Edmond Sportsman Club/OKC Sportsman Club

Deets

Edmond Sportsman Club/OKC Sportsman Club

Post by Deets » Mon May 05, 2014 9:22 pm

Is anyone a member/former member? What are your thoughts about the club. Is it worthwhile if you are mainly a quail hunter. Oklahoma City Sportsman club is a simialar club that I would like some opinions on if anyone has experience.

USMC

Re: Edmond Sportsman Club/OKC Sportsman Club

Post by USMC » Thu May 15, 2014 5:50 pm

Does anyone know what is the membership cost?

Deets

Post by Deets » Fri May 16, 2014 2:00 pm

I think its like $1,500-$1,700 a year.

duckman8

Post by duckman8 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:56 pm

Sportsman's Hunting Club (Oklahoma)

It's year around hunting and fishing on all leases we have, some have camping areas. We abide by all Oklahoma Wildlife Department rules, regulations, and bag limits. We also have some leases that have cabins on them to where you and your family member hunters can stay at no extra cost. Some of our lease locations are near Atoka, Lindsey, Duncan, Jet, Buffalo, Maud, Harmon, Kingfisher, Arnett, Lacey, Manchester, Burlington, Elk City, Roosevelt, Fort Supply, and others.
We have good deer, turkey,waterfowl, hog/predator, quail, pheasant, and small game hunting. You being a member makes you,your wife, children under the age of 25 and grandkids under the age of 19. Dues for a family membership are $152.00 month. When you join there is a one time fee of 500.00 to cover your hunting badge and stock fee. We limit the number of hunters that can be on a lease at a time so we can manage the leases properly and not to over hunt the property. Leases for deer are 8 point outside the ears for mature deer only. Youth hunters aged 16 and under are allowed to harvest smaller bucks. There is no trapping or running dogs, except for bird hunting. Four wheelers are allowed to retrieve game, hang stands and feeders. Guest are allowed, except on opening weekend of turkey, smoke pole or rifle. We have an on line reservation system where you can book hunts up to 3 days at a time, two weeks out from the day you plan on hunting. Cabins are for use year around on the leases that have them. As far as owned properties, we have a big property that backs up to the Salt Plains National Wildlife refuge, it has 10 goose pits, 4 ponds, deer towers, a lodge and bunkhouse, planted food plots for deer and waterfowl, excellent crane, goose and duck hunting. We have a lease around Duncan that has a lot of ducks taken there, there is also a lease in Lindsey, Maude, Seminole, and when there is good water out west we have a lease that is one of the best waterfowl leases around. Hoping to get more rain out west this year. . You can also go to www.okcsportsmansclub.com and look at our web sight. You can call if you need more info or you can text your contact info to 405-740-6177 , and I can send more if needed.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Thu May 21, 2015 1:33 pm

I looked into it a couple years ago when I was primarily a deer and dove hunter and it was just more money than I was willing to spend for land I had to worry I wouldn't have access to hunt when I wanted to hunt.

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:22 am

GSP4ME wrote:I looked into it a couple years ago when I was primarily a deer and dove hunter and it was just more money than I was willing to spend for land I had to worry I wouldn't have access to hunt when I wanted to hunt.
I have been a member for many years. Never had a problem getting access to land. With access to anywhere from 50,000 to 80,000 acres of some great hunting land its quite inexpensive. Full year membership is less than one hunt some places

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:38 am

Kellym wrote:
GSP4ME wrote:I looked into it a couple years ago when I was primarily a deer and dove hunter and it was just more money than I was willing to spend for land I had to worry I wouldn't have access to hunt when I wanted to hunt.
I have been a member for many years. Never had a problem getting access to land. With access to anywhere from 50,000 to 80,000 acres of some great hunting land its quite inexpensive. Full year membership is less than one hunt some places
Which are you a member of?

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:09 am

Kellym wrote:

I worked with two guys who were both members of the OKC Sportsman club and both complained about access due to other members who had been members much longer, always getting the best spots. That's what I was told when I mentioned to them that I was thinking about joining. Again, that was when I was primarily a deer hunter and neither of those guys were upland hunters. It was enough to scare me off as I figure I don't need to pay money to run into the same problem I'd have hunting public land.

But you saying otherwise makes me think i should possibly look into it again as we just lost our lease in the woodward/Quinlan area.

