Looking for some opinions

coff20

Looking for some opinions

Post by coff20 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:05 pm

Hi there, I've been a lurker for a little while now so this is my first post. I am currently going to college in eastern Oregon, but due to some budget cuts the school is cutting a number of classes that I was planning on taking and narrowing the program I am a part of. With that in mind, I am probably going to transfer to a different school at the end of this year. The two schools I've really been looking at are in Pocatello, Idaho and Dillon, Montana. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience hunting in those areas and if they would be willing to share what it's like. Obviously the upland hunting isn't the final deciding factor here, but it's definitely something I considered when I chose to move to eastern Oregon for school and it still is something I'm taking into consideration now. Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks.
"Let no man be ashamed to kneel here in the great out-of-doors. Remember the woods were God's first temples." Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

"There's nothin' better than a boy and his dog just out travelin' 'round the backcountry" -Some Old Hippie

UglyD

Re: Looking for some opinions

Post by UglyD » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:43 am

Pokie- has Sharptails- Pheasants and huns possibly some chukar hunting but I have never done that in that area. - least that is what I hunt in that area. The fishing is very good also- you are within an hour or so of a lot of outdoors. So East Idaho is a very nice place.
Now the town of Pocatello is another story- but it has gotten better over the years. Dillon I only know about the fishing.

coff20

Post by coff20 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks for the reply. Is Pocatello not a nice town to live in? Are there pheasants and huns on public land or will I need to try and meet land owners?

Fishing is definitely a plus I have enjoyed the trout and steelhead fishing out here in eastern Oregon.
"Let no man be ashamed to kneel here in the great out-of-doors. Remember the woods were God's first temples." Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

"There's nothin' better than a boy and his dog just out travelin' 'round the backcountry" -Some Old Hippie

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:41 pm

UglyD wrote:Pokie- has Sharptails- Pheasants and huns possibly some chukar hunting but I have never done that in that area. - least that is what I hunt in that area. The fishing is very good also- you are within an hour or so of a lot of outdoors. So East Idaho is a very nice place.
Now the town of Pocatello is another story- but it has gotten better over the years. Dillon I only know about the fishing.
Pocy also has some very good waterfowl.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:39 pm

Poky's good, Dillon's good - couldn't go wrong in either as far as enjoying the great outdoors. That said, being an old curmudgeon that's big on education, I gotta say when you are talking education you prioritize and pick the best school you can get into first, lifestyle later - the one is the means to the other.
Pokie- has Sharptails- Pheasants and huns possibly some chukar hunting but I have never done that in that area
We've got a few of a lot of different species of game birds, I can look out my door and see places where we've pointed 7 species of birds, not alot of anything in particular, sometimes nothing...it's a box of chocolates. :wink:

coff20

Post by coff20 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:40 am

I definitely appreciate the variety of bird species out here in eastern Oregon, so if it's like that over in Pocatello that's a major plus.

DGFavor, I can understand what you're saying about the importance of education. Getting into either of these schools is not a problem for me, though. Could I get into an even better school, as well? Yeah, no doubt. However, in the long run I think one of these two schools will suit my needs better. Coming out of highschool a few years back I had a 3.9 GPA and I scored 1980 on the SAT (90th percentile in the U.S.). I had friends with similar grades and test scores who went straight to schools like UCLA, Berkeley, Boston College, etc. Not Ivy league schools, but still very well regarded institutions. I, on the other hand, opted to take a gap year. I got job and spent my time working, building a wood-canvas canoe, and trying to figure out what to do with myself. As much as I hated the thought of it, I knew in the long run I needed to go to college and I decided I wanted to become a wildlife biologist. That's how I ended up at Eastern Oregon University. To be honest, it's not a very good school at all. However, it puts me right in the middle of what I want to do later in life. I've been able to take classes that involve field work and that expose me to some aspects of my future career. Both of the schools I'm looking at now are going to provide me with that same opportunity even if they aren't the best colleges I could get into. The trouble is, I just find school to be such a drag. I know I need it, but I just can't help but see it as a chore I have to get done so I can do what I want to do later in life. I don't think I would be able to keep up with school if I didn't have to opportunity to step out into the open country and clear my mind like I can out here in eastern Oregon. Sorry about the long explanation, you probably didn't need to hear my life story, haha, but I just thought I should give a little bit more background information.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and reply guys. I appreciate it very much.

