Dogs in field during deer season??

Wing Chaser

Dogs in field during deer season??

Post by Wing Chaser » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:06 pm

I don't take my dog bird hunting during deer season here in Kansas. Am I being to cautious? Yes, I do use a orange vest on the dog. I have not actually heard of a dog getting shot but the general message I get from others is not to have them in the field. Really missing out on some prime hunting time. I only have public land to hunt so private is not an option for me.
Thanks

Donnytpburge

Re: Dogs in field during deer season??

Post by Donnytpburge » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:11 pm

If it's public ground I would go hunting & shoot some birds!

Db

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:21 pm

If its public land you have as much of a right to be there as the next person utilizing the resource. With that being said if someone is in a covert I hunt in public land I go to my next, they could be deer hunting or bird hunting or mushroom hunting. I like peace and quiet and am sure they do too. More of a respect thing for me than a concern someone will shoot my dog. Not sure but I think there may be a couple of states that close the woods down to only deer hunting during deer season?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:49 pm

Depends.
I have hunted both Kansas and Iowa during their deer gun seasons.
No issues...never felt uncomfortable.
In both states, one could often see trucks parked watching to see if we ran any deer out.
It is one time I often wear a bit of blaze orange though....even if it is not required.
Other more crowded states or with more issues of thick cover...a different deal entire, best to be careful.
Probably best if bird season was not open during deer season, I suppose.
The problem there is the often very long bow deer season.
I have more concerns in bow season and with bowhunters that hate dogs and hunters changing the patterns of "their" deer...they often profess the tough guy tune of SS&S.
They also may confuse(like that is possible) a birddog...lost, straying or hunting with a coyote possibly impacting again, "their" deer somewhere down the line....I don't trust bowhunters very far.

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:22 am

I have have been hunting these parts pass 30 years and never ran into a problem. Both public and privet. I hunt with about 5 guys and 4 dogs. Good luck
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:14 am

I have heard some states allow deer hunters to shoot dogs bothering their hunt. There was an incident like this that happend just last yeat with a bow hunter shootting a bird hunters dog.
While I will not justify a deer hunter or anyone else shooting mine or someone elses dog. It would probably be best to just avoid it.
Avoiding by if a parking lot is full move on to another. Don't just stop hunting for bow hunters. Gun deer season on the other hand. Its short here so I don't bother hunting birds. I hunt deer instead lol. And a slug or rifle round will travel a lot farther then an arrow if they miss or its a through kill.
I think we as sportsmen should be supportive of other hunters pursuits.
In most states I think when hunting trees/forests where deer hunters are most common there is plenty of land to share.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:04 am

think we as sportsmen should be supportive of other hunters pursuits.
My position too!!! There are some bad apples in every venue.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:02 am

Mountaineer wrote:Depends.
In both states, one could often see trucks parked watching to see if we ran any deer out.
It is one time I often wear a bit of blaze orange though....even if it is not required.
Other more crowded states or with more issues of thick cover...a different deal entire, best to be careful.
I have more concerns in bow season and with bowhunters that hate dogs and hunters changing the patterns of "their" deer...they often profess the tough guy tune of SS&S.
They also may confuse(like that is possible) a birddog...lost, straying or hunting with a coyote possibly impacting again, "their" deer somewhere down the line....I don't trust bowhunters very far.
I live in Iowa and I bowhunt and run bird dogs. I know many others that bowhunt too. NONE of them would even dream of doing the things you describe. We are the stewards of the land and the herd.

Please don't give us all a bad name just because of your personal prejudices.

Doug Spencer

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:22 am

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote: I live in Iowa and I bowhunt and run bird dogs. I know many others that bowhunt too. NONE of them would even dream of doing the things you describe. We are the stewards of the land and the herd.

Doug Spencer

Some are.....some are not.
Try moving to Ohio and maintain the same degree of conviction.
Please monitor your bowhunting friends and address your mature and commendable attitude to them when the message board grin of SS&S arises.
Same as trappers....good ones are around by the bucket full and then there are the ones who are those most responsible for...the "giving of a the bad name".
Never a positive to ignore the bad apples simply because one can fit the name hunter to them.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:29 am

What is SS&S? Just wondering. ..

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:36 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote: I live in Iowa and I bowhunt and run bird dogs. I know many others that bowhunt too. NONE of them would even dream of doing the things you describe. We are the stewards of the land and the herd.

Doug Spencer

Some are.....some are not.
Try moving to Ohio and maintain the same degree of conviction.
Please monitor your bowhunting friends and address your mature and commendable attitude to them when the message board grin of SS&S arises.
Same as trappers....good ones are around by the bucket full and then there are the ones who are those most responsible for...the "giving of a the bad name".
Never a positive to ignore the bad apples simply because one can fit the name hunter to them.
I don't even understand what half of that even means.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:36 am

Shoot, Shovel & Shutup

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:53 am

Meller wrote:Shoot, Shovel & Shutup
Thanks
Thought it was sh!t, shower, and shave. Don't know how that would have fit into the topic but thats my term or three S' s lol.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:38 pm

I'm in PA and hunt deer and small game and there is an early archery and muzzle loader season and a 2 day junior/senior antlerless dear hunt, but small game shuts down during the two week rifle deer season and muzzle loader and winter archery are open during the second small game season. I don't really worry about deer hunters bothering my dog but I would imagine it does happen in some areas. The law in PA states that even if a dog is chasing a deer it does not give anyone the right to shoot the dog. The dog must be attacking and injuring the deer for anyone to take action.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Depends.
I live in Iowa and I bowhunt and run bird dogs. I know many others that bowhunt too. NONE of them would even dream of doing the things you describe. We are the stewards of the land and the herd.

