Layout blind

Double Shot Banks

Layout blind

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Long time no see huh?
looking to buy a layout blind, heard good things about the avery finisher. Looking to field hunt geese and also lay in it on the banks of some small ponds and really anywhere so waterproof is a factor. Not sure how the cabelas blinds are but they are cheaper.
Any opinions?
Thanks,
Isaac
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

sdsujacks

Re: Layout blind

Post by sdsujacks » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:50 am

I have nothing to contribute to the layout blind discussion. But welcome back, was wondering where you went and how the training was going. Being a native Iowan from a small town near yours, a lab guy, and seeing a kid take big interest and pride in your new dog, I enjoyed seeing all of your posts.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Banks is doing great, his first season he improved so much from hunt to hunt its unbelievable i could never have dreamed to have a dog that good a hunting and that well trained when i firs wanted him.
I always tell people who are amazed that i alone trained him and hes my firs dog "I think most of the training was done by him! I learned so much more than he did and he did half the work in training himself as well"
heres a picture of Banks and our newest dog Zena who my dad got after the loss of his black lab Zowie. Shes coming along well but i have to say my dad has been lazy and will be jealous of Banks on the days hes out here with us :)
Thanks for showing interest,
Isaac and Banks (And Zena)

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:31 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:heres a picture of Banks and our newest dog Zena who my dad got after the loss of his black lab Zowie. Shes coming along well but i have to say my dad has been lazy and will be jealous of Banks on the days hes out here with us :)
I am running into that same problem with my old man and his new pup. I'm half tempted to take the pup from him for a few months. We do most of our hunting together and I want another good dog in the field with mine, not one that he's always yelling at to control.

USMC

Post by USMC » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:27 pm

Back in the day when I use to hunt a lot for geese!

I preferred Final Approach... Not a fan of Avery quality...

Stay thirsty my friends!

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:03 am

sdsujacks wrote: I am running into that same problem with my old man and his new pup. I'm half tempted to take the pup from him for a few months. We do most of our hunting together and I want another good dog in the field with mine, not one that he's always yelling at to control.
Yep! I keep telling him the dog needs to get on birds and he hasen' even started gun conditioning. I think he'll see it when we take her duck hunting instead of banks, hopefully it doesnt get that far!

And as far as the blind im probably going to see them in-store just to try them out, i love internet shopping but you can only do so much!
Thanks,
Isaac and Banks

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:24 pm

Just make him lay right along side the blind. You don't need a blind. If you think it helps, throw a piece of leafy camp over him and tie one end to the blind. You can also stake him alongside the blind. I have never felt the need for a dog blind.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.