Idaho Hunting

Hotpepper

Idaho Hunting

Post by Hotpepper » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:59 pm

Just wondering how my Favorite Idaho doctor is doing with the hunting.

Let us have a full report.

Mr. Doug.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

sharptailhunter

Post by sharptailhunter » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:38 pm

Good luck hearing from him, he's been out chukar hunting the whole weekend. Rough life he has eh? :roll:

I spoke to him tonight before his hot date, said the hunting has been pretty good.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:54 pm

Hi fellars - thanks for caring. Hunting has been great! Tried out several new spots this weekend and found good numbers at all of them -huns, chukars, quail, and sage hens. We had a little horse mishap yesterday that cut our day short but all in all I was excited with the birds, elated with the dogs, and the 'ol man Stitchyboy just blew me away Sat. and Sun. - WOW! Here's a couple highlights:

Lily one month shy of 12y.o. resting with the fruit of her labors:

Lily and I on take #44 of our attempts at a self portrait:

A couple of where we were hunting:

Oh, and the date went OK except she has a lab.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:31 pm

Looks like a great hunt!! Beautiful , amazing pictures!!!

Mav......

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:55 am

So sorry.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:57 am

Could have been worse; she may have owned cats.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:24 pm

Could have been worse; she may have owned cats.
Oh yah, forgot about the cat too. He was a little less conspicuous than the 100# lab trying to sit on my lap.

On Sunday we had just made our first hunt with a brace of dogs (insert a little brag - Stitch absolutely rocked, 6 finds in about an and a half on 3 coveys chukars, a covey of huns and two bunches sage hens. About killed off JR trying to keep up but was awesome, absolutely filled that country up - I'm still pumped about it) We loaded up to move over to another spot. When we got there we heard a horrible groaning from the horses and found one down in the trailer with her front hoof wedged at a hideous angle underneath the calf gate. The sharp angle iron on the bottom had caught her right at the coronet band and sliced down through the hoof wall - it was for real stuck and she didn't look too good. She was putting so much pressure on the gate we couldn't lift it off the hinges for quite awhile with 3 people lifting on it then somehow everything just lined up right and the gate popped off and we got her unstuck - but still wedged upside down against the gate. After alot of grunting and groaning we got her spun around, got her saddle off, begged her to get up and she finally did. Pretty beat up, large puncture from something in a rear leg but looks like she's gonna be OK. We called it quits after that and got her home. Never a dull moment. Don't know what a guy would do if he was by himself and that happened.

Taking a good look at the calf gates in our trailers. Gonna weld some half round on the bottom to get rid of the sharp angle and lessen the gap so a horse can't get a foot through it.
Last edited by DGFavor on Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hotpepper

Favor ite shooting

Post by Hotpepper » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:26 pm

Great Doug, except I would like to know who was doing the shooting.?? Was the boy from Spokane with ya as it looks pretty good from here where I am.

Knew you were there somewhere so I just had to go looking.

Get my drift.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:35 pm

No, the boy from Spokane was over in central Oregon hunting with F'n Jer and company. Sounds like they had a good time and Dan has apparently bagged a new world record chukar. :D I talked to him on Friday after I had just finished bagging a couple chukars and a couple huns over Bugsy, my Dunfur youngster. Wow, he's a picture on point just needs a ton more birds and experience.

Had to do my own shooting Friday so I hunted Bugsy and Lily since I don't care what they do after the flush/shot. On Sat/Sun we took turns doing the gunning depending on whose dog was on point. Usually the guy who's dog is pointing will handle his dog, trying to make sure we don't let manners get too out of control in the excitement of hunting.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:43 am

Great pics, Doug. I can't imagine chasing my dog someplace where you have to look down to see clouds - I'm a wussy flatlander! :lol: Would love to try it sometime, though.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:02 pm

I can't imagine chasing my dog someplace where you have to look down to see clouds - I'm a wussy flatlander!
That's actually fog and can get horribly thick to where you better know your way around out in that country or have a GPS to get back to your rig. All those rocks and ridges look alike in the fog and it can be extremely tough sometimes to know where you're at.

