Good area to hunt pheasant in Kansas?

Wildirishman64

Post by Wildirishman64 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:06 pm

I am interested in getting some feedback on public hunting areas that hold good bird numbers in Kansas? If anyone has hunted there and can enlighten me I would be grateful. Thx
Go Irish or Go Home, Take a child hunting and you will never have to hunt for him!

KwikIrish

Re: Good area to hunt pheasant in Kansas?

Post by KwikIrish » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:01 pm

Would counties be sufficient or would you prefer gps coordinates?
I recommend you get out there and scout/hunt like the rest of us instead of asking for locations on a public forum... Most of us put in a lot of man and dog hours finding the birds. I can't help but laugh at this request... Sorry.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:52 am

I didn't get any information this season. But last season the drought had decimated the game bird populations in western Kansas. I kept checking rainfall this past spring breeding season and didnt see much if any improvement. I think its still a low probability hunt in western Kansas.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:11 am

all this guy is asking is if anyone knows a decent area. you dont have to give him your honeyhole.... you ever think this guy is coming from a long way and did his research but wants some real life advice. whats the point of this forum? isnt it to help each other? and if you dont want to give him any feedback then dont respond.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:15 am

The best thing to do is wait until the WIHA maps are out for next season, read the upland forecast for the season on the kdwpt website, pick an area based on winter weather,nesting conditions,brooding conditions etc. I have hunted kansas the last few years and while it is private land that i hunt the WIHA around where i hunt did look good sometimes and from my experience the kdwpt web site is a good tool to use.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:19 am

Instead of beating you up for asking this question I'll add some useful information. If you wait until the upland bird forecast comes out that will be a starting place. Combine that with rainfall maps and it will get you in the areas.

The public areas in KS get beat up pretty bad. Some of them will have trails through them from armies of hunters. Don't expect to come here and find it to be like South Dakota or you will be very disappointed.

Unless a miracle happens I would not plan a pheasant hunting trip to Kansas anytime soon. Our bird populations may not ever recover to the levels they were just a few years ago. Farming practices are changing, it seems daily, leaving less and less habitat for the birds. The drought has been decimating on our birds.

Wildirishman64

Post by Wildirishman64 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:57 pm

KwikIrish wrote:Would counties be sufficient or would you prefer gps coordinates?
I recommend you get out there and scout/hunt like the rest of us instead of asking for locations on a public forum... Most of us put in a lot of man and dog hours finding the birds. I can't help but laugh at this request... Sorry.
I'm not laughing but thanks anyways. I've been hunting for 35 years and am really not interested I. Your favorite spot. When I lived in Colorado I always helped my fellow hunters with areas that held good populations? For example, I could drive to Sterling CO and hunt in areas that I found some years ago. The success and fond memories I gained was relayed to other hunters or my military buddies so they could enjoy it too? Your statement says more about you and for the information I was requesting. I know that spring and summer will impact sustained populations, very important info when putting an expensive trip together.
Go Irish or Go Home, Take a child hunting and you will never have to hunt for him!

Wildirishman64

Post by Wildirishman64 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:01 pm

duckn66 wrote:Instead of beating you up for asking this question I'll add some useful information. If you wait until the upland bird forecast comes out that will be a starting place. Combine that with rainfall maps and it will get you in the areas.

The public areas in KS get beat up pretty bad. Some of them will have trails through them from armies of hunters. Don't expect to come here and find it to be like South Dakota or you will be very disappointed.

Unless a miracle happens I would not plan a pheasant hunting trip to Kansas anytime soon. Our bird populations may not ever recover to the levels they were just a few years ago. Farming practices are changing, it seems daily, leaving less and less habitat for the birds. The drought has been decimating on our birds.
Thanks for the information and I agree we experience the impact of rainfall on grouse broods here in KY. I appreciate this useful feedback. I went to the website and pulled up last years upland forecast. I will do the same in September. Just trying to find a place for my GSP could get on some birds. FYI thanks Diplomat, my sentiments exactly.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:00 pm

KwikIrish wrote:Would counties be sufficient or would you prefer gps coordinates?
I agree, we all need to do our own scouting.

I once found a obscure WMA that held a good number of birds, wrote a letter complimenting the manager, next time I go, a previously empty parking area looked like Walmart. They wiped out the birds. Another time I told a couple guys at a Quail Forever meeting, same thing. Now I won't even tell my son, blindfolding him if he comes along.

There are too many of us chasing too few birds on too small WMA'S.

I post this to teach others.

KsHusker

Post by KsHusker » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:41 pm

To be honest if you are planning on spending lots of money on a trip Id bypass this state and go somewhere else.

All I did was get exercise for the 2012, and 2013 seasons. I dont expect it to be a heckuva lot better next year. If you're going on the most bang for your buck, more will be had somewhere else.

I like to hunt many days so Id prefer to spread out my money spent over the entire season and just stay close to home, plus Ive been developing some relationships with landowners that I hope carries on for years to come. If I was interested in #'s of birds per dollar spent as a native and current Kansan Id be traveling and suggest you travel elsewhere.

If you want to see the sights and explore, pick anywhere north/south with a line drawn through Wichita and then west to colorado. You'll be able to get into pheasants in that part of the state as that is part of their native range. Some can be had NE but not in large #'s The flint hills and SEK are pretty much devoid of them.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:21 pm

My guess is you might do better asking for a region in a PM rather than asking for info placed on a public message board....many folks surf these boards and do a bit of pre-hunting 1+1.
Perhaps not...but it would make more sense.
Understand, hunters can impact low bird populations.....you ask a lot at a time when a lot is just not the norm in Kansas, et al.

You could try http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com as well.

Most understand the role drought played in cutting or grazing WIHAs and in crop responses across the plains....and therefore, bird numbers.
Chicks don't need much more than a drop of water but they do need that drop.
The area will recover from this cycle but, when is the question.
Also, "good" as applied to bird numbers is a very relative term and may mean something different to you in KY than someone elsewhere.
There may be a lag as some older birds survived the drought conditions as the chicks perished....those older birds will naturally die and the lag may then be in the infill...it will vary a bit with area.
Pick an area, check the WIHAs(ask for an atlas) as they are not all equal in the best of times, expect a learning curve for both the dog and you and ...walk...repeat that sentence often.
I would also consider timing your trip with crop harvest in mind.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:30 pm

Local bird populations are no secret. Call the regional fish and game biologist for your selected area. They get paid to know and share.

Wildirishman64

Post by Wildirishman64 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks for all the useful information, just what I was looking for.

aeast8

Post by aeast8 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:34 pm

If I found them myself I would try to help you. Been to KS last 2 years and won't be going back until the numbers come back from the drought. I found decent numbers at Wilson state lake, but a lot of hunters there. I started chasing other species like sharpies and having a great time. Farther drive for me but way less hunters and found good numbers. It's to bad you can't get more help from this forum. Check out Valentine, NE for sharpies and chickens.

Wildirishman64

Post by Wildirishman64 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:47 pm

Aeast, good info. I'm all about hunting sharpies. Different version of our grouse here in KY. I may look into that for aure

aeast8

Post by aeast8 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Irishman, you'll love Valentine, NE. Had a blast, going back every year. Dog did great hunting them. Good luck.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:25 am

Even the South Dakota pheasant population has been declining over the past 25 years. State counts seem to defy hunter anecdotal accounts. This past few seasons have been the worst I've seen. The combination of weather, farming practices, and West Nile have put the hurt on the birds.