Getting my first GSP back soon.

Rolltide93

Getting my first GSP back soon.

Post by Rolltide93 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Hey guys I will be getting my first true hunting dog back within the next week, Should I treat him any differently now that he's trained? is there anything I should be aware of before he gets home? thanks!

Windyhills

Re: Getting my first GSP back soon.

Post by Windyhills » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:27 pm

Yea. Take the attitude that he's not fully trained until he shows that to you, where you work, on the birds you like to work.

Ideally the trainer will have you work with him before you get the dog back at the trainers place to help with the transition.

Rolltide93

Post by Rolltide93 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:47 am

I've been training with the guy for the last week getting ready. but he is an inside dog is there anything I should do differently now that he's a hunting dog?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:59 am

Just be consistent with his field commands. Nothing else needed. He might need a refresher on the potty training if he's been in a kennel at the trainer's place. That's all.

Rolltide93

Post by Rolltide93 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:51 pm

I appreciate the replies! hopefully he will be quick to relearn its not a good thing to pee in the house!

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:15 am

Rolltide93 wrote:I appreciate the replies! hopefully he will be quick to relearn its not a good thing to pee in the house!
If he was house trained before he left you shouldn't have to retrain him. I have dogs that go in the kennel everyday and in the house at night and go off to training and they don't pee in the house.

Rolltide93

Post by Rolltide93 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:32 am

MillerClemsonHD wrote:
Rolltide93 wrote:I appreciate the replies! hopefully he will be quick to relearn its not a good thing to pee in the house!
If he was house trained before he left you shouldn't have to retrain him. I have dogs that go in the kennel everyday and in the house at night and go off to training and they don't pee in the house.
The family will be very glad to hear this ha.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:50 pm

learn from the trainer how he handled the dog in the field. use the same commands if he used come you don't want to use hear to call the dog back.you don't want to confuse the dog