Doug Spencer
I own ground in Iowa and lived there for a few years. I never had a problem with neighbors or other ethical hunters but have never been anywhere that has as many poachers that are just plain outlaws. Have called law enforcement as well as game wardens to no avail. The game warden suggested shooting over their heads when we catch them on our ground. Trees stands are stolen, fences cut, stands built on our property, and nothing changes.

I just can't believe that goes on in a good rural area and everyone is afraid to cross them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:50 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I own ground in Iowa and lived there for a few years. I never had a problem with neighbors or other ethical hunters but have never been anywhere that has as many poachers that are just plain outlaws. Have called law enforcement as well as game wardens to no avail. The game warden suggested shooting over their heads when we catch them on our ground. Trees stands are stolen, fences cut, stands built on our property, and nothing changes.I just can't believe that goes on in a good rural area and everyone is afraid to cross them.Ezzy
We don't tolerate that kind of stuff in PA. Most land owners prosecute outlaws here. Having said that I have always found bow hunters to be sportsmen and have never had any problems with them. I would be more worried about rifle hunters if running a dog during deer season.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:14 pm

I don't hunt my dogs during deer season here in Missouri. Doe season maybe, but not regular rifle season. It's 10 days out of my hunting season and I just don't want to risk the dogs - and the areas I hunt are mainly public land - so I don't want to mess up someone's deer season either.

I do hunt some bow only areas during firearms season. But I am cautious with my dogs.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:25 pm

I don't bird hunt during deer season... but thats because its freaking deer season! LOL. Seriously though, unless I'm out for deer during the 2 weeks we have of rifle I do not go in the woods. Both for safety and because I think its kind of rude to be busting brush for birds when someone might be out there waiting on deer. Deer season is a break for the bird dog - deer means beagle/hound work, and that my friend is just as beautiful. Nothing like the sound of tonguing as you're sitting overlooking a frost/snow covered field/thicket/dam to get your temperature up!
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:39 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:I don't bird hunt during deer season...................because I think its kind of rude to be busting brush for birds when someone might be out there waiting on deer. ...
One state has deer season running from September 28 to Feb. 1.
Avoiding that interval would guarantee a very rested birddog.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:42 pm

You Betcha!! But we don't have many wild birds anyways!!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:19 pm

I don't bird hunt during the gun season hear in illinois, mostly out of respect for the deer hunters, although, I know some deer hunters welcome it becsuse it keeps the deer moving. We do have some state pheasant programs where deer hunting is not permitted and Iwill hunt those. Ido hunt during bow season because of the long season but try to avoid areas where I know there are bow hunters, again out of respect and not because of any fear of my dogs being shot. The bottom line is that we are all in this together and must support each other or we all loose! There are unethical people in every venue but we can't condemn an entire sport because of a few idiots.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:12 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:You Betcha!! But we don't have many wild birds anyways!!

And...there is math to do involving that sad fact that goes past the most important and first thought game bird decline factors of habitat, weather and predators....especially as any of those game birds slide waaay down a decline curve.

Not many of us who have bird hunted for many decades do not and have not changed direction as a full tree stand is seen or have failed to move to another spot as a pickup is parked where we were going to start, with an archery sticker on the window.
A common enough occurrence.
What is uncommon is any reducing of deer feeders spitting corn in front of a stand/camera feeding nest predators; working to find creative Leasing structures of once open to the Public Corporate ground that would allow a better win-win to landowner and young Jimmy down the road rather than just to one specie-focused hunter; not finding cheap snares decking the woods like a Christmas tree and checked only when the deer feeder needs filled by protectors protecting "their" focus rather than ethical trappers trying to make an honest buck by helping reduce predators and their impacts.
What is uncommon is to find is the often tooted respect being shown past what elicits high-fives on blind to reality message boards or fails to take into account where disrespect delivers losses past a changing deer pattern...or maybe, imagined losses to an imaginary united voice.
Sadly, it is uncommon to learn that individuals even fail to recognize that particular sections of this country find far different struggles and have far different needs than their own area.
The most important voices could well be those heard pointing out where damage is occurring to hunter recruitment and game bird declines by fellow hunters...that one is the voice that deserves some support rather than finding convenient ways to ignore them.
Respect is indeed a two-way street with a certain few sticking up one-way signs on that road, as they dislike the traffic going past them.
However, I'm no longer sufficiently optimistic or naïve to a measure that will allow me to believe that enough folks care to ever change the mistaken placing of importance where popularity lies.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:08 am

Here in Wyoming, there are big game seasons running from September 1 through December. So there is no way to avoid hunting grouse during big game seasons (bow or rifle).

There are not many people out here compared to the Midwest and back east, but I have run into hunters, most are courteous. I did have one guy tell me that I should be concerned that someone would shoot my GWP by mistake--she was wearing a bright orange squawking beeper collar, and does not look anything like an elk or deer! She did point a calf elk though....

That said, I generally avoid the popular, easily accessed areas after a storm or early in the day. Most big game hunters are out at first light and dusk, so limiting your hunting to the middle of the day generally avoids conflicts.

TonyS

Post by TonyS » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:38 pm

The thing to remember is that it only takes one bullet shot by an idiot to kill your dog. ONE!

Out here, in the area I hunt, I have seen idiots in the back of pickups blasting away with semi-autos at everything near including shots too close to other vehicles traveling that road. Although I have a white dog that couldn't be mistaken for a coyote I am not going to take a chance. I know murder is a crime so if I don't put my dog in harm's way then I won't shoot anyone.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:32 pm

We don't hunt after trapping season starts. Just not willing to risk the dogs to a trap that could maim or kill the dog. :cry: