Upland starter

StrAp44

Upland starter

Post by StrAp44 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:59 pm

Relatively new to pheasant hunting, been figuring it out for a couple seasons now. My question is about hunting standing corn. The game lands where I hunt (in PA), keep rows of standing corn up a majority of the season and dont begin cutting it until bear and deer season. My dog (mostly just a house pet) wont go in the corn unless I lead the way. Which to me seems pointless if its just the 2 of us. Wondering if anyone has advice on how to get her to go in by herself.

Ive considered a 2nd dog, specific for hunting. Ive been redd reading that pointers are best for solo hunting for covering ground. I am also wanting to grouse hunt, and everything I read says pointers arethe ticket. Is this right? Will a pointer be as pointless in standing corn as I imagine (not being able to see the dog). Was looking at American Britts, drahthaars, & Wirehaired pointing griffons.

Also would like a dog that can retrieve field geese, and early duck from water. Not looking for a waterfowl specific dog per say. LOVE the size and look of chessies. Also considered goldens or a lab.

Any input, words for thought, advice would be greatly appreciated

will-kelly

Re: Upland starter

Post by will-kelly » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:35 pm

It sounds like you're dog is lacking prey drive. A good hunting dog won't care if they are in corn, grouse woods, hay fields or tumble weeds. Their natural prey drive will carry them into the corn because their genetics tell them to hunt. Some will range far others will stay close but the drive takes over and they won't be at your heals or behind you.

As for the breed questions I would recommend you get around a bunch of breeds and look for proven pedigree. Our won't guarantee you a Gateway dog. It will give you a better chance then a breeding that doesn't care about the results.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:28 pm

Where did you get your pup? How old is it? Was it from hunting lines? My guess is no. Spaniels and labs have pretty severe splits between the bench and field lines. A field bred dog may be in order if your current pup doesn't work as a hunter.

But more info would help.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:00 pm

StrAp44 wrote:Relatively new to pheasant hunting, been figuring it out for a couple seasons now. My question is about hunting standing corn. The game lands where I hunt (in PA), keep rows of standing corn up a majority of the season and dont begin cutting it until bear and deer season. My dog (mostly just a house pet) wont go in the corn unless I lead the way. Which to me seems pointless if its just the 2 of us. Wondering if anyone has advice on how to get her to go in by herself.

Ive considered a 2nd dog, specific for hunting. Ive been redd reading that pointers are best for solo hunting for covering ground. I am also wanting to grouse hunt, and everything I read says pointers arethe ticket. Is this right? Will a pointer be as pointless in standing corn as I imagine (not being able to see the dog). Was looking at American Britts, drahthaars, & Wirehaired pointing griffons.

Also would like a dog that can retrieve field geese, and early duck from water. Not looking for a waterfowl specific dog per say. LOVE the size and look of chessies. Also considered goldens or a lab.

Try planting a few birds in the standing corn and see if she gets over her reluctance. Usually that is all it takes.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:22 am

Going on the species of birds you hunt I would be looking at a American Field Bred Labrador Retriever from a reputable breeder.

Pheasanttracker

Upland starter

Post by Pheasanttracker » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 am

I hunt PA and one problem is the law prohibits hunting standing crop without owner permission. It becomes frustrating at times. I usually send the dog in (I have a pudelpointer and hunt with a guy with a griffon) but the birds run til the end of the corn. Yes I max limit routinely but not my favorite type of hunting. She also hunts both grouse and waterfowl from kayak. The griffon is a hunting machine for retrieving geese in moving water. I suggest you check both of these breeds as well

StrAp44

Post by StrAp44 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Current dog is a 4 year old mutt that I got from a pound when she was a puppy. It was before I really started getting into bird hunting. I dont regret getting her bt any means but I think its time she retires to the couch and yard, while I get a 2nd dog specific for the field.

Thanks for the input everyone. It kind of confirmed my thoughts, a lab. I really like the looks of shaggy pointers, but i feel the lab is the right direction.

Also from what ive read and people have told me a retriever/flusher is much easier to train. Is it really much hard to train a pointer? I really love the looks of the pointers.

Thanks again everyone. Hopefully a puppy is in the future. Whats the best time of the year to get one or age to start training at?

zrp

Post by zrp » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:07 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
StrAp44 wrote:Relatively new to pheasant hunting, been figuring it out for a couple seasons now. My question is about hunting standing corn. The game lands where I hunt (in PA), keep rows of standing corn up a majority of the season and dont begin cutting it until bear and deer season. My dog (mostly just a house pet) wont go in the corn unless I lead the way. Which to me seems pointless if its just the 2 of us. Wondering if anyone has advice on how to get her to go in by herself.

Try planting a few birds in the standing corn and see if she gets over her reluctance. Usually that is all it takes.

+1

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Stay out of the standing corn!.....if a row or three are left standing, walk the edge.
Those pheasants are state-released and while PA does a good job with them, the birds soon learn to scoot when they hear dog or human and, corn is noisy.
Bettter options exist.

Look for the nice switch fields or good grass and hunt opposite the way you see others hunt, walk the woods next to the fields if it is in Gamelands, look for the fields well off the road and go during the week.

As to a dog, please do not buy a pup if it is your first.
Consider a trained dog of some measure....there are sadly some found in shelters after hunting season....check Michigan.
As to breed, the PGC Gamelands are often next to roads....a good ol' lab is not a bad choice for that manner of hunting scenarios where range can be a danger to pup.
Again, a puppy is not always the wisest choice.....an older dog helos you learn.

StrAp44

Post by StrAp44 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:43 am

So I have the opportunity to invest in a puppy from a well bred drahthaar line, the pup would be ready for pick up by the end of February/start of march. And since the breeder is local, he will help me train the dog.

I love my current hunting companion, but she makes a better house dog. I guess what im wondering is:
Will having a house dog affect the training of the hunting dog? Or should I make due for now and later years down the road get a bird dog?

Also is spring the best time to get a puppy as far as time to train before next season?

Thanks for any and all help folks

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:44 pm

I see no reason why you can't have your current pup and the DD. You will train your DD away from your current dog because puppies are easily distracted and you don't want the headache. As far as it being ready, that depends on the dog, the trainer, and your expectations. A pups first season is a learning experience.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Wyobio

Re:

Post by Wyobio » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:56 pm

StrAp44 wrote:So I have the opportunity to invest in a puppy from a well bred drahthaar line, the pup would be ready for pick up by the end of February/start of march. And since the breeder is local, he will help me train the dog.

I love my current hunting companion, but she makes a better house dog. I guess what im wondering is:
Will having a house dog affect the training of the hunting dog? Or should I make due for now and later years down the road get a bird dog?

Also is spring the best time to get a puppy as far as time to train before next season?

Thanks for any and all help folks
The bird dogs I have had were all born late winter/early spring, and all hunted pretty well their first fall season (looking mostly to set the dog up for success, keeping things fun, avoiding bad habits). There should be no issues with having another dog, other than leaving it behind when you go out with the pup! Always hunt your pup alone.

On another note DD's are pretty high energy dogs. It will need LOTS of exercise and activity to keep it out of trouble :wink:

GrouseChaser7

Post by GrouseChaser7 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:59 pm

QuillGordon wrote:Going on the species of birds you hunt I would be looking at a American Field Bred Labrador Retriever from a reputable breeder.

Beautiful Lab!