I bet you'd get used to it pretty quick and there's nothing like finding a bunch of birds to flatten those hills out a little. :D That type of terrain is all I ever knew for hunting birds growing up but now I'm getting soft chasing sharpies around the "flatlands". This afternoon I ran out to the area we run the Reg. 9 Am. SD and hunted Stitch. I had my Garmin Forerunner on and noted that I gained 1400 ft. in just under 3/4 of a mile so maybe it's not that flat!! Had two nice finds on sharpies in that time though so didn't seem to bad!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:27 pm

A 30 degree incline doesn't qualify for flat or even close to it. :roll: :roll: :lol:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:20 am

A 30 degree incline doesn't qualify for flat or even close to it.
That particular hill is just past halfway on course 1 and can really suck the life out of the horses. The top is a great sharptail hangout though so the anticipation/anxiety is great when you watch the dogs crest that hill far to the front and your horse is begging for a break! Last year unfortunately one of my buddy's horses died out there - very sad. I was on foot this time getting myself some exercise trying to keep legged up for the chukars. Stitchy put the hurt on me pretty bad - ended up hunting just a hair over 5 miles, not sure what the net elevation changes ended up being, 7 sharpie finds and one wascally wooster pheasant that we never did get pinpointed before he flew well out of range.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:50 pm

Well I screwed that one up. I downloaded my GPS info. tonight and I was only off by about 700ft the other day...should have been a 700ft. climb over .74 miles...half as steep. Thought 30 degrees seemed pretty steep!

I did a chukar hunt this afternoon that was killing me and I noticed on the GPS I wasn't gaining near the elevation I thought I did the other day. I had to come home and download the data to figure out where I'd screwed up.

Got Bugsy back in the truck tonight about 6:20 - it gets dark a little after 5. Glad the Tracker receiver has lights to see in the dark.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:57 pm

The horse fiasco the other day really spooked me even though it's the only time we've ever had that problem in thousands and thousands of miles traveled. I decided to get a camera/monitor system to keep an eye on things back in the trailer going down the road. We were lucky that we were just making a short hop but it's not uncommon to travel maybe 4 or 5 hours on a big trip without checking on the horses - a horse that got down could be dead in that period of time. The horses are the hardest working members of our team and sure deserve better than meeting their end crumpled up in a horse trailer. The cam will most likely be a complete waste of $$ but at the same time may save one of our buddies.

Anybody else have a camera monitor in their horse compartment?

The other option was to put Sharptailhunter back there with a two way radio but I was afraid the freezing temperatures might damage the radio. :D

sharptailhunter

Post by sharptailhunter » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:05 pm

DGFavor wrote: The horses are the hardest working members of our team...

The other option was to put Sharptailhunter back there with a two way radio but I was afraid the freezing temperatures might damage the radio. :D
I thought I was the hardest working member? See the kind of crazy tasks he makes me do!

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:43 am

You know, that is a really good idea. It might be smart to put one in the tack compartment, looking at the dog boxes. Those cameras are cheap now. The only trick would be to get it to display in the cab. I wonder, if you have a navigational vid screen up there already, if there is a way to make it display...?

Have only seen a horse go down in a trailer a couple of times, but when it happens, it is ugly, difficult, and a real emergency.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:19 pm

The only trick would be to get it to display in the cab.
The set up I bought does have an in cab display and can be set up to monitor two cameras.

http://www.horsewatcher.com/products/447.html

Real good hunting the last two days although darn cold and some snow.

Boating up heck's (Hail's) Canyon tomorrow and Sunday with my dad and brother - like the old days! That's all we used to do to hunt chukar until my dad sold his jet boat a few years ago...my good 'ol brother came through with the new boat this year so I invited myself up for a trip. Can't wait!

