ohio public land

onuhunter02

ohio public land

Post by onuhunter02 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:57 am

Has anyone had any luck hunting birds around ironton and Portsmouth ohio on public land?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: ohio public land

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:45 am

I use to hunt Grouse in those areas yrs ago before I got TOO broke down.It was tough but could find a few birds if you could hunt hard.Haven't been for yrs so can't say how it is now.

Brian Smith

Post by Brian Smith » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:07 pm

A buddy of mine was invited to a deer camp a few years ago and invited me along. The fellas said while deer hunting they would see what they thought were grouse, but they had never hunted them. We brought the dogs down and spent the better part of the day tramping the hills in what looked like promising timber. We had two turkeys pointed mid morning and in the afternoon one of the boys went on point in front of our host. He couldn't figure out why the dog wasn't moving a muscle, sure enough a grouse towers up from the pines and he gets his first grouse ever.
This was land below I-70 just east of I-77.
I think you could find more birds in this quadrant of the state if you did your homework, but you'll wear out a lot of boot leather doing it.
Smitty

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:32 pm

There are grouse in Shawnee Forest which is just west of Portsmouth,if you can walk & hunt for Hrs you can find a few pockets decent enough to hunt.You can hear them drumming during turkey season in the spring & flush a few same as in deer season in the fall.They are doing quite a bit of select cut areas through out the forest that should help out some it is not an easy hunt but if you can handle it can put a few birds in the bag.
I really miss not being able to do it but I can no longer handle hunting on level open fields for very long any more,all you young guys need to take advantage of your good health & physical abilities while you have it because you never know
what the future might hold for you.I NEVER thought I would be in such bad shape that I couldn't hunt for a few hrs a day.I use to hunt by myself a lot because people couldn't keep up with me,the ones that did go with me usually drove their own vehicles so they could quit & leave when they were ready.The few that did go with me would usually be asleep in the truck waiting on me when I was finished.

ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN!! :wink: