How do you ?

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

How do you ?

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:09 am

How do you folk get the bird into the air and get a shot at it in situations like these two ? If you cannot get in front of the dog to kick the birds up and if you could not get a shot anyway due to the density of the cover, what do you do ?
Do you stay back from the dog and tell it to make the flush ? How do you get a shot at the bird ?

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Rod W

Re: How do you ?

Post by Rod W » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:14 am

I carry, a few, throwing sized rocks, I wish I had all of the shotgun shells back that I threw, to flush the birds!
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:41 am

Walk in and kick it up, skeet choke and a lifetime kicks in...sometimes a miss, sometimes a connect....either way...move on to the next as it's just one opportunity that seldom defines a day.
More of an issue with poor training or Preserve birds, ime, but thick cover and a scampering wild game bird happens if the cover and the bird's experience permits it.
At times, the bird has left and my setter is still on point as they hear me coming...a head tap has them relocating as necessary and then we see.
Your example is common but the cover appears more isolated in the first photo and not so bad in the second.
I seldom either back one of my birddogs or fret much if the particulars allows the bird to win.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:05 pm

I have never thought about throwing rocks in to try to flush the bird.

In the first pic the thistles and other weeds conceal a large, deep ditch and a fence behind which is some bushes. I could walk in if it were only thistles but the ditch and fence pose problems.

The second pic shows bushes and I could not push my way very far into them and could not swing the gun to shoot among them either. Those bushes extend for about another 30 yards down the hill . I try to deal with this sort of problem by not going to the dog . I look for easier walking off to one side of her or the other that might offer a shot at the bird then send the dog in to flush from as much as 20-30 yards away. It doesn't always work and maybe 2 out of 3 times the bird exits where it cannot be shot..... but the third time makes it worthwhile ! :D

That is what happened in this pic. The vizsla went on point to a pheasant down in the bottom of a very muddy sided little gulley full of fallen branches and a few trees. I commanded the flush from the top of the gulley , she flushed the bird and this time it was shot.
I wouldn't have liked going down into that gulley to flush the bird or even to tell the dog to flush it.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:27 pm

I think "I wish I had a flusher here to day." :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:09 am

Only, If that flusher ---SHOVELS SNOW!!!
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:12 pm

Welcome to ruffed grouse hunting. That is a question I often ask myself.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:32 am

IMO, every pointer type dog should flush on command.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:02 pm

Sharon wrote:I think "I wish I had a flusher here to day." :)
I'm considering a small flusher for dog #2 for in part this reason.