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:51 am

Great day yesterday. We've had a bit of snow that's made finding some spots difficult. Alot of the clear spots are getting hit pretty hard and the birds pretty jumpy. I knew of a spot I'd never been to that had good southwest exposure but was a bit out of the way. It required snow chains, a shovel, a jack, and a winch would have been nice - I didn't have any of those things but went anyway. The closest I could get to the spot was about a mile away so I trudged a full 30 minutes through the crusty snow just to get to where it looked good. Immediately Bugsy and I got into birds and ended up with 9 good finds, 8 birds over some very cooperative birds finally. I can only think the birds must have seen my old rusty Browning, torn up brush pants, and the duct tape holding together my bird pouch, then valued style over substance not unlike some field trial judges I know, and underestimated us. :D

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:12 pm

yeah, i read the field. cheap shot.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:00 pm

yeah, i read the field. cheap shot.
The Field report doesn't bother me John but I am honestly, 3 months later, more PO'd about the deal than I was initially. Field trials are performance events and should be judged as such. IMO, only when application, bird finding, endurance, and intensity are deemed equal between dogs, should beauty pageant criteria be used to split hairs. Just frustrating.

Maybe we could cut out all the expensive traveling, wear and tear on ourselves and our animals and just send in pictures of our dogs on point to the judges so they can decide which one is the best bird dog. :D

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:28 pm

Just returned from a great week of hunting. Found birds everywhere and dogs all did great but most importantly had some great times with my family and friends. Spent a great day boating up HellsCanyon to go hunting and saw huge herds of elk, several bunches of bighorn sheep, mule deer to numerous to count, two measly coveys of chukars, a small covey of quail and some huge flocks of turkeys. I'd highly recommend, if one ever gets the chance to go on a boat ride up or float trip down HellsCanyon, whether private or commercial, to jump at the chance. Truly a phenomenal place - deepest river canyon in N. America. Hope the pics don't bore folks but I like to share 'em:

Confluence of the Salmon River (aka "River of No Return") on the left and Snake River/HellsCanyon on the right...we went right:

HellsCanyon from the bottom:

My brothers boat - nice ride. We ran through some fairly heavy water but didn't get up to any of the really big rapids that can eat yer boat and spit it out like a crinkled up beer can. Here's a link to some vids of guys goofing around in some of the big stuff http://www.whitewaterextreme.com/videoclips.html

After the river trip it was back to the Owhyees:

Got birds?:

A couple of no-style birddogs that are beautiful in their owners eyes doing what they do best:

I'm not sure what the story is here - looks like they are all praying - maybe giving thanks for another great day:

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:42 pm

Nice picks Doug.
Here are a couple pics from the chukar hill yesterday.

Gary

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:38 pm

Nice Gary! That's great stuff! I always like the retrieving photos! Is that your Buddy/Annie dog?

Geez, I just hunted for several days but I'm jealous of you guys out hunting this weekend while it's my turn to work!

One more of a whole team in action - I keep hoping I'll catch one with birds in the air but I've just not quite got a good one yet:

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:47 pm

Yup, that's her. Pretty good for a run off, good for nothing, trial breeding heh? I'm heading back out in the morning.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:37 am

That is some beautiful country you are hunting. Great pictures.

Mav....

pameladallaire

hunt

Post by pameladallaire » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:55 am

I love the pictures!! :D

Pam

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:13 pm

DGFavor: Quick question; is that the bucks bag vest you are wearing in the original set of pics? I cant tell, but i have thought that the Buck's Bag Vest would be the ideal hunting vest for those pesky birds we love to chase.
Chris

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:05 pm

Quick question; is that the bucks bag vest you are wearing in the original set of pics? I cant tell, but i have thought that the Buck's Bag Vest would be the ideal hunting vest for those pesky birds we love to chase.
Very close - almost exactly the same. Mine is the Owhyee Chukar Vest made by Bagmaker (now the company is called Initial-Attack and they make a lot of first responder, fire fighter gear). The original Buck's Bags vest is very similar but made of more of a looser mesh than whatever the stiffer/tougher material the Bagmaker vests are made of. I looked at Buck's website and they've changed the vests design and materials slightly from the original. Both Buck's Bags and Bagmaker's are made in Boise and the guys that make them are doing so from field hunting experience. We've seen them out chukar hunting and talk to them in the shop about hunting when we've been in there. They use and understand alot of the same accessories (trackers, transmitters, radios, cameras, H2O, etc.) that we all like to pack around and figure out ways to efficiently carry them.

http://www.initial-attack.com/outdoors/ ... wl%201.htm

http://www.bucksbags.com/cm_item.asp?id=550

Haven't heard much about the chukars down your way this year...finding a few?

