First North Dakota Hunt

ctcahoe

First North Dakota Hunt

Post by ctcahoe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:19 pm

I just got back last night from my first time in North Dakota hunting pheasants. I had an opportunity to hunt with a friend whose family owns some prime pheasant ground. The first day I had some trouble getting my safety off before shooting, I may have been a little too anxious. :D We also had some bad luck with the birds, some of the roosters were flushing right over the dogs head or too far out of range. The second day we had some better luck. I ended up getting two and my buddy bagged three. It was the first time working my pointing lab on wild birds, so it was definitely a learning experience. We worked through a lot of cattails and the birds were very jumpy, so he didn't get any nice points in. He did a great job getting birds back to me before I even had my gun loaded back up. He also found a downed pheasant in cattails that would have been impossible for someone to find without a dog. It was a lot of driving, but worth it for sure!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CPR Lock N' Load Leo

deseeker

Re: First North Dakota Hunt

Post by deseeker » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:54 pm

Glad you had a good time hunting phez in ND. ND has been my favorite road trips for pheasants :D I didn't get to go up there this year :cry: Maybe I'll go twice next year. Go early in the season and you'll find the birds not as jumpy and easier to get pointed. You can usually find them in lighter cover earlier in the year(not as much work for you & the dog). I'll bet you make a trip to ND. every year from here on out---it is a great experience for both you and the dog :!:

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:46 pm

Even if it's not as good as the glory days, it's still worth going north to chase pheasant out in God's country. Those are some nice looking birds that you bagged too.

Ateup

Post by Ateup » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:45 pm

The pheasant are fun in ND but if you want a new bad habit go up in September and hunt the sharptail..... You will be hooked. Nice looking dog!