Maine 2014

bert01

Maine 2014

Post by bert01 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:27 am

It's been 3 years since our last trip beyond 3 hour jaunts to northern PA. Got a chance to get away for a few days and decided to go back to a familiar place near Jackman. The last time we were in Maine, my brit (now 7) was a 2 year old pup and her owner not much older in grouse hunting years. We did a lot of walking and didnt get into many grouse. After 3 days of miserable weather the sun broke and woodcock were plentiful. And so began our fondness of the north woods. Now 5 years later, with a little gray around the muzzle and less on my head, we decided to get back before too many years get ahead of us. I failed, as i have in the past, to get us both in shape, so after the first day we both paid dearly.

All in all we moved over 40 birds, shots were few and number of birds down even fewer. Spending those three days with my dad and aging pup were worth every minute. I also recognized for the first time, the need for a second dog. As Lady gets older, i reflect on the short life our dogs are entitled and lament. But i intend to make the trek out west at least once more and get back to Maine to enjoy the north country as we did on our first trip together.

Rob

dualsetter

Re: Maine 2014

Post by dualsetter » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:52 am

Rob,
Nice photos, looks like you enjoyed a wonderful hunt in a special place with family and Lady! Jackman is one heck of a place to cut your grouse teeth with a young pup.I couldn't agree with you more... "Spending those three days with my dad and aging pup were worth every minute." Glad you made it back up. Thanks for sharing your memories with us.
Cheers!

David

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Maine 2014

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:43 am

Rob,

Nice report from my kind of hunter. In my opinion, you have your priorities set right.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.