A couple good days on the Macy rez

deseeker

A couple good days on the Macy rez

Post by deseeker » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:00 pm

There seems to be about double the birds on the Macy NE. Indian reservation this year. Not as good as it was 6 or 7 years ago, but a lot better than last year :D Season opened on Oct 22nd and I've managed to bag 10 birds in 6 days of hunting(I can only hunt 1/2 days any more--that's about all my knees will take :roll: ) I've attached a picture of "Shooter" with my 3 birds from yesterday and "Star" with my 2 birds I got this morning. Man, I love phez hunting--it's a tough hunt, but I love the dog work. I hope I can work in a ND hunt like I have the past 4 years---hills aren't as steep as around here, cover is shorter, & there are a lot more birds to chase(Bowman area) :D
shooter, star -- Rez 2014 003.JPG
Star --Rez 10-29-14 003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deseeker

Re: A couple good days on the Macy rez

Post by deseeker » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:01 am

I had another good day on the Macy rez this morning with Star. Star had her 3 birds in a hour. I even hit a right/left double (accidents happen :lol: )
Star 11-4-14 Macy Rez 003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Sound like you are having a great season! I hope I can say the same when quail season comes in here in SC.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:17 pm

Nice job Doug, looks like you've been having a good time and that's what it's all about.

Nick

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:02 pm

nhachman wrote:Nice job Doug, looks like you've been having a good time and that's what it's all about.

Nick
I've been having a great time & the dogs enjoy it even more than I do :!: Looks like you've been doing okay on SD phez and MO. quail :D

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:49 pm

Not so good today on the rez. I got bird # 17 today :D but Shooter got SKUNKED :evil: . I de-skunked him and headed for home. By the way, hydrogen peroxide(1 qt,), baking soda(1/2 cup), and Dawn dish washing soap(3 tbl spoons) work real well for de-skunking a dog. Mix it together right before use---don't get in dog's eyes---rub it in coat, let sit for 5 min and wash out with water. Repeat if needed.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:18 pm

Knock on wood, I have not had a dog get skunked yet but many in our group did this year. I found myself within a few feet of one that had taken aim on me, but I immediately turned around and got out of Dodge before it decided to let loose.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:05 pm

The Macy rez has been very good to me this year. I normally only get around 15 a year off it and this year I have 28 roosters in 17(1/2 day) days of hunting-- with still 2 more months of season left. I'm not normally a bird counter but the rez makes you keep track of the days hunted and number of birds taken if you want to continue receiving a lic. Here's a happy and tired Shooter with 2 birds from today's hunt out of real heavy CRP. :D
Shooter off rez 11-20-14 002.JPG

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:08 pm

rez--Dec5 2014 002.JPG
We had another good day on the rez---temperature, wind, & weather was good & the birds held. We got 5 in 3 hours of hunting :D and saw about 6 more roosters that were spooky. Here's Mark with his dog, "Jordi"(setter) and my dog "Star"(britt). The best news is we still have a month and a half of season left to run dogs. :D :D :D

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:23 pm

rez 1-15-15 003.JPG
Mark, Jordi(setter), Penny4(britt), & I took advantage of a warmer day and hunted the rez. We saw a lot of tracks, and about 25 hens & roosters. We had 3 roosters over points and got all three. :D There is a week of season left up there, I hope I can get in a couple more days. We have had a really good year off the rez this year--the 3 of us that hunt up there have 61 roosters so far( we normally have around 25).

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Nice. I wish MN had even one more week to the season

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:32 pm

rez hunt 1-18-15 005.JPG
Another good day of seeing birds, but we shot pretty POOR :oops: . We should of had 5 roosters and ended up with 2. But the dog work was great---too bad they can't shoot for us :roll: :!:

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:56 pm

Well the season on the rez ended today. We saw about 20 birds this morning and picked up 2 more roosters for the total. Mark's setter had a couple great hen points this morning and a good retrieve on a rooster. The 3 of us that hunted the rez this year ended with 66 roosters :D :D :D (about 2 1/2 times more then usual). It was a GREAT year for us. It's now time to get the dogs back to steady to wing, shot, & fall for our upcoming hunt tests. Oh well it is only 9 more months until the season on the rez opens again :roll: :roll: I hope everyone else had a good year :!: :!: I also hope everyone shot better than we did :lol:

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Terrific pics and a terrific season...kudos and congratulations. Handsome dogs you've got.

I'm picking up my orange belton llewellin puppy the day after tomorrow!

Markhow1669

Post by Markhow1669 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Hunting up on the rest has been fun and a great learning adventure with the weather conditions all over the board and the ground conditions it has been a test to pheasant hunt. If you don't shoot them dead they bury themselves and it's hard for the dogs to find. But been great fun and I will do it again next year.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:51 am

Seeker, do you have to pay each time you hunt there or obtain some special permit?

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:26 pm

MNTonester wrote:Seeker, do you have to pay each time you hunt there or obtain some special permit?
MNTonester PM sent