Appalachian Ruffed Grouse........ it's time!!!!

ridgerunner

Post by ridgerunner » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:02 am

The season starts a week from today here in East Tn...... I look forward to everybody's adventures from down here in the Southern Appalachians!!!...... I've had the dogs in the woods a few times..... I'm ready !!

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:42 pm

I should have had the family plan vacation around grouse season instead of Labor Day! It was a mess that weekend down near gatlinburg

zjohn14

Post by zjohn14 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:57 pm

Anyone from the Appalachian Mtns have any luck today?

nchunter2

Re: Appalachian Ruffed Grouse........ it's time!!!!

Post by nchunter2 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:25 pm

Went yesterday with a friend near the Nolichucky River in NC. Flushed 3. 1 shot....knew I wasn't going to hit it. With all the leaves up, you've got a nanosecond to aquire the target and shoot. Walked around 6 miles- 3 up and 3 straight down...It's good to be sore today! My WPG and my buddy's ES both ran good!

ridgerunner

Post by ridgerunner » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:02 am

I have took the gun yet..... Hope to next week..... have moved a few birds!!!!!...... food is everywhere!!

zjohn14

Post by zjohn14 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:25 am

Anyone that has good pointers an wouldn't mind my dog tagging along hoping it might help my dog become better grouse hunter an would like to come hunt hundreds of arces of private land that no one besides myself few times has grouse hunted what so ever to my knowledge. I'm in Avery county nc which is the highest county in elevation east of Mississippi I also have access to remote hard to reach game lands on the nc/tn state line that has never been grouse hunted because private land that is posted an I can also huntthe posted land that borders it, I believe we should have good luck I have four wheelers an family with side by sides that we can use. Pm if interested an can discuss more about the land an anything else.

ridgerunner

Post by ridgerunner » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:54 am

Big front rolling in this weekend ..... hopefully it will knock down a lot of leaves and better conditions will prevail!!

ridgerunner

Post by ridgerunner » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:14 pm

Has everybody quit hunting in the So. Apps???

Pleasant Ridge

Post by Pleasant Ridge » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:00 pm

ridgerunner wrote:Has everybody quit hunting in the So. Apps???
Nope but looks like the birds are quittin' us... Not many birds left in these parts..

setternewbie

Post by setternewbie » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:33 am

The birds are around...you just have to work for them. This is my third season with my 2 1/2 yr old setter. As all dog guys know, unless you live in Michigan, Maine, or somewhere out west with high populations of wild birds, A LOT of work and A LOT of pen raised birds mixed with as many wild bird encounters as you can beg borrow or steal is the only way to make a bird dog. We consistently find birds every time I go out. Not a lot of good shots as covers holding them are typically unbelievably thick. They don't allow any cutting on the National Forests where I hunt here in Virginia. The best way to find them is to find some of the old clearcuts made for deer hunters or ancient skidder roads. Anywhere the cover is right you will find them. It makes for a lot of searching, but when you do hit a spot, it is likely to hold quite a few birds.

zjohn14

Post by zjohn14 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:27 am

Anybody free today or this week that wants to grouse hunt in Avery county