Looking for a new duck gun

Wa Chukar Hunter

Looking for a new duck gun

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:28 am

Well, after lots of years not duck hunting or training retrievers - I finally broke down and got a new puppy - over the years multiple moves I have lost equipment and I am in the process of buying new equipment

I have a few shot guns - but they are not non-toxic capable (Model 1912, Grulla 216, and Model 1100) I have considered getting a barrel for my 1100 but it was my dads gun and it is only capable of shooting 2 3/4 shells and would like a gun capable of shooting 3" shells

I kinda like the new synthetic camo models available

I am thinking hard on two guns

Benelli SBE II in Realtree Max-4

Franchi Affinity in Realtree Max-4

There are features on the SBE I like (like a left handed model) but I am not sure I even need a 3 1/2" capable gun - Retails for around $1900

Franchi is 3" and as far as I can tell does not come in LH - retails around $950

Recommendations?
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

GrayDawg

Re: Looking for a new duck gun

Post by GrayDawg » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:48 am

Look no further than a Benelli Super Black Eagle w/composite stock.
The last duck gun you will ever own.
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

magspa

Post by magspa » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:14 am

the M2 is the 3" version for benelli and i believe it also comes in LH. I am lefthanded and have the satin wood and matte black M2. it is right handed chamber which i like so i can put a shell right in the chamber with my right hand. the right ejection doesnt bother me. Plus the safeties are reversible on all benellis and the shims can be switched for cast on or off.

bdu

Post by bdu » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:38 am

the sbe2 is a good gun and i know several people with them that are happy with it, i had the chance to use a berreta a400 EXTREMA UNICO this spring for some show goose hunting and i was really impressed with the gun. it rrtails around $1600.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:58 pm

Remington 870 Mag with a synthetic camo stock. Indestructible.

RichK

Post by RichK » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:03 pm

Beretta A400, best gun on the market.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:07 pm

Unless you are going to shoot bismuth or the other high priced shells and you are serious about it, you need 3 1/2". I have the Browning Gold, I like the gas operation. But the SBE 2 is a very good gun, and with its new system,felt recoil is about the same.

They are all good, I just think the SBE better.

bdu

Post by bdu » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:44 am

i kill plenty of birds with 3" kent fast steel. i do recomend no matter what gun you get, buy a drake killer choke tube www.drakekiller.com ive shot follies, pattern masters and the drake killers really work best in my opinion, and when you buy one he gives you a list of what combination brand/shot combos will pattern best out of your gun.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:57 pm

I like to buy American made. I hunt out of boat and guns get beat up. I was going for either the Remington versa max or the Mossberg 930. I went with the 930 mainly because it was quite a bit cheaper than the Remington. the 935 is the same gun but shoots 3.5" shells which I don't. It has done well and I shoot it well, both guns have all of the pitch adjustments to help with fit. After 5 years it did give me a problem dove hunting this year but it was my fault. After last season I did not clean the gas seal (very easy to clean) and it was not feeding correctly. Found out on opening day of dove season. cleaned the gas seal and shot the rest of dove season.
Take Care
Pete

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:01 pm

Beretta A400 if new
Beretta Xtreme or Xtreme 2 if looking used.

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:49 am

Did I mention I am left handed? Although I have shot a right handed automatic for years - given the ability to have a left handed gun is a better option
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

USMC

Post by USMC » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:12 pm

Anything with a "B"

Benelli= M1 , M2, SBE
Beretta=Extrema2 or the latest version
Browning = all of them...

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:07 am

bdu wrote:i kill plenty of birds with 3" kent fast steel.
Neil wrote:Unless you are going to shoot bismuth or the other high priced shells and you are serious about it, you need 3 1/2".
I shoot 2 3/4" steel hand loads with an 1 1/8 oz load of #3 shot. I kill plenty of ducks and even some geese each year with that load. I also use an IC choke most of the time. I just take my shots at under 30 yds and put most of my hunting effort into good decoy sets and calling.

Springer

Post by Springer » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:48 pm

I really like my Affinity and I do think I have seen a left handed version in the stores. They are selling here for $799.
Kevin