Branched Oak Hunt

deseeker

Branched Oak Hunt

Post by deseeker » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:42 pm

My buddy from GA. and I hunted Branched Oak by Lincoln this morning. The game & parks released pheasants for Thanksgiving week end. We survived and didn't get shot--there were a lot of people out. We had chances at 6 roosters---and knocked 5 of the 6 down. I guess we were lucky. We had a group of 10 SPORTS hunting next to us and they shot 30+ shells and didn't have one bird to show for it---I was a little nervous hunting around them as they were taking shots every which direction. :roll: I don't think I'll go back next year for a release hunt---not worth the risk :!: We did get some good dog work though :D
Branched Oak '14 Thanksgiving 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Branched Oak Hunt

Post by topher40 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:09 pm

Glad you made it out alive, you couldnt pay me enough money to hunt that place. Surprised they put birds out since there has been a trial there every weekend since Sept!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

RYNO

Re: Branched Oak Hunt

Post by RYNO » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:32 am

The field trial grounds are only a small percentage of the land out there. I was out there this morning also, but stayed away from the area they release the birds. Dropped the only rooster I had a shot at but he must of hit the ground running, never did find it.. :(

Those releases kind of suck IMO, before season I find plenty of wild birds while running my dog then they dump a bunch dumb birds there and a hundreds of people show up and blast everything around. Next week there won't be but maybe one or two groups hunting that entire area compared to the dozens of trucks today. Luckily I've found a few other areas that have some birds.