Notice anything odd about this "quail"

GSP4ME

Notice anything odd about this "quail"

Post by GSP4ME » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:32 pm

http://youtu.be/0DvF56Z-oKY

The worst part is that the son seems to know something isn't right questioning the yellow and if it's in fact a quail but clueless father/teacher just can't be bothered with reality.
Last edited by GSP4ME on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NC Quailhunter

Re: Notice anything odd about this "quail"

Post by NC Quailhunter » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:06 pm

They don't look like that here. Maybe I should say I have never seen one that looks like that.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:15 pm

The KS state bird.
Steve

zrp

Post by zrp » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:21 pm

As a teenager I went w a group of older guys and a greenhorn a few yes older than me. They let him shoot a 10 bird quail limit before they told him they were all meadowlarks just like this one.

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Uh . . . there are NO quail (anywhere) that look like a meadowlark.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:19 pm

zrp wrote:As a teenager I went w a group of older guys and a greenhorn a few yes older than me. They let him shoot a 10 bird quail limit before they told him they were all meadowlarks just like this one.
Sorry if I sound like a jerk but..

10 living things killed for a good hearty laugh? Really??

Not cool at all

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:20 pm

There's another video on his channel that looks like they're hunting more "quail." This is a crime in NoDak... It's the state bird there.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:44 pm

Meadowlark in Ontario too.

Turn it into a lesson about being able to identify your birds before shooting. Especially important when it comes to ducks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:12 pm

Wonder how it cooked up. Hard to believe he had no clue.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:16 pm

Why would anyone post AND INCRIMINATE someone that shot a songbird? I don't get it.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:27 pm

again the worst part to me besides training his dog to just run through fields and shoot anything that happens to fly up in front of him is the fact that the son knew something wasnt right but his dad just reassured him that he had in fact killed his first quail.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:20 am

It looks like he edited that video so you don't get a full look at the bird, but you can still see the yellow underbelly.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:32 am

mnaj_springer wrote:It looks like he edited that video so you don't get a full look at the bird, but you can still see the yellow underbelly.

yep and he also disabled the comments. Where several people had set him straight on his bird identification skills.

zrp

Post by zrp » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:16 pm

Tooling wrote:
zrp wrote:As a teenager I went w a group of older guys and a greenhorn a few yes older than me. They let him shoot a 10 bird quail limit before they told him they were all meadowlarks just like this one.

Not cool at all
I don't disagree. Wasn't there that particular day. But they did introduce a few youngsters to the sport of hunting. And I'd be a hypocrite if I judged too much because I gunned down a few birds w my red rider as a small child.

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:34 pm

Didnt get to see anything. But I will say I couldnt stand hunting with that kind of noise. I dont talk, yell or whistle when I hunt. The dude would have drove me bonkers.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:11 pm

Munster wrote:Didnt get to see anything. But I will say I couldnt stand hunting with that kind of noise. I dont talk, yell or whistle when I hunt. The dude would have drove me bonkers.
+100 I saw another of his videos. The dog was on point and then was told to whoa...stay...easy...whoa...stay.... Until finally the dog moved on. The dog had my heartfelt sympathy.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:18 pm

zrp wrote:
Tooling wrote:

Not cool at all
I don't disagree. Wasn't there that particular day. But they did introduce a few youngsters to the sport of hunting. And I'd be a hypocrite if I judged too much because I gunned down a few birds w my red rider as a small child.
Thanks for not getting bent over my comment as it wasn't meant to be judgmental toward you, like you I had a Red Ryder too. I also think that most hunters would acknowledge some regretful things that have transpired as their hunting career evolved - that story struck me as particularly distasteful.

*edited

Quail are not difficult to identify at all...shame the guy in the video seems to value success or whatever you want to call it over fact...he's got a handsome dog.
Last edited by Tooling on Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:35 am

I personally know of two individuals that were prosecuted for the EVIDENCE they posted on a BB. Both were waterfowl violations so it was federal and expensive. His turn will come and not soon enough. Yup, I'm judgemental. Jerk shouldn't be hunting period if he can't identify the GAME bird he's after.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:30 am

gonehuntin' wrote:I personally know of two individuals that were prosecuted for the EVIDENCE they posted on a BB. Both were waterfowl violations so it was federal and expensive. His turn will come and not soon enough. Yup, I'm judgemental. Jerk shouldn't be hunting period if he can't identify the GAME bird he's after.

Me too, my brother was actually able to find the guy poaching deer on his land in NC bc the guy posted pics of the deer he killed on a public forum as he the deer was laying on the ground in front of my brothers feeder. Didn't help the guy that my brother was a NC dept of wildlife employee at the time. But again, this guys biggest crime to me is steering his son wrong and getting him started on the wrong foot.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:16 pm

GSP4ME wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:I personally know of two individuals that were prosecuted for the EVIDENCE they posted on a BB. Both were waterfowl violations so it was federal and expensive. His turn will come and not soon enough. Yup, I'm judgemental. Jerk shouldn't be hunting period if he can't identify the GAME bird he's after.

Me too, my brother was actually able to find the guy poaching deer on his land in NC bc the guy posted pics of the deer he killed on a public forum as he the deer was laying on the ground in front of my brothers feeder. Didn't help the guy that my brother was a NC dept of wildlife employee at the time. But again, this guys biggest crime to me is steering his son wrong and getting him started on the wrong foot.
Neat story about your brother.

You have to think, this kid's dad must have been just plain stupid.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:58 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
GSP4ME wrote:

Neat story about your brother.

You have to think, this kid's dad must have been just plain stupid.
Not necessarily stupid but no respect for animal life or our laws that are designed to protect them. Maybe you are right, it does sound stupid.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

zrp

Post by zrp » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks for not getting bent over my comment as it wasn't meant to be judgmental toward you, like you I had a Red Ryder too. I also think that most hunters would acknowledge some regretful things that have transpired as their hunting career evolved - that story struck me as particularly distasteful.

*edited

Quail are not difficult to identify at all...shame the guy in the video seems to value success or whatever you want to call it over fact...he's got a handsome dog.[/quote]

Hunting ethics are a big deal and something we have to be constantly conscious of. I should have clarified initially that that was behavior that should not be condoned. That was about 25 yrs ago so a little different time but still inappropriate. That kid who was the butt of the joke now fishes for a living so I guess he's getting the last laugh.