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:41 pm

GSP4ME wrote:
Kellym wrote:

I worked with two guys who were both members of the OKC Sportsman club and both complained about access due to other members who had been members much longer, always getting the best spots. That's what I was told when I mentioned to them that I was thinking about joining. Again, that was when I was primarily a deer hunter and neither of those guys were upland hunters. It was enough to scare me off as I figure I don't need to pay money to run into the same problem I'd have hunting public land.

But you saying otherwise makes me think i should possibly look into it again as we just lost our lease in the woodward/Quinlan area.
length of time as a member has nothing to do with where you hunt. The club has an online scheduler and its firts come first serve. the only exception is opening weekend. For opening weekend there is a drawing. you put in your choice and its pulled out of a hat in a public meeting. If you get involved and volunteer for a few things you can earn points to be in a draw based on points very few people get in those draws so it doesn't make much impact. You can be the newest member of the club and decide to help post signs or man a booth at an outdoor show go to a couple of board meeting and you will be in the early draw with the other members that have decided to contribute to get points. your friends told you wrong.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:07 am

Thanks for clearing that up Kelly. Are any of the properties set aside for upland hunting only?

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:48 am

GSP4ME wrote:Thanks for clearing that up Kelly. Are any of the properties set aside for upland hunting only?
Yes we have over 20,000 acres in north Texas bird hunting only. We have 10,000 acres in the panhandle that is loaded with blue quail that is primarily bird hunting and we have land in Kansas that is feather only.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:20 pm

Kellym wrote:
GSP4ME wrote:Thanks for clearing that up Kelly. Are any of the properties set aside for upland hunting only?
Yes we have over 20,000 acres in north Texas bird hunting only. We have 10,000 acres in the panhandle that is loaded with blue quail that is primarily bird hunting and we have land in Kansas that is feather only.
Which club are you a member of?

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:24 pm

ACooper wrote:
Kellym wrote:
Which club are you a member of?
Edmond Sportsman Club

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:22 pm

How many members?

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:50 am

Approx 150 max

duckman8

Post by duckman8 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:22 am

Yea but Edmond Club don't tell you that you only able to hunt the bird leases about once a ,month. The Okc Sportsman Club there online reservation system allows everyone to have the same access to all leases, no one has any advantage over anyone else as of where to hunt. The reservation system is set up on first come first serve bases. We do limit number of hunters that can be on a lease per day for not to over hunt the property and for safety. I've spoke with a lot of land owners in NW Oklahoma and they will never lease to Edmond club again for the way they treat and handle there leases. I believe we stay about 140 member range and everyone has ample opportunity to hunt. Some of our leases are close to Oklahoma City to where you can go hunt and not have to drive all day to get there. Four wheeler's are allowed to hang stands feeders and to retrieve your game. You can bring guest but no guest are allowed on opening weekend of deer or turkey, just members only. Best of hunting

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:03 pm

duckman8 wrote:Yea but Edmond Club don't tell you that you only able to hunt the bird leases about once a ,month. The Okc Sportsman Club there online reservation system allows everyone to have the same access to all leases, no one has any advantage over anyone else as of where to hunt. The reservation system is set up on first come first serve bases. We do limit number of hunters that can be on a lease per day for not to over hunt the property and for safety. I've spoke with a lot of land owners in NW Oklahoma and they will never lease to Edmond club again for the way they treat and handle there leases. I believe we stay about 140 member range and everyone has ample opportunity to hunt. Some of our leases are close to Oklahoma City to where you can go hunt and not have to drive all day to get there. Four wheeler's are allowed to hang stands feeders and to retrieve your game. You can bring guest but no guest are allowed on opening weekend of deer or turkey, just members only. Best of hunting
Are you saying that the Edmond Sportsmans Club does not allow the same access to all memebers? I am interested in both clubs and am truly curious.

