Arlington South Dakota

dugger13

Arlington South Dakota

Post by dugger13 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:02 am

I have the opportuntiy to go to Arlington and hunt pheasants on my own on private land. Anyone ever been there? I am also thinking about getting a duck license and jumping some of the water holes i see on google map. Can someone with some experience in that area reply or send me a PM if prefered. i have access to around 3000 acres but have not been there, and have only a farmer for a contact in that area. thanks

MSU Aggie

Re: Arlington South Dakota

Post by MSU Aggie » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:13 am

You are in for some really good hunting. Personally I would wait until the second or third weekend of the season to hunt. The crops are looking to be about 2 weeks behind so it will be a later harvest, and with standing crops the birds are fairly spread out. This sounds like row crop fields just by the amount of acres, so i would focus on the waterways, tree groves, fence lines, and any where there might be cover. As for waterfowl it is a good area, get the hunting atlas from the South Dakota GFP website. Alot of those ponds are private and getting permission can be tough. Most important thing is have fun.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:04 pm

I'm thinking you have to be in a drawing for a nonresident waterfowl license, which is held in the early summer. Can,t imagine why since there are snow geese every where in November............................Cj

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:15 pm

didn't know about the drawing issue. Think that ship has sailed then

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:20 pm

That's a very good area, I hunted it for several years before moving further West. You WON'T believe the numbers of waterfowl if you're there in November, the first to second week. Unreal. I am really envious; 3000 acres of private land......WOW! Enjoy. SD is as close as a bird hunter can get to Heaven. You'll see pheasant, sharpies and huns. HAVE A GREAT HUNT!!
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:17 pm

Yes you have to draw for nonresident waterfowl. Normally there are leftover licenses, but this year they reduced the number of licenses and there are no leftovers. Still great upland hunting

Vman

Post by Vman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:06 am

Good area but last year the pheasants were very spotty and hunters really struggled in the area. This year should be better. If you are Moteling the Pheasant Motel is good. Breakfast down at Lake Poinsett. Supper at Bull Pen in Lake Norden. Don`t expect Sharpies or Huns. Ducks in the Thousands on Poinsett,and Dry Lake. Very nice area. Good Luck!

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Supper at 1481 Grille.

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:09 am

thanks all for the info. I wish waterfowling was in the cards, but still should be a good time. I am in for a treat i think

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Definitely do it, I lived about 20 miles away in Brookings while attending college and that area is under rated in pheasant hunting IMO. 3,000 acres is probably a lot of row crops like somebody else mentioned, which those themselves probably won't hold a ton. But the waterways, fences, tree lines, ditches, etc. should all be pretty good! Private land cattails are the best! There's also a lot of pretty good amount of public land in that area too. I would wait until early November probably, since it is a large amount of private land it probably won't be pressured too much and the crops will be out. Unfortunately you missed the lottery for waterfowl, because that too is as good of an area as you could possibly get for it.

Like Nike said, 1481 Grill is one of my favorite restaurants!

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:23 am

I have a friend that farms near Brookings, he said they are seeing young birds for the first time in any number since 2010. That said, after so many down years and losing so much CRP, numbers are not great.

But heck, with 3000 acres to hunt I would go in a heartbeat! Definitely wait until the crops are cut.....