Good areas in Southern California?

benelli

Good areas in Southern California?

Post by benelli » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:10 pm

We want to make sure we actually take the dog out hunting this season, but even though we've gotten a decent handle on the training side of things, we have no idea where to look for quail. We've actually recently come across a few within walking distance of our house, which is great for the dog to start figuring things out, but it's not in a hunting area, and it was purely accidental that we came across quail there.

We're in the Mojave desert, about 45 minutes north of Lancaster. Tehachapi is close (about 45 minutes away), but I don't know if that's any good. My parents live in Chino, and they'd be convenient babysitters, so places within an hour or two of Chino would be ideal.

Anybody have any advice or ideas?

blanked

Re: Good areas in Southern California?

Post by blanked » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:12 pm

Look for the same habitat you found those birds in. Scout the areas from your truck before you start hunting your dogs

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:20 pm

benelli wrote:We want to make sure we actually take the dog out hunting this season, but even though we've gotten a decent handle on the training side of things, we have no idea where to look for quail. We've actually recently come across a few within walking distance of our house, which is great for the dog to start figuring things out, but it's not in a hunting area, and it was purely accidental that we came across quail there.

We're in the Mojave desert, about 45 minutes north of Lancaster. Tehachapi is close (about 45 minutes away), but I don't know if that's any good. My parents live in Chino, and they'd be convenient babysitters, so places within an hour or two of Chino would be ideal.

Anybody have any advice or ideas?

We had a lot of success around Tehachapi. You can forget the Chino area unless you want to go to Prado and plant birds.... Still better than nothing. How far are you from Red Mountain?

benelli

Post by benelli » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:55 pm

Red Mountain is up on 395, right? We're about an hour from there. We headed out that way once about a year ago (not to hunt, just to let the dog run and see what we could find), but we had no idea what we were doing and the dog took off and lost track of us, and we didn't see any birds. Not sure if we were in the right area or not.

Good to know about Tehachapi; any specific areas? Out in the mountains surrounding Tehachapi, or do you ask the people who own fields?

Escopeton

Post by Escopeton » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:31 am

Years ago, my mother lived in Victorville. There used to be birds in the NE foothills of the Big Bear but I suppose now that is all urbanized. Salton Sea used to have pheasants and some quail as did the Colorado River. When I bowhunted there, further north in Santa Maria area, I used to see quail all over. Now when I go to S. CA., I hardly recognize anything due to the expansion of people. You may be better served to head into AZ., for your hunting.
Living large in the Southwest.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:31 pm

benelli wrote:Red Mountain is up on 395, right? We're about an hour from there. We headed out that way once about a year ago (not to hunt, just to let the dog run and see what we could find), but we had no idea what we were doing and the dog took off and lost track of us, and we didn't see any birds. Not sure if we were in the right area or not.

Good to know about Tehachapi; any specific areas? Out in the mountains surrounding Tehachapi, or do you ask the people who own fields?
Yep up 395, there are Chukar around Red Mountain. Its not an easy hunt but it is fun. You should also look into summer camp @ Big Bear..I know it doesn't help for this season but it is a great camping and training experience. Let me know if your interested for next summer.

I will do some searching to help with Tehachapi access. Maybe PM Brad to see if he can help.

TonyS

Post by TonyS » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:41 am

Going to really hard to find much in the way of birds again this season. Last season I took my pup to go check a chukar covey. They were still there but boy was my dog po'd when I wouldn't shoot any for him. On the way back he wouldn't walk with me for almost a mile.

Look at areas where you have seen birds in the past and look for new hatch. If there is new hatch I would consider hunting the area. No sense in killing everything off.