coff20

Post by coff20 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:25 am

P.S. I really hope I don't sound like a pretentious 20 something year-old. I'm more or less just a bum trying to figure out where my life is going and trying to keep my head above water as I face new challenges and learn new things each and every day.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:09 pm

I live north of Pokie and it would be my pick. Ruffies blues,sharptail, huns. All on public land. Valley quail and chukars within 100 miles.Pheasants on WMA's and to the east. Good waterfowl, great fishing and ISU has some great programs. And I think Pokie would be a nice town to live in.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:48 pm

I believe you will like the standard of living in Poky and also Dillon. If you like the great outdoors, then both will give you that. The college in Poky has low tuition compare to other colleges in the region. If you like small cities, then by all means check it out. :)

Vision

Post by Vision » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Coff20

It's hard to trust a guy's opinion that lives in a place called Paradise, everything is bad once you leave Paradise. I have family in Pokie and it is a fine place. If I could convince the wife to move there I would in a heart beat. Living near DGFavor is almost as cool as living in Paradise. :D

My avatar pic was taken on sharptail mountain which is close to Pocatello

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:33 pm

OF course for most people that have lived in Utah, it easy hard to believe there is any Paradise there :D

dualsetter

Post by dualsetter » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:04 am

Poke is sweet...pm sent.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:18 am

Why don't you consider the U. of Idaho? Excellant wildlife program, great bird hunting (able to hunt 5 species in an afternoon) and good fishing. I'm a Vandal with a wildlife and fisheries degree I got there 40 years ago and the bird hunting has just gotten better. Another plus is the cross over relation with Washington State Univ. (9 miles away) that lets you take some classes on their campus without paying out of state tuition.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:15 am

DItto, Vandal alumni myself - born and raised there, family still up there, still home I dare to say after all these years away. Much, much cooler college experience as well than you'll find in Pokie - work hard, play hard is the theme. :wink: Pokie is just a bunch of curmudgeons like me that'll chew you out for hunting "our" fields and fishin' "our" spots!! :lol: :lol:

coff20

Post by coff20 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your input.

Fishvik and DGFavor, I am looking at the U. of Idaho, but it costs a good deal more, so it's a little bit lower on my list than the other schools. I'll still probably apply there, but unless they give me some scholarship options I probably won't choose to attend there.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Coff, If you do go to U of I, I would mention DG as a reference but I think I still have a few warrents out, though I think the statute of limitations has expired :D :D . Good school, good town, great area and a lot of fun. Good luck and its good to hear that there are still wildlife and fisheries students that like to hunt and fish.

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:03 pm

coff20 wrote:P.S. I really hope I don't sound like a pretentious 20 something year-old. I'm more or less just a bum trying to figure out where my life is going and trying to keep my head above water as I face new challenges and learn new things each and every day.
I think you will do fine. Even when we are in our sixties we experience the same think you are experiencing now. Change and challenge is good. :)
By the way...the locals here say Poky. Just saying. That is like saying it is minus 5 degrees instead of 5 below zero. One more note for you, this area is very conservative in nature. Our recent elections in November proved that. :)
Good luck on your decision and adventure in life.

coff20

Post by coff20 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:58 pm

Thanks Fishvik, I'll keep that in mind.

Pepper, thanks for the heads up about "poky" and "5 below zero." Last week over here in eastern Oregon we had some below zero weather and now that you mention it, I was saying minus whatever degrees which probably sounded funny to people who are used to this kind of weather. As for it being conservative, that's alright with me. I was raised in a conservative lutheran household, so I personally have largely conservative beliefs anyways. Thanks for the words of wisdom and advice.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:50 pm

Moscow Idaho- actually had a scholarship there and turned it down- being from Ohio I had no clue about it- Went to Oregon left after a few weeks and ended up at Utah State- probably would have been very happy in Moscow. Pokie at that time ( 70's) was not the town it has grown to- And I do live in Paradise now - me a 921 others - pretty sure they are counting mules etc to get to that number. -