Garmin delta upland

onuhunter02

Garmin delta upland

Post by onuhunter02 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:00 am

Im looking at the garmin upland and on the current collar depending on the terrain I use the beeper for pointing and occasional to locate the dog. I have read on here that it sometimes turns off and does spuratic stuff. For the function I would use it I see it has the hawk and the beep. My question is the malfunctions that happen is that a common issue or is that isolated incidents and can you control the volume of the noise it makes on the pointing feature.

deseeker

Re: Garmin delta upland

Post by deseeker » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:09 am

You can't control the volumn, but you can muffle it by putting duct tape over the speaker.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:41 pm

onuhunter02 wrote:Im looking at the garmin upland and on the current collar depending on the terrain I use the beeper for pointing and occasional to locate the dog. I have read on here that it sometimes turns off and does spuratic stuff. For the function I would use it I see it has the hawk and the beep. My question is the malfunctions that happen is that a common issue or is that isolated incidents and can you control the volume of the noise it makes on the pointing feature.
I believe it has a high/low option. The low is still pretty loud, especially when you try it out in the house! When you are outside and the wind is blowing, it does not seem loud at all. I run beepers on my dogs, and I always start out with tape over the "speaker". It does not take the dog long to get used to it.

I have had 2 of the most recent TT (Garmin) beepers, both randomly turn themselves off and sometimes on. When they shut themselves off, you have to manually turn them back on again, which is kind of problematic if the dog is on point somewhere in thick cover and you have no idea where it is! Very annoying. They need to update that design, I still run the old model on my dogs, they are reliable as long as you keep some spare 9V batteries around ...

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:32 pm

take a look at the astro collars. I have a two dog unit you can hunt silent. and know where the dog are at all times. I have found the birds hold better you get more points. you can mark way points such as your truck and it will take you right back. it will page you if the dog is on point. tell you how far and point to where the dogs at. just saying you might like yours as much as I like mine

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:52 am

setterpoint wrote:take a look at the astro collars. I have a two dog unit you can hunt silent. and know where the dog are at all times. I have found the birds hold better you get more points. you can mark way points such as your truck and it will take you right back. it will page you if the dog is on point. tell you how far and point to where the dogs at. just saying you might like yours as much as I like mine
Definitely worth looking at. I have the Alpha (GPS/trainer combo). Once I hit 45, I have needed reading glasses to see up close :( While the GPS location function is reassuring, I find the need to stop, get out my glasses, then pick up and look at the display to be distracting. They also may not work very well and give false direction when hunting steep canyon country. I have had several experiences where I was wandering around trying to figure out where the dog was on point, and birds flushed behind me! I had walked right past my dog, who was hidden behind some rocks, while I wandered around looking at the display on the unit. I have also had it tell me the dog was one direction, when I could see her on point in the opposite direction. Too much stopping and looking at a gizmo IMHO.

I run the point only mode on the beepers, and only turn them on when I am unsure of the dogs location. I have not found that birds get spooky from the beepers when they are used this way. It makes way less of a racket then the constant clang of a bell around the dogs neck.....
Just my .02 cents....