2013/2014 Grouse season

ruffbritt4

2013/2014 Grouse season

Post by ruffbritt4 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:35 pm

How was everyones grouse season? This was my first and we did well with birds seen each time out.

Grange

Re: 2013/2014 Grouse season

Post by Grange » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:06 pm

Mine was pretty good. With the bird numbers supposedly a down year it was still a lot of fun. I don't remember going without bird contact with a gun and maybe once with the training pistol. I had several big days with lots of birds and a few with just one or two. I got to hunt with some new folks, which is always a treat and saw some really nice dogs. I don't know how many I actually took home, but still a couple left for another meal or two. My biggest observation this season was that the grouse were really wearing track shoes the second half of the season. It was not uncommon to have to relocate my setter or watch my lab work scent for a while before finally putting up the bird. I really noticed birds seeking those escape routes rather than flushing.

jack the dog

Post by jack the dog » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:58 am

Bad season here in the southern apps.
Fewest birds ever from my perspective.
Let me always be the person my dog thinks I am.

aeast8

Post by aeast8 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:18 am

This was the first time I went grouse hunting. Went to the NE Sandhills and was pleased. Shot a limit 1 done and had pretty good numbers the other days. I can now say I'm addicted to sharpies and chickens and will be going back every year.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Grange wrote:Mine was pretty good. With the bird numbers supposedly a down year it was still a lot of fun. I don't remember going without bird contact with a gun and maybe once with the training pistol. I had several big days with lots of birds and a few with just one or two. I got to hunt with some new folks, which is always a treat and saw some really nice dogs. I don't know how many I actually took home, but still a couple left for another meal or two. My biggest observation this season was that the grouse were really wearing track shoes the second half of the season. It was not uncommon to have to relocate my setter or watch my lab work scent for a while before finally putting up the bird. I really noticed birds seeking those escape routes rather than flushing.
How did you do on woodcock? My dad shot one over my Brittanys point. They are fun birds for a pointing dog.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:18 am

Pretty low population of grouse and I think the young ones left ma, earlier than I have seen in the past. Always had bird contacts just not the numbers I had expected, but this may be because the young dispersed so early. While training late summer, early fall, I had thought ther were quite a few grouse. WOODCOCK---I have never seen so many before, altho I hadn't hunted them before this last few years, now training for the pup. I had quit shooting them, the population had dropped so much and I really hadn't tasted a good one! NOw, I believe this is my favorite upland bird to eat, better than quail,different recipe! Pluck all birds, clean, cracker crumbs and eggs, soy sauce in this mixture, pan fry until brown, finish in the oven for 1 hr at 300 degrees. My cousin said he wouldn't shoot them for me anymore after we feasted on these. He is going to keep them for himself!
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

ChetB

Post by ChetB » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:22 pm

My two grandsons and I did pretty well this past season. The oldest, who just turned 21, didn't know what a grouse looked like before this and had never hunted small game before ... he and his dad only ever hunted deer. The younger one is 13 and he managed to bag three during the season. He also got his first Pheasant back in November and my GSP actually retrieved that bird to his hand as though she knew he was the one who shot it. All in all, I'd have to say we had a successful season. The boys are learning, the dog worked her heart out and we came home with at least one bird every day we hunted grouse. Nevertheless, I think grouse numbers are down a bit in my part of PA ... at least they seemed to be a little more scarce in places I've always found them in the past. A hunt club outing is planned for the beginning of April, then we'll hang it up until dove season.

Chet

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:06 pm

Seems NY was down with grouse, although the resident woodcock seemed to be up and a good push came also. All in all not a bad season, not the best but still a lot of good laughs and good times were had. Glad you had fun.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:12 pm

Sounds like everyone had a great season. We are planning a grouse/woodcock trip to Maine in October. After my first hunting season with a dog I am excited for October!