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:38 pm

ACooper wrote:
duckman8 wrote:Yea but Edmond Club don't tell you that you only able to hunt the bird leases about once a ,month. The Okc Sportsman Club there online reservation system allows everyone to have the same access to all leases, no one has any advantage over anyone else as of where to hunt. The reservation system is set up on first come first serve bases. We do limit number of hunters that can be on a lease per day for not to over hunt the property and for safety. I've spoke with a lot of land owners in NW Oklahoma and they will never lease to Edmond club again for the way they treat and handle there leases. I believe we stay about 140 member range and everyone has ample opportunity to hunt. Some of our leases are close to Oklahoma City to where you can go hunt and not have to drive all day to get there. Four wheeler's are allowed to hang stands feeders and to retrieve your game. You can bring guest but no guest are allowed on opening weekend of deer or turkey, just members only. Best of hunting
Are you saying that the Edmond Sportsmans Club does not allow the same access to all memebers? I am interested in both clubs and am truly curious.
Its true you can only hunt each lease once a month. Thats a good thing. Those retired guys that hunt all season cant go pound the same covey day after day. We also limit the number of hunters on a lease at any given time. The edmond club has enough good bird hunting land you wont run out of good places to hunt. Edmond has an online reservation system and it too is first come first serve. NO ONE has an advantage over anyone else as to where to hunt. Please if your going to knock a club get your facts straight. We have leased from the same land owners for many years. If a member does something to disrespect a land owners land the club does everything possible to make it right, first by contacting the member. Our rules are very clear on how to treat land owner property. I'm sure we have members that don't always follow the rules but I'm certain the OKC club has the same issues. We look for quality leases and if your from oklahoma you know you have to go west for good quail hunting. Ive been bird hunting in this state for 35 years, many years ago you could find quail anywhere in the state but now only out west can you find quail in good numbers. There may be a few exceptions but not many. I don't care which club someone decides to join, no doubt there are pros and cons to both clubs. But don't start making generic accusations you can't back up. Or statements about something you don't know. I won't say anything bad about the OKC club I just don't know much about it. I do know the edmond club and will be happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

duckman88

Post by duckman88 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:46 am

I'm not saying Edmond doesn't allow the same. I think both clubs have a lot to offer to any hunter. I know that I have talked with your hunt committee on different occasions, and asked several questions toward the club. And come to the conclusion that for the all- around hunter the Oklahoma Sportsman Club offers a more wider selection of hunting. This is my opinion but which ever club a person pic's I'm sure they will be fine.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:00 pm

Kellym wrote:
ACooper wrote:
Its true you can only hunt each lease once a month. Thats a good thing. Those retired guys that hunt all season cant go pound the same covey day after day. We also limit the number of hunters on a lease at any given time. The edmond club has enough good bird hunting land you wont run out of good places to hunt. Edmond has an online reservation system and it too is first come first serve. NO ONE has an advantage over anyone else as to where to hunt. Please if your going to knock a club get your facts straight. We have leased from the same land owners for many years. If a member does something to disrespect a land owners land the club does everything possible to make it right, first by contacting the member. Our rules are very clear on how to treat land owner property. I'm sure we have members that don't always follow the rules but I'm certain the OKC club has the same issues. We look for quality leases and if your from oklahoma you know you have to go west for good quail hunting. Ive been bird hunting in this state for 35 years, many years ago you could find quail anywhere in the state but now only out west can you find quail in good numbers. There may be a few exceptions but not many. I don't care which club someone decides to join, no doubt there are pros and cons to both clubs. But don't start making generic accusations you can't back up. Or statements about something you don't know. I won't say anything bad about the OKC club I just don't know much about it. I do know the edmond club and will be happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Well that's a deal breaker. And while you say it's a good thing bc it keeps the guy with more free time from wearing out a spot while those of us who primarily rely on weekends to get our hunting in. It actually penalizes us by not allowing us hunt property we are familiar with since you basically only get 3 hunts per season off of each property. Having to learn new property every time you go out gets old. Maybe instead of limiting the days on a particular lease, you could limit the number of birds a fella can take from a given property. Oh heck, look at me already trying to change the rules for a club I'm not even a member of. I guess if it works for yall, keep after it.

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:46 pm

I respect that. I felt the same way at first. Once I hunted all the different leases I learned it was a good rule. As I said pros and cons for everyone you should do what's best for you

RandyinGila

Post by RandyinGila » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:13 pm

Thanks for information provided. After reading Above I have a follow up question. Are the leases in Texas for upland bird hunting bobwhite area versus blues. I understand they often occur together but some areas are better for one than the other.

Thank you, also great concept.

Randy