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:15 pm

I agree w/ Doug. I use the bagmaker. I have a bucks also. But in my lowly opinion the bagmaker is by far the better vest. Tons of room for clothes, birds, water and all that other junk we pack around. Great waist belt and neoprene shoulder pads.
Regards
Gary

RSNK61

Post by RSNK61 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:55 pm

Beautiful pics of the mighty Snake I can't believe there aren't any pics of steelhead or sturgeon. No trolling while your looking at all that beautiful landscape. Being from your neck of the woods originally (IF) I love seeing those pics you are a lucky man. I am truely jealous.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:32 am

Beautiful pics of the mighty Snake I can't believe there aren't any pics of steelhead or sturgeon.
We zig zagged our way through all the steelheaders - they were out in full force. Alot of them were backtrolling right at the head of sets of rapids and made it a little dicey getting up through the rough water without hitting their boats, rocks, or taking out their fishing lines. My brother and I have ran up through that stuff a gazillion times with my dad piloting the boat but for some reason it all looks different and more dangerous when you get behind the wheel (or stick) yourself. I always figured if my dad was hurt or something I could drive us out of there but it can actually be tougher coming back downstream - you've got the force of the current pushing you into things the whole time so you've got to stay on the gas to maintain some sort of control. Plus alot of those rapids have some big drops at the heads of them that you can't see over from upstream. It's a spooky blind drop into them unless you've done it before. We've caught some good air a time or two and knocked out the windshield once in Waterspout rapids when I think we went underneath a big roller instead of over the top of it. Good times!

Yah, it's beautiful, rugged country...I could spend the rest of my life within a couple hundred miles of my house and never feel like I'm missing a thing.

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:36 am

Thanks for the advice on the two different vests. Just purchased the Bucks Bag vest for the ol' man for x-mas, and was considering getting one for myself...but I will look into the initial attack vests. How is the bird loading in the rear. I have the Pella Bird-N-Lite vest now and I cant stand how small the hole is to load any dead birds. Especially when the covey of chukar are still getting up and you are waisting time trying to put birds away...urrggg. The attack vest looks great, but I was just curious on the bird loading. Thanks again.
Chris

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:12 pm

The bird storage area is very large. The holes are plenty big enough for chukar. The only thing you have to kind of get use to is the openings are higher than most vests because of the depth of the pocket.
Gary

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:28 am

I think the bird pouch is pretty good size...I hauled a 50# dog in mine once for two hours then carried him in to the vet in it.

I do think strap vests in general are a little tougher to load birds in than some of the vests or jackets that load from the front. We used to always just hang all our birds on rings we attached to each side of our vests but for some reason I don't do that anymore...my dad still does. I'm not even sure where to find those rings anymore...I think they're a waterfowler deal.

That Pella vest looks pretty nice to me but I can't tell if it has the lumbar belt system like the Bucks and Bagmaker - that's what really sells those vests for me.

NVgsp - what's the scoop on your dog? I know several Reno area pointer guys wondered where ya' got it. Brag it up a little!! :D

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:24 am

Oh man...here we go. My little pup in my avator is a shorthair...I know, I know, her tail. But the breeder I got her from loves a longer tail on his shorthairs, so I went along w/ it. She is a granddaughter to Tonellis Rising Sun. Her tail is more sickle shaped now and it bows right over her back. Looks funny on a gsp, but hey, I like it. Another thing that makes her more "pointer-ish" is her size in comparison to her tail. I'm pretty sure she only weighs about 25-30 lbs. Tiny little thing...makes that tail look that much longer. She is the second gsp that I have from this breeder

She just turned 12 months on Thanksgiving, so this is our first season together. Let me tell you, she is a chukar finding machine. She isnt staunch for very long but she will locate and you better be on you toes and in good shape to get to her. Each time out she just improves and improves. Beleive it or not I am actually looking forward for the season to end so we can get back into training and I can polish her up for next season.

