luck.good luck everybody

treedaddy

Re: pheasants and quialhunting

Post by treedaddy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Never hunted in Nebraska, but I spent the hottest day of my life in Beatrice. I played baseball for Hutchinson Kansas in the old Jawhawk league. We played at Beatrice sometime in July of 1980 and it was 107 with about 85% humidity. The ball field was surrounded by corn fields and boy was it hot. I remember seeing pheasants driving on those long bus rides from town to town through Nebraska, Kansas and Iowa.

Firelight

Post by Firelight » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:15 pm

Glad to hear you are getting into decent quail numbers and managing to scare up a few roosters while at it. We are doing the same, not too far from Beatrice. If the covey is large enough we will take a bird or two from it but quite a few of the coveys we have seen are small and we just let them go. We are also being very careful to not bother the quail during this cold weather and even on warm days we wrap up by 3:00 to make sure they have time to covey back up. Love having those little guys around for dog work and want to make sure they're here every year.

jeff shumaker

Post by jeff shumaker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:50 pm

I think with some luck and good weather next year could have a bunch of them

Wing Chaser

Post by Wing Chaser » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:14 pm

Had good days here in Kansas. In first 4 morning trips to public ground my 1 year old Viszla and I got in to 3 roosters and 5 coveys. One trip was a bust in a poor area so actually it was 3 trips. Better rains really helped the cover and the number of surviving chicks. Praying for good rain again this year.