Boykin vs cocker

Minneguy

Boykin vs cocker

Post by Minneguy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:56 am

Hey guys! I'm asking this for my dad.
He is looking at getting another hunting dog in the future, and is considering another springer, but would like something a little smaller. I'm suggested a Boykin or an English cocker, and I was wondering if anyone had real world experience with both. My dad would hunt primarily field ducks, grouse and the occasional pheasants. No real need for a water dog, which is why he is looking at a spaniel. He also wants a dog that could blood trail a deer and find sheds so a good nose is important. Any info is greatly appreciated, I will be doing research for the next few months to help him out. Thanks

Minneguy

Boykin vs cocker

Post by Minneguy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:58 pm

Anybody?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Boykin vs cocker

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:10 pm

I am partial to Boykins with reason, but I have heatd very good reports on English cockers lately. I think either would work well, as would an American water spaniel. I would just be sure the pup is from proven hunting parents that have health clearances; hiips and eyes at least. Skin issues can be a concern. Inspect the parents and the kennel. The individual pup is more important than the breed, in this case. Oh if youur dad is not an experienced trainer and you decide on a Boykin., I would get a female. Tthe males can be a challenge for some.

Good luck and enjoy. Spaniiels are great for what your dad wants.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:52 pm

What size was his last ESS? Typical field bred springers I've owned or seen, (particularly those with British blood) are in the 30-35 lb range for females and 40-45 lbs for males. Not all that big of a dog really. Well bred ESS's are pretty difficult to beat for the type of hunting you described.

Nate

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:53 pm

There's a poster on here named Cracker. Extremely knowledgable about spaniels in general. I'd ask Crackered.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Minneguy wrote:Hey guys! I'm asking this for my dad.
He is looking at getting another hunting dog in the future, and is considering another springer, but would like something a little smaller. I'm suggested a Boykin or an English cocker, and I was wondering if anyone had real world experience with both. My dad would hunt primarily field ducks, grouse and the occasional pheasants. No real need for a water dog, which is why he is looking at a spaniel. He also wants a dog that could blood trail a deer and find sheds so a good nose is important. Any info is greatly appreciated, I will be doing research for the next few months to help him out. Thanks
If your dad lives in MN also, it is illegal to use a dog to blood trail a deer here.

Minneguy

Boykin vs cocker

Post by Minneguy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:49 pm

His last springer was a bigger gal at 40 lbs even. She was a great dog for him to! Took tons of phez and grouse with her, but she wouldn't even think about retrieving a duck

Minneguy

Boykin vs cocker

Post by Minneguy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:50 pm

I'll ask him and see what he says ! Thanks!

Minneguy

Boykin vs cocker

Post by Minneguy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:53 pm

nikegundog wrote:
Minneguy wrote:Hey guys! I'm asking this for my dad.
If your dad lives in MN also, it is illegal to use a dog to blood trail a deer here.
I looked into it and you're correct. That is such a stupid law, I almost can't fathom the reason they would want a deer to be lost simply because the hunter gets off the trail or loses the spoor. I really hope they change that. Even knowing that it's illegal, it would be very difficult to not want to use the dog if a hunter were to lose the trail. Such a shame!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:03 am

Minneguy wrote:His last springer was a bigger gal at 40 lbs even. She was a great dog for him to! Took tons of phez and grouse with her, but she wouldn't even think about retrieving a duck
Water work is a matter of training, but the AWS and Boykins tend to take to it quickly.

My female Boykins average under 30 pounds.

Minneguy

Boykin vs cocker

Post by Minneguy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:50 am

So realistically there isn't a ton of size difference between a male Boykin and a female springer-

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Check out this website to view pictures of some well bred field spaniels. They are also good and reputable breeders not too far from you. http://www.craneyhill.com

Nate