Who in the Reno area is interested? I am not into triaing yet, but have thought about it for the future. Are these guys just chukar guys, or trialers?

Oh, and the Pella vest doesnt quite have the lumbar support that the bucks bag does. Its not bad, but I still wouldnt brag about it. I told my wife about the vest you recomended...you know, a little hint, hint for xmas. I really like the looks of it. heck, even if I dont get it for xmas I probably will buy it anyway. 8)
Chris

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:41 pm

Oh man...here we go. My little pup in my avator is a shorthair...I know, I know, her tail. But the breeder I got her from loves a longer tail on his shorthairs, so I went along w/ it. She is a granddaughter to Tonellis Rising Sun. Her tail is more sickle shaped now and it bows right over her back. Looks funny on a gsp, but hey, I like it.
LOL! Yah, some folks really leave the tails long - really makes me wonder why they dock them at all. Doesn't matter to me, the dog is still the same dog. I'm pretty sure alot of GSP's nowadays would have terribly sickled tails if they were full length and you could see them.

The guys I know in Reno are probably more avid trialers than hunters but do alot of their training on wild birds so sort of one and the same.

Tis the season for not so subtle hints and dog eared catalog pages left in conspicuous places. :D

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:43 pm

Would Grundmeyer be one of the guys you know? From what I understand he has accomplished quite a bit w/ his pointers. I have only talked w/ him over the phone...we were supposed to get together and train, but both my shorthairs went down for a couple weeks, so we never did meet up. A buddy of mine who is a pro up in Oregon, told me to look Steve up and see if I could train w/ him, since I train exclusively by myself, he would be a big help...still waiting for the season to end...

Question regarding the attack vest: is there a solid layer between the bird bag and your back? It looks like there is but it is limited and the rest is the mesh. That could kinda suck...finding out you have bird blood on the back of your shirt.
Chris

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:13 pm

No It has a layer of cordura between you and the birds. I have never had it bleed thru. Although the majority of the birds I get die from laughter as opposed to impact from pellets.
Hopefully this pic kind of shows you
Here is one of my points before one of my misses from the other day
At least I can kind of aim with my camera
Regards
Gary

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:58 pm

I've never had it bleed through to my shirt either but have had blood on my pants (rear). Most likely that's because my dogs chewed a hole in the bottom of my bird pouch and there are gaps in my duct tape repair job!

Very nice hunting pic Gary. It's hard to get those good pics then get the camera put up and gun ready before the birds bust. I like getting a good pic as much as a good shot at the birds anymore...the dogs, however, don't feel the same way.

I'm heading over tomorrow after work for Fri/Sat/Sun. I hope the rain hasn't made getting off the main roads impossible.

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:20 pm

It has rained a lot. I'm going out in the morning. They are calling for more moisture tomorrow night. The roads were fuzzy at best when I went Sunday. Some of the slopes were awful mucky. We need it to freeze, it's 45 right now. Clearing on sat and sun, lows in the teens. Maybe it will seize up enough to hunt the mornings this weekend.
Good Luck
Gary

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:10 am

Guys, those are some mighty fine and mouth watering pictures.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:14 am

Would Grundmeyer be one of the guys you know?
Yah, I know Steve. I've got a couple good Grundy stories but probably not for public consumption!
He's usually teamed up with Torben Hansen, another good guy that's very successful with his pointers - think he's got one qualified for the Nat'l Ch. this year. Another Reno area person that lives right near Torben, is Lori Steinshouer who has qualified and run a couple of her own pointers at Ames as well. Pretty impressive company right in your backyard down there. I think both Torben and Steve used to run GSP's years ago. They all come up this way and kick our rears every year.

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:33 am

Man, that is some impressive accomplishments between everyone you mentioned...lol, and I had no idea! I was thinking about calling Steve up and running some dogs w/ him this weekend... might be going to chase some quial up north near Winnemucca though.

Dont tell me that those pointers are beating that gorgeous shorthair Trixie in your avator. I showed my wife that pic and she fell in love w/